Re: My First Cast Iron Restoration Project

  • Barb7513
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 4, 2013
      If it's brownish, then it's not being baked hot enough/long enough.

      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "crosscountrydutchovens" wrote:

      > Great job! Brownish is normal the first bake. If taking it back to original gray iron, it usually takes several more coats of oil before the patina layers start turning black. Looks like your one the road to recovery. I have used the same process before and worked pretty good. One thing that was odd and I wasn't prepared for when I used the oven cleaner - When skillet was starting to look really sweet, it started peeling the black patina. This only happened when I used the oven cleaner. Thinking it somehow was still in the pores. Had cleaned with boiling water several times, so not sure what process was taking place. After a year of constant use and leaving in the oven any time I baked something - it now has a beautiful patina. But, has anyone else run into this problem?
      > Lorri Lyn

    • Bob Zukowski
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2013
        This is what I did wrong: After getting it down to bare gray iron I sprayed it with Easy Off oven cleaner and placed it in a bag over night. The Easy Off must have some water in the formula causing the iron to oxidize slightly. Yes, it had a brown tinge when I took it out of the bag. I think putting the Easy Off on the bare iron was a mistake. I think im going to leave it for now until I get a little more practice. Thanks, Bob.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 5, 2013
          You are close about the water Bob. Check out the following :

          http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easy-Off

          BTW Easy Off was invented in Canada. They are known for several more inventions as well. Does Al Gore live in Canada? Apparently they have a lot to do with the internet as well!

          http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_inventions

          Randy Hebert

          www.LeChienCookers.com