Re: [dutchovencooking] Question for Jim & anyone else

    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 6, 2013
      We have great success baking cakes right in the dutch oven itself -- no cake pans needed. Makes for less things to haul. Helps build the patina on the oven. And fun to show. We butter the sides of a cold oven, then dust with either some of the cake mix, or flour. Shake excess off into a bowl to mix remaining ingredients. We add about 5 minutes to the normal home oven cooking time since you are starting with a cold oven rather than a pre-heated oven. When done, remove from heat, remove lid and dump coals off lid. Usually you can see it starting to pull from the sides. We still run a knife around the outside to trim. Replace lid and using leather gloves, flip over onto a lid stand. Tap the bottom a couple times, and pull the pot off. Then, we practice our flipping skills by tossing it up in the air to land right-side up on the lid.

      From: Wally Dennis mailto:wally.dennis%40yahoo.com>
      To: "mailto:dutchovencooking%40yahoogroups.com" mailto:dutchovencooking%40yahoogroups.com>
      CC:

      Why put a pot in the Dutch Oven to cook in.  Ive been cooking in DO for 20 Years and have never put a liner or other container in the Do to cook something in.  That's the way I was taught to do it.   Easier clean up and if pots are seasoned good the ingredients come right out and easy clean up. Ive done bread, muffin cakes Cinnamon rolls sticky buns and not had a problem.

      Wally

      From: Ridn' mailto:ridnandsmiln%40yahoo.com>
      To: "mailto:dutchovencooking%40yahoogroups.com" mailto:dutchovencooking%40yahoogroups.com>
      CC:

      I am interested in u'r using the DO as an oven & baking,  etc in it. I have just had handles removed from an #6 & #7 fry pans w/ same thought to use them for baking. I am busy thinking about how I am going to get the pan w/cooked item, OUT of the DO Pot???? I plan w/o having done it b-4, to set the cooking pan on a trivet in the DO to cook. In Canton Pie Class they had the class fold 3 separate parchment paper lengths that were under the pie crust while it cooked & then you were to lift the baked cooled pie out w/ the long folded parchment papers. All ideas happily accepted. Thanks, Ridn'

      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 6, 2013
        Pie crust isn't as flexible as say a cake once cooked, so by using the parchment it allows you to remove the pie from the pot if that is what you desire to do. Obviously with 6 grab points and only 2 hands, assistance is needed, or you could cretively make a hoop to put all 6 grab points thru the center and fold over the sides, then a plate or slightly larger ring on top to secure them from slipping, then lift it out. Some may choose to serve the pie directly from the pan. Others may choose to use a liner pan such as the cast iron pie pan that Camp Chef makes for this purpose.

        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 6, 2013
          Exactly Mark, I have done hundreds this way. And yes, hundreds. We do pizza's as a hands on demo with the Varsity Scouts at the Mesa District Mountain Man Rendezvous. We have 800 to 1,000 boys at each, and each team that comes to the Dutch Oven Outpost makes a pizza.

          Richard

          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 7, 2013
            Nice Tip Mark. Another use would to be use Bakers Joy. It has the flour in the can.

            Another tip would be, if your are burning the bottom? Too many coals are underneath. You just need to put just a ring under the outside edge.

            Biscuit