Re: What Topics would you like to se at a National DOG Class or Demo?

  • Ken
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 23, 2013
      When I was growing up, that was my introduction to dutch oven cooking. When my dad remodeled our home, he had a big fireplace built in the living room. It had a nice raised hearth so he could rake coals out of the fire.

      On the side of the fireplace he built and installed an upright iron post that would hold a fireplace hook and a grill. It would swivel out from the fire so you could check your foods. Similar designed hooks were featured on some of the older Franklin Stoves.

      The fireplace came in very handy for both heat and cooking, as the electricity would go out at times in the winter. And when it went out it could be several days before the lines were repaired.

      The first thing to remember is to design your fireplace for cooking and make it large enough.

      Ken

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 24, 2013
        That is a good one. At one of our areas in the pavilion is a fire place.

        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "merpoff@..." wrote:

        > Using your DO in a fireplace would be a good topic. Proper venting etc.
      • Meredith Poffenberger
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 24, 2013
          Thanks. It will be helpful for those that lose electricity but can use an empty fireplace in their home with charcoal and a DO to cook.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 24, 2013
            Yes, it is good to cook in a fireplace. I used to live in a house with 5 fireplaces-- built in 1833. We had plans to have "no electricity night" to cook in the large large fireplace and play games and read by candle light. Now I live in a home with no fireplaces. :( My next house will have a fireplace. At least one.

            ________________________________
            When I was growing up, that was my introduction to dutch oven cooking. When my dad remodeled our home, he had a big fireplace built in the living room. It had a nice raised hearth so he could rake coals out of the fire.

            On the side of the fireplace he built and installed an upright iron post that would hold a fireplace hook and a grill. It would swivel out from the fire so you could check your foods. Similar designed hooks were featured on some of the older Franklin Stoves.

            The fireplace came in very handy for both heat and cooking, as the electricity would go out at times in the winter. And when it went out it could be several days before the lines were repaired.

            The first thing to remember is to design your fireplace for cooking and make it large enough.

            Ken

            --- In mailto:dutchovencooking%40yahoogroups.com, "merpoff@..." wrote:

            > Using your DO in a fireplace would be a good topic. Proper venting etc.
            >
            > Sent from my Motorola Smartphone on the Now Network from Sprint!

          • Meredith Poffenberger
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 24, 2013
              The Washington County Rural Heritage Museum here in Maryland teaches hearth cooking. They even did an episode of a local tv show, Cooking Fresh, Cooking Local, on hearth cooking. They might have some good advice for the instructors. Here is a link to their website:

              http://www.ruralheritagemuseum.org/

              ________________________________
              That's a good idea! We have a fireplace. We've used the DO on the wood stove, but not in the fireplace. Ronda

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 24, 2013
                Do NOT use charcoal briquets in the house, not even in the fireplace. Charcoal briquettes emit carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is toxic and will build up indoors. This can cause poisoning, possibly even death. Even a good drawing fireplace won't draw the vapors up the chimney, it will still disperse into the house.
                You can verify that here:
                Dangers of Charcoal Briquettes | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/info_8122802_dangers-charcoal-briquettes.html#ixzz2Iw066AbG
                Ronda

                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 24, 2013
                  OMG so true! I shouldn't have even mentioned it.

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 24, 2013
                    Don't be offended! I just don't want anybody hurt. Cooking on the hearth with wood would be really cool, so I hope they consider that as a demo / class. It was a good idea. Ronda

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 24, 2013
                      No, no. Wasn't offended. I am so glad you said something. You are absolutely right! Real wood coals and hearth cooking is an art. Will be a good demo.

                      ________________________________
                      Don't be offended! I just don't want anybody hurt. Cooking on the hearth with wood would be really cool, so I hope they consider that as a demo / class. It was a good idea. Ronda

                      --- In mailto:dutchovencooking%40yahoogroups.com, Meredith Poffenberger wrote:

                      > OMG so true! I shouldn't have even mentioned it.
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • Rob
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 25, 2013
                        Everything that burns puts out co (carbon monoxide), everything.
                        It is always a danger when you have a fire in an
                        enclosed space. Using the fire place with the flu
                        open should be no 'real' danger no matter what
                        you are burning as long as the fireplace was safe in the first place.

                        http://www.pge.com/mybusiness/edusafety/gaselectric/co/
                        >>Carbon monoxide is a dangerous gas that you
                        cannot smell or see. It is produced as a common
                        by-product of the combustion (burning) of fossil
                        fuels. Most fuel burning equipment (natural gas,
                        gasoline, propane, fuel oil and wood), if
                        properly installed and maintained, produces
                        little carbon monoxide. The by-products of
                        combustion are usually safely vented to the
                        outside. However, if there is a shortage of
                        oxygen to the burner, or the venting is not
                        adequate, carbon monoxide production can increase
                        to dangerous levels. Common sources of carbon
                        monoxide include gasoline engines running in
                        closed garages, fuel-burning space heaters or
                        water heaters with improper venting, and blocked chimneys or vent pipes. <<

                        Rob
                        vwrobb@...
                        lot's more out there on co

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 26, 2013
                          Well, it's your life, but you won't catch me burning it in my fireplace. Ronda