Re: What Topics would you like to se at a National DOG Class or Demo?

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 22, 2013
      A few topics that come to mind would be:
      1. How to smoke meat inside a dutch oven.
      2. Making knock-off items like homemade
      a. Tater Tots
      b. Cream of chicken/broccoli soups
      3. Bacon (from a pork belly)
      4. Meat grinding and making sausages and other ground meats.
      5. Chinese cooking in a DO
      6. Ice cream in a DO.
      7. Crepes with a DO.
      8. Sauces and gravies to garnish the perfect food.
      9. Favorite Mexican dishes.
      10. Deep-frying your favorite items in a DO.
      11. Cooking with alcohol (beer, wine, brandy, whiskey, etc)
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 22, 2013
        Becky could do that demo!! (grin) Ronda

        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Eddie & Becky White" wrote:

        > How about cooking with wood instead of charcoal?
        >
        > On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 6:15 AM, mississippi_biscuit wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > What new topics would you like to see at at National DOG Demo or Class?
        > >
        > > What types of Off Topic but to camping or outdoors topics would you like
        > > to have? Geocash etc....
        > >
        > > I am looking for input, because I am the Demo and Class Director.
        > >
        > > Biscuit

      • Ken
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 22, 2013
          I guess I need to dust off the kitchen sink and bring it with me again.

          You have a good idea, and visiting the different cookers at the DOG can give you a lot of good ideas. Also, looking at the pictures we have posted from past National DOGs might give you some ideas also.

          Ken

          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Lori wrote:

          > An off-topic item that would be fun to do would be getting started on designing a camp kitchen. Especially if we could look at different camp kitchens, all in one place, and talk about the good and bad points of all of them. Perhaps we could even get plans from the builders of some of them that we could look at in order to modify one on our own.
          > Lori

        • Greg Jacobs
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 22, 2013
            Hi Biscuit,What about a demo of the Volcano II? I would be glad to do it!!
            Greg
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 22, 2013
              #5 and #11 are some things I do at home!!Greg

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 22, 2013
                When I get in Demo mode for crisis cooking classes, I used pallets cut up
                into fore arm lengths. Sawsall does a marvelous job. Cut the slats across
                grain next to frame pieces then cut the frames into short sections between
                the short pieces of slats.
                I make a really great pot of rice with pallet material on my disc table with
                my Korean bean pot hanging from tripod. People are amazed every time I do
                it!
                It's the easiest way I have found to cook rice.

                Randy Bear

                On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 6:15 AM, mississippi_biscuit <n5hbb@...>wrote:

                > **
                >

                > What new topics would you like to see at at National DOG Demo or Class?
                >
                > What types of Off Topic but to camping or outdoors topics would you
                > like to have? Geocash etc....
                >
                > I am looking for input, because I am the Demo and Class Director.
                >
                > Biscuit

              • omar alvarez
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 22, 2013
                  Lesley Tennessen and myself cooked at the Famous King Ranch last november , using wood embers instead of briquets ........

                  On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 6:15 AM, mississippi_biscuit mailto:n5hbb%40yahoo.com>wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > What new topics would you like to see at at National DOG Demo or Class?
                  >
                  > What types of Off Topic but to camping or outdoors topics would you
                  > like to have? Geocash etc....
                  >
                  > I am looking for input, because I am the Demo and Class Director.
                  >
                  > Biscuit

                • omar alvarez
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 22, 2013
                    Just posted a pic of Lesley an Myself cooking on the Ranch, check "New photos"  omar

                    Lesley Tennessen and myself cooked at the Famous King Ranch last november , using wood embers instead of briquets ........

                    How about cooking with wood instead of charcoal?

                    On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 6:15 AM, mississippi_biscuit mailto:n5hbb%40yahoo.com>wrote:

                    > **
                    >

                    > What new topics would you like to see at at National DOG Demo or Class?
                    >
                    > What types of Off Topic but to camping or outdoors topics would you
                    > like to have? Geocash etc....
                    >
                    > I am looking for input, because I am the Demo and Class Director.
                    >
                    > Biscuit

                  • mvaemt
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 22, 2013
                      There are many Boy Scout sites that have camp kitchens and plans. This is just one of them.

                      http://www.bsatroop680.org/documents/Plans/default.htm

                      You can also Google pictures camp kitchens and get a large selection of ideas.

                      https://www.google.com/search?q=boy+scout+camp+kitchen+plans&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=6ZU&tbo=u&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=5yn_ULW7O5KC9gS_qoE4&ved=0CDAQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=599

                      Hope this helps.

                      Ken
                      The Other Ken

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 22, 2013
                        Becky
                        Could you put that one on for us? I can put you down for a two hour demo?
                        Biscuit

                        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Eddie & Becky White" wrote:

                        > How about cooking with wood instead of charcoal?
                        >
                        > On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 6:15 AM, mississippi_biscuit wrote:
                        >
                        > > **
                        > >

                        > > What new topics would you like to see at at National DOG Demo or Class?
                        > >
                        > > What types of Off Topic but to camping or outdoors topics would you like
                        > > to have? Geocash etc....
                        > >
                        > > I am looking for input, because I am the Demo and Class Director.
                        > >
                        > > Biscuit

                      • Greg Jacobs
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 22, 2013
                          Biscuit,How about a demo on the use of a Volcano II?
                          Greg Jacobs