Re: [dutchovencooking] Re: Teaching Dutch oven cooking

  • Meredith Poffenberger
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 24, 2013
      You're very welcome. My father was an Eagle Scout and I was a Girl Scout growing up. My mother was a Den Mother. And now I am a GS leader for my daughter's Brownie troop. Thanks for thanking.

      Meredith

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 25, 2013
        Tom, that is what they make batteries for. Check out batterygeeks.com

        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, tpstauffer@... wrote:

        > I was accepted to be on Staff for the last Jamboree at AP Hill, but I had to bow out, as I had no mechanism to use my CPAP machine. Doing DP Demos would be a hoot, but my schedule this year is packed.
        > Tom

      • judyrowlee
        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 25, 2013
          I have one of those CPAP batteries. One has to balance the price (it was
          around $300) and the weight (65 lbs.) and how long it will last and where
          will you charge it? I got one that would last a three day weekend of
          camping. If you have a humidifier attached to your CPAP machine you will
          probably want to try it without the humidifier part on, as it sucks a lot
          of your power.

          The first weekend Girl Scout camporee I used it, I had a severely sprained
          ankle and would have cancelled the trip but I was the required second adult
          chaperone for the high school aged troop running the event. Bless the Girl
          Scouts who hauled that 65 lb battery AND MY CAST IRON up the hill to the
          upper campsite and back for me!
          Judy

        • barbcox2@aol.com
          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 25, 2013
            The girls in your area are in the GS of Nations capitol. They are served from the office in Martinsburg WV. Their # is 304.263.8833. This is their business number, ask them to distribute the information. They cover, not only your area,but all if the counties around you, except PA. they can also put you in contact with the staff person that covers that area

            Sent via DroidX2 on Verizon Wireless™

            From: Chris Stahl mailto:cjsredfish%40yahoo.com>
            To: "mailto:dutchovencooking%40yahoogroups.com" mailto:dutchovencooking%40yahoogroups.com>
            Cc: "mailto:dutchovencooking%40yahoogroups.com" mailto:dutchovencooking%40ya

          • ctdomike
            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 25, 2013
              I was a 2010 Contingent Leader and made two sets of power packs for some of our other leaders

              1) get the 12v DC adapter for your CPAP from manufacture
              2) I used a one group U1 32ah deep cycle battery, weight about 24lbs (batteries borrowed for Jambo from a dealer)
              3) 20w folding solar panel charger $129.00 eBay
              4) solar panel battery controller $19.99 eBay

              Solar panel was leaned against outside of tent. battery and controller in tent hooked to CPAP. the setup lasted great for Jambo

              I had the same setup for myself except no CPAP, I had 120v inverter and 12v adapters for my, camera chargers, walkie talkies and cell phones

              I've used the solar panel and controller many times since then so it wasn't a one time use

              I'm a 2013 Jambo contingent leader so I'm planning on bring the setup with a smaller battery for my use.

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Jan 24, 2013, at 10:31 PM, tpstauffer@... wrote:

              > I was accepted to be on Staff for the last Jamboree at AP Hill, but I had to bow out, as I had no mechanism to use my CPAP machine. Doing DP Demos would be a hoot, but my schedule this year is packed.
              > Tom

            • Tom
              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 25, 2013
                I was doing some patch trading at the 2005 Jambo and I spoke with a leader who had a setup like that. I wonder if it was you in 05?

                Sent from my iPhone

                On Jan 25, 2013, at 11:42 AM, ctdomike <ctdomike@...> wrote:

                > I was a 2010 Contingent Leader and made two sets of power packs for some of our other leaders
                >
                > 1) get the 12v DC adapter for your CPAP from manufacture
                > 2) I used a one group U1 32ah deep cycle battery, weight about 24lbs (batteries borrowed for Jambo from a dealer)
                > 3) 20w folding solar panel charger $129.00 eBay
                > 4) solar panel battery controller $19.99 eBay
                >
                > Solar panel was leaned against outside of tent. battery and controller in tent hooked to CPAP. the setup lasted great for Jambo
                >
                > I had the same setup for myself except no CPAP, I had 120v inverter and 12v adapters for my, camera chargers, walkie talkies and cell phones
                >
                > I've used the solar panel and controller many times since then so it wasn't a one time use
                >
                > I'm a 2013 Jambo contingent leader so I'm planning on bring the setup with a smaller battery for my use.
                >
                > Sent from my iPhone
                >
                > On Jan 24, 2013, at 10:31 PM, tpstauffer@... wrote:
                >

                > > I was accepted to be on Staff for the last Jamboree at AP Hill, but I had to bow out, as I had no mechanism to use my CPAP machine. Doing DP Demos would be a hoot, but my schedule this year is packed.
                > > Tom

              • Chris Stahl
                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 26, 2013
                  My suggestion is to create a minor competition. In my troop I cut a 4 foot spork out of thin plywood an used to write the patrols name with a sharpie. I would name the category they can do whatever as long as it contained it in a significant way and to win based on taste execution and skill needed. They loved it. No matter what Let them pick the recipes that way they'll want to do it while you picked the overall subject like ground beef or pizza or potatoes or corn. Any "trophy" will be fine as long as the winners are memorialized.

                  Or have them came up their favorite dish made in a DO. Trick is to find anything enjoyable. Theme camp puts are great to do it
                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On Jan 24, 2013, at 5:06 PM, Meredith Poffenberger <merpoff@...> wrote:

                  > Chris, I am wanting to help train my county's Girl Scouts in Dutch Oven cooking. I am hoping they will compete in our Dutch Oven Cook Off in September during a small town festival. Do you have any recommendations on how to get Girl Scouts "on board"? :) Anyone have any suggestions?

                • Meredith Poffenberger
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 27, 2013
                    Thanks. Great idea!