Bacon Biscuits

  • odironchefs
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 17, 2013
      Made this for breakfast!! Was so good!!!

      3 strips lean bacon( or as much you want)
      2 cups all purpose flour
      2 teaspoons baking powder
      1/2 teaspoon backing soda
      1 teaspoon salt
      1 teaspoon unsalted butter,soften
      2/3 cup butter milk(might need 1 cup)
      melted butter or buttermilk for brushing tops

      Preheat dutch oven to 450 F
      fry bacon in cast iron skillet or frying pan until crisp. Pour off 1 teaspoon of the rendered fat as the bacon fries and reserve it. Crumble the bacon.
      In a bowl,mix together the flour,baking powder,baking soda,and salt. Sprinkle the reserved bacon fat over the flour and add the butter. Using your fingers,rub in the fat until it disappears into the dry ingredients. Add the bacon and buttermilk and stir until the dough is soft and light but not sticky. Turn dough out onto a floured board.
      With floured hands,knead the dough just until smooth. Do not over work. Roll dough out to a 3/4 inch thickness and cut out biscuits with a 3 inch round biscuit cutter. Place the bisuits in the greased dutch oven. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes,at which point the biscuits should have a gloden brown top. Remove from the oven and immedinately brush tops with melted butter or buttermilk. Serve warm.

      Recipe came from the cookbook Judith Olney on Bread.
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 17, 2013
        I'd have to at least double the bacon! Ronda