Re: [dutchovencooking] Question for Jim & anyone else

  • Wally Dennis
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 29, 2013
      Randy
      I'm 74 years young had 5 bypasses and on O2.  I've gone to Aluminum ovens when I travel using my Aliner trailer cuts weight a bunch.  I carry a GSI 10" inside a 12" with 2 hard anodized skillets in a 12' Bag,.  Lighter than a single 12 Cast Iron.  C Dub said he cuts the legs of of his 12" and sets all of the ovens inside a GSI 14" in a 14" bag, when he was running the rivers in Norther Idaho for the Govt.  I cant bring myself to cut the legs off of a $100.00 oven.  I also carry a 12" Camp Chef Al. oven.  A 10" and 12" GSI aluminum and a 12" aluminum Camp Chef will Nest together in a 12" deep dutch oven Bag.  Aluminum ovens are 1/3 the weight ov Cast Iron.  I use the Hard anodized ovens they act like teflon coated   No seasoning to worry about and I only use 1 or 2 drops of cooking oil when cooking.
      Just my 2cts worth
      Wally

      From: Wally Dennis mailto:wally.dennis%40yahoo.com>
      To: "mailto:dutchovencooking%40yahoogroups.com" mailto:dutchovencooking%40yahoogroups.com>
      CC:

      Why put a pot in the Dutch Oven to cook in.  Ive been cooking in DO for 20 Years and have never put a liner or other container in the Do to cook something in.  That's the way I was taught to do it.   Easier clean up and if pots are seasoned good the ingredients come right out and easy clean up. Ive done bread, muffin cakes Cinnamon rolls sticky buns and not had a problem.

      Wally

      From: Ridn' mailto:ridnandsmiln%40yahoo.com>
      To: "mailto:dutchovencooking%40yahoogroups.com" mailto:dutchovencooking%40yahoogroups.com>
      CC:

      I am interested in u'r using the DO as an oven & baking,  etc in it. I have just had handles removed from an #6 & #7 fry pans w/ same thought to use them for baking. I am busy thinking about how I am going to get the pan w/cooked item, OUT of the DO Pot???? I plan w/o having done it b-4, to set the cooking pan on a trivet in the DO to cook. In Canton Pie Class they had the class fold 3 separate parchment paper lengths that were under the pie crust while it cooked & then you were to lift the baked cooled pie out w/ the long folded parchment papers. All ideas happily accepted. Thanks, Ridn'

    • Mike
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 29, 2013
        Wally Dennis wrote: "Why put a pot in the Dutch Oven to cook in?"

        If I'm doing an all day demo and cooking cobbler followed by monkey bread followed by a crisp - I'll use a liner and explain to the folks why. I pretty much keep the pot on a greater or lesser amount of coals all day long that way and don't have to cool it off in order to wash it.

        Mike
      • Carter Crump
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 29, 2013
          When baking, I use a round 12" wire cooling rack in the bottem of my 12" oven. Sometimes I cover the rack with foil for breads. I use kitchen spray to keep food from sticking to the foil. The nice thing about the rack is it keeps your food off the bottom of the pot so the item being baked doen't burn on the bottom. I have several ceramic casserole dishes for baking also.  If I am using my Lodge 16”, I place a pizza pan on the bottom turned up-side down.  I am please with the results and that I am not burning food to the bottom of my pot.   This reduces cleaning and clean up time.  Have fun baking.

          Carter Crump
          Cast Iron Cooking Club
          Old Hickory Council
          5104 Ramillie Run
          Winston-Salem, NC 27106
          Phone 336-650-2711

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 29, 2013
            Nice idea Carter.  My sister needed to bake a 3 layer cake.  She had her own bake pans and I provided the heat and vessels.
            I used aluminum pie plates upside down to rest cake pans on.

            Ahmmm, she even admitted the cakes I baked with cast iron was better than she baked in her home oven.  She didnt trust the ole cast iron and baked the night before to ease her mind.

            Randy Hebert

            www.LeChienCookers.com

            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 30, 2013
              Thanks for the wise advice Wally. Wayne and Patti over in Texas have given me the Aluminum load demonstration and I have to say I like it. As a matter of fact it was their pizza pan I saw that impressed me the most and I ran out and bought me one. It comes under the heading of "Cast Iron I own that hasn't been used yet!" But I will!
              I have the matching #14 DO lid and all I need to do is fab a band from stainless to complete the arrangement I am looking for. I also own a couple extra #12 lids to make a smaller pizza device AND, I own an extra #10 lid for the personal pizza at camp when I have to camp alone.
              For now as I was telling folks on my Facebook page, me and Rheo (the prosthetic leg) are doing pretty good. Not by my testimony but rather my physical therapist and prosthetic guru. Apparently me and Rheo need to know each other better and experience is all I need before being weaned from walking devices. I move slow and unsure of myself especially with a load but I am improving. Just after a visit with guru and hearing his suggestions I feel like I have improved more this afternoon as I was loading the truck for this weekend.
              I have been needing to evaluate what I need to bring to a DOG and I am slowly reducing the "stuff" I bring. I also know how to cheat! I bring my fold up wheelchair with me for transporting heavy stuff for a distance and I can always plop my butt in it and move around if the terrain is smooth. As I move about walking with the wheelchair it also doubles as my granny walker but with 4 wheels!

              Thanks again for your advice. I will likely resort to utilizing it in the future but right now, I'm bringing what I already have!
              Randy Bear

              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 31, 2013
                Randy
                Glad to be able to help.  Have you looked at Robert Murphy,s web site.  He has a lot of stuff for dutch oven cooking.  his Email is mrdutchoven.com.  He has both 12 and 14 inch pizza rings with stands for the inverted lids or Pizza pans.
                If you go to aluminum ovens my advice stick with the hard anodized.  Well worth the extra cost.  When home mine go in the dish washer.  Just my 2cts worth.
                Wally

[...]

              • Barb7513
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 6, 2013
                  I would suggest that if you're experiencing burning things on the bottom, then you have too many coals underneath. Might try reducing the amount underneath for a better result

                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 6, 2013
                    We just turn the oven over and use the lid for the pizza, and the pot for the top. When done, remove the pot and I use a pizza wheel and slice it right on the lid, and slide off the pieces to serve. Do pans needed or pliers to try and fish out of the bottom of a pot. We love to do this at demo's & classes. It shows the versatility of a Dutch oven and how a lid can also be used to cook with. We use it this way for cheese crisps (quesadilla's), frying bacon, onions saute, etc.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 6, 2013
                      We have great success baking cakes right in the dutch oven itself -- no cake pans needed. Makes for less things to haul. Helps build the patina on the oven. And fun to show. We butter the sides of a cold oven, then dust with either some of the cake mix, or flour. Shake excess off into a bowl to mix remaining ingredients. We add about 5 minutes to the normal home oven cooking time since you are starting with a cold oven rather than a pre-heated oven. When done, remove from heat, remove lid and dump coals off lid. Usually you can see it starting to pull from the sides. We still run a knife around the outside to trim. Replace lid and using leather gloves, flip over onto a lid stand. Tap the bottom a couple times, and pull the pot off. Then, we practice our flipping skills by tossing it up in the air to land right-side up on the lid.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 6, 2013
                        Pie crust isn't as flexible as say a cake once cooked, so by using the parchment it allows you to remove the pie from the pot if that is what you desire to do. Obviously with 6 grab points and only 2 hands, assistance is needed, or you could cretively make a hoop to put all 6 grab points thru the center and fold over the sides, then a plate or slightly larger ring on top to secure them from slipping, then lift it out. Some may choose to serve the pie directly from the pan. Others may choose to use a liner pan such as the cast iron pie pan that Camp Chef makes for this purpose.

                        I am interested in u'r using the DO as an oven & baking, etc in it. I have just had handles removed from an #6 & #7 fry pans w/ same thought to use them for baking. I am busy thinking about how I am going to get the pan w/cooked item, OUT of the DO Pot???? I plan w/o having done it b-4, to set the cooking pan on a trivet in the DO to cook. In Canton Pie Class they had the class fold 3 seperate parchment paper lengths that were under the pie crust while it cooked & then you were to lift the baked cooled pie out w/ the long folded parchment papers. All ideas happily accepted. Thanks, Ridn'

                      • Richard Young
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 6, 2013
                          Exactly Mark, I have done hundreds this way. And yes, hundreds. We do pizza's as a hands on demo with the Varsity Scouts at the Mesa District Mountain Man Rendezvous. We have 800 to 1,000 boys at each, and each team that comes to the Dutch Oven Outpost makes a pizza.

                          Richard

                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 7, 2013
                            Nice Tip Mark. Another use would to be use Bakers Joy. It has the flour in the can.

                            Another tip would be, if your are burning the bottom? Too many coals are underneath. You just need to put just a ring under the outside edge.

                            Biscuit