Re: [dutchovencooking] Teaching Dutch oven cooking

  • barbcox2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 24, 2013
      I used to work in your area with GS. Which towns fo you cover and i may have a direct contact for you

      Sent via DroidX2 on Verizon Wireless™

      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 24, 2013

         I am down in NC and might be able to go.  I do DO training here in the Old Hickory Council and I am trained and on the OHC Training Committee.   Is there anyone Ram Roding this training event for the BSA?  Will this DO training be a part of the BSA Cooking Merit Badge?   The dates are July 14-24.

        You can find out about the Bechtel Family Summit on Face Book.  Summit Bechtel Reserve Facebook page.  This will be the first full Jamboree at the Summit.

        To those thinking of going to the Summit for the 2013 BSA National Jambroee I recommend that you check with your local Scout Council and make sure you are properly registered as an adult leader and complete all proper training on line. Most Scout Councils are sending local combined troops to the “Jambo”. You may want to contact your local "Jambo" Council Scout Master for info on the Jamboree. He registers adults and youth going to the event.  He gets training for this event.  The larger troops and councils usually send a large trailer with tents and gear. You might get to send some of your DO gear with the local troop.  These trailers have to be supervised upon loading by a Law Enforcement officer who signs off to make sure no contraband can enter the event.  Security at this event is real experience.

        Troops eat in their camp sites.  There are stores and refreshment areas all over the place.  Parking for personal vehicles is off site.   I would recommend that you plan to enjoy all the events that go along with the National Jamboree.  Go to the 2013 National Jamboree web site for more information.

        The Summit is on top of a mountain.  It is near the New River for river rafting and kayaking..  Plan on camping in tents or in RVs off  the event site. Most hotels are already reserved.  You will have a couple of thousand Cub Scouts (on Day Trips), Boy Scouts, Venture Scouts and Adult Leaders attending this event.

        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 24, 2013
          I'm in Washington County, Maryland. I'm in the town of Sharpsburg but the cook off is open all Girl Scouts. Would mainly like to see all the Wash Co towns enter the contest or at attend my training session in June.

          ________________________________
          I used to work in your area with GS. Which towns fo you cover and i may have a direct contact for you

          Sent via DroidX2 on Verizon Wireless™

          Chris, I am wanting to help train my county's Girl Scouts in Dutch Oven cooking. I am hoping they will compete in our Dutch Oven Cook Off in September during a small town festival. Do you have any recommendations on how to get Girl Scouts "on board"? :)  Anyone have any suggestions?

          ________________________________
          Too bad I can't help out... I'll already be there as I'm the scoutmaster for the local council Jambo contingent. Will be sure to find you all though. I'm teaching Dutch oven 101 this weekend at a university of scouting training.

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Jan 23, 2013, at 10:31 PM, "beeman" mailto:amendment2%40aol.com> wrote:

          > Boy Scouts of America will be having a national Jamboree in Summit, West Virginia through the middle of July this summer. They are looking for LSDOS, IDOS, and any other DOS members to come and help teach Dutch oven cooking at their fish camp during that time. Primarily they would like adult scouters who already have the clearance BSA requires. Barring that they would be happy for any instructors to assist. Potential instructors must be able to pass a backgro

        • beeman
          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 24, 2013
            It is the Summit scout reserve in WV. I am forwarding those who are interested and contact me to the next guy up the line- David Black.

            --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Meredith Poffenberger wrote:

            > Dave, did you get my email? I would be interested in helping possibly. Summit Point, WV? Or The Summit Scout Reserve in WV?
            >

            > ________________________________

          • ct_castauffs
            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 24, 2013
              I was accepted to be on Staff for the last Jamboree at AP Hill, but I had to bow out, as I had no mechanism to use my CPAP machine. Doing DP Demos would be a hoot, but my schedule this year is packed.
              Tom

              It is the Summit scout reserve in WV. I am forwarding those who are interested and contact me to the next guy up the line- David Black.

              --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Meredith Poffenberger wrote:

              > Dave, did you get my email? I would be interested in helping possibly. Summit Point, WV? Or The Summit Scout Reserve in WV?
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Ken
              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 24, 2013
                I want to take a minute here and thank all of you who volunteer to work with both the Boy Scouts and the Girl Scouts.

                The scouts represent the best of the next generation of leaders. Thank you for taking the time to help them.

                Ken

                --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "beeman" wrote:

                > It is the Summit scout reserve in WV. I am forwarding those who are interested and contact me to the next guy up the line- David Black.
                >
                > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Meredith Poffenberger wrote:
                > >
                > > Dave, did you get my email? I would be interested in helping possibly. Summit Point, WV? Or The Summit Scout Reserve in WV?
                > >

                > > ________________________________

              • ct_castauffs
                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 24, 2013
                  Welcome....I should have put in for a 25 year veteran pin, but, I never was a "knot wearer". My uniform was always plain. I did Scouts for kids, not for me.
                  Tom

                  I want to take a minute here and thank all of you who volunteer to work with both the Boy Scouts and the Girl Scouts.

                  The scouts represent the best of the next generation of leaders. Thank you for taking the time to help them.

                  Ken

                  --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "beeman" wrote:

                  > It is the Summit scout reserve in WV. I am forwarding those who are interested and contact me to the next guy up the line- David Black.
                  >
                  > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Meredith Poffenberger wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Dave, did you get my email? I would be interested in helping possibly. Summit Point, WV? Or The Summit Scout Reserve in WV?
                  > >

                  > > ________________________________

                • Meredith Poffenberger
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 24, 2013
                    You're very welcome. My father was an Eagle Scout and I was a Girl Scout growing up. My mother was a Den Mother. And now I am a GS leader for my daughter's Brownie troop. Thanks for thanking.

                    Meredith

                    ________________________________
                    I want to take a minute here and thank all of you who volunteer to work with both the Boy Scouts and the Girl Scouts.

                    The scouts represent the best of the next generation of leaders. Thank you for taking the time to help them.

                    Ken

                    --- In mailto:dutchovencooking%40yahoogroups.com, "beeman" wrote:

                    > It is the Summit scout reserve in WV. I am forwarding those who are interested and contact me to the next guy up the line- David Black.
                    >
                    > --- In mailto:dutchovencooking%40yahoogroups.com, Meredith Poffenberger wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Dave, did you get my email? I would be interested in helping possibly. Summit Point, WV? Or The Summit Scout Reserve in WV?
                    > >

                    > > ________________________________

                  • beeman
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 25, 2013
                      Tom, that is what they make batteries for. Check out batterygeeks.com

                      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, tpstauffer@... wrote:

                      > I was accepted to be on Staff for the last Jamboree at AP Hill, but I had to bow out, as I had no mechanism to use my CPAP machine. Doing DP Demos would be a hoot, but my schedule this year is packed.
                      > Tom

                    • judyrowlee
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 25, 2013
                        I have one of those CPAP batteries. One has to balance the price (it was
                        around $300) and the weight (65 lbs.) and how long it will last and where
                        will you charge it? I got one that would last a three day weekend of
                        camping. If you have a humidifier attached to your CPAP machine you will
                        probably want to try it without the humidifier part on, as it sucks a lot
                        of your power.

                        The first weekend Girl Scout camporee I used it, I had a severely sprained
                        ankle and would have cancelled the trip but I was the required second adult
                        chaperone for the high school aged troop running the event. Bless the Girl
                        Scouts who hauled that 65 lb battery AND MY CAST IRON up the hill to the
                        upper campsite and back for me!
                        Judy

                      • barbcox2@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jan 25, 2013
                          The girls in your area are in the GS of Nations capitol. They are served from the office in Martinsburg WV. Their # is 304.263.8833. This is their business number, ask them to distribute the information. They cover, not only your area,but all if the counties around you, except PA. they can also put you in contact with the staff person that covers that area

                          From: Chris Stahl mailto:cjsredfish%40yahoo.com>
                          To: "mailto:dutchovencooking%40yahoogroups.com" mailto:dutchovencooking%40yahoogroups.com>
                          Cc: "mailto:dutchovencooking%40yahoogroups.com" mailto:dutchovencooking%40ya

                        • ctdomike
                          Message 12 of 27 , Jan 25, 2013
                            I was a 2010 Contingent Leader and made two sets of power packs for some of our other leaders

                            1) get the 12v DC adapter for your CPAP from manufacture
                            2) I used a one group U1 32ah deep cycle battery, weight about 24lbs (batteries borrowed for Jambo from a dealer)
                            3) 20w folding solar panel charger $129.00 eBay
                            4) solar panel battery controller $19.99 eBay

                            Solar panel was leaned against outside of tent. battery and controller in tent hooked to CPAP. the setup lasted great for Jambo

                            I had the same setup for myself except no CPAP, I had 120v inverter and 12v adapters for my, camera chargers, walkie talkies and cell phones

                            I've used the solar panel and controller many times since then so it wasn't a one time use

                            I'm a 2013 Jambo contingent leader so I'm planning on bring the setup with a smaller battery for my use.

                            Sent from my iPhone

                            On Jan 24, 2013, at 10:31 PM, tpstauffer@... wrote:

                            > I was accepted to be on Staff for the last Jamboree at AP Hill, but I had to bow out, as I had no mechanism to use my CPAP machine. Doing DP Demos would be a hoot, but my schedule this year is packed.
                            > Tom

                          • Tom
                            Message 13 of 27 , Jan 25, 2013
                              I was doing some patch trading at the 2005 Jambo and I spoke with a leader who had a setup like that. I wonder if it was you in 05?

                              Sent from my iPhone

                              On Jan 25, 2013, at 11:42 AM, ctdomike <ctdomike@...> wrote:

                              > I was a 2010 Contingent Leader and made two sets of power packs for some of our other leaders
                              >
                              > 1) get the 12v DC adapter for your CPAP from manufacture
                              > 2) I used a one group U1 32ah deep cycle battery, weight about 24lbs (batteries borrowed for Jambo from a dealer)
                              > 3) 20w folding solar panel charger $129.00 eBay
                              > 4) solar panel battery controller $19.99 eBay
                              >
                              > Solar panel was leaned against outside of tent. battery and controller in tent hooked to CPAP. the setup lasted great for Jambo
                              >
                              > I had the same setup for myself except no CPAP, I had 120v inverter and 12v adapters for my, camera chargers, walkie talkies and cell phones
                              >
                              > I've used the solar panel and controller many times since then so it wasn't a one time use
                              >
                              > I'm a 2013 Jambo contingent leader so I'm planning on bring the setup with a smaller battery for my use.
                              >
                              > Sent from my iPhone
                              >
                              > On Jan 24, 2013, at 10:31 PM, tpstauffer@... wrote:
                              >

                              > > I was accepted to be on Staff for the last Jamboree at AP Hill, but I had to bow out, as I had no mechanism to use my CPAP machine. Doing DP Demos would be a hoot, but my schedule this year is packed.
                              > > Tom

                            • Chris Stahl
                              Message 14 of 27 , Jan 26, 2013
                                My suggestion is to create a minor competition. In my troop I cut a 4 foot spork out of thin plywood an used to write the patrols name with a sharpie. I would name the category they can do whatever as long as it contained it in a significant way and to win based on taste execution and skill needed. They loved it. No matter what Let them pick the recipes that way they'll want to do it while you picked the overall subject like ground beef or pizza or potatoes or corn. Any "trophy" will be fine as long as the winners are memorialized.

                                Or have them came up their favorite dish made in a DO. Trick is to find anything enjoyable. Theme camp puts are great to do it
                                Sent from my iPhone

                                On Jan 24, 2013, at 5:06 PM, Meredith Poffenberger <merpoff@...> wrote:

                                > Chris, I am wanting to help train my county's Girl Scouts in Dutch Oven cooking. I am hoping they will compete in our Dutch Oven Cook Off in September during a small town festival. Do you have any recommendations on how to get Girl Scouts "on board"? :) Anyone have any suggestions?

                              • Meredith Poffenberger
                                Message 15 of 27 , Jan 27, 2013
                                  Thanks. Great idea!