My First Cast Iron Restoration Project

  • Bob Zukowski
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2013
      Here are (3) pictures of my first attempt to recondition a Wagner Ware
      #10 Skillet. I stripped the old seasoning off with a sandblaster loaded
      with glass beads. Then I sprayed it with Easy Off to remove any traces
      of old seasoning. Then I placed it in a bag overnight. I noticed the pan
      had turned a brownish color overnight. I am not sure what chemical
      reaction took place but you can see the final results below. I decided
      to continue the restoration and reseasoned it with Soybean Oil at 425 F.
      It looks really nice but it definitely looks brownish. Thanks, Bob.

      /list
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dutchovencooking/photos/album/81596878/pi\
      c/list>

    • crosscountrydutchovens
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2013
        Great job! Brownish is normal the first bake. If taking it back to original gray iron, it usually takes several more coats of oil before the patina layers start turning black. Looks like your one the road to recovery. I have used the same process before and worked pretty good. One thing that was odd and I wasn't prepared for when I used the oven cleaner - When skillet was starting to look really sweet, it started peeling the black patina. This only happened when I used the oven cleaner. Thinking it somehow was still in the pores. Had cleaned with boiling water several times, so not sure what process was taking place. After a year of constant use and leaving in the oven any time I baked something - it now has a beautiful patina. But, has anyone else run into this problem?
        Lorri Lyn
      • Barb7513
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 4, 2013
          If it's brownish, then it's not being baked hot enough/long enough.

          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "crosscountrydutchovens" wrote:

          > Great job! Brownish is normal the first bake. If taking it back to original gray iron, it usually takes several more coats of oil before the patina layers start turning black. Looks like your one the road to recovery. I have used the same process before and worked pretty good. One thing that was odd and I wasn't prepared for when I used the oven cleaner - When skillet was starting to look really sweet, it started peeling the black patina. This only happened when I used the oven cleaner. Thinking it somehow was still in the pores. Had cleaned with boiling water several times, so not sure what process was taking place. After a year of constant use and leaving in the oven any time I baked something - it now has a beautiful patina. But, has anyone else run into this problem?
          > Lorri Lyn

        • Bob Zukowski
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 5, 2013
            This is what I did wrong: After getting it down to bare gray iron I sprayed it with Easy Off oven cleaner and placed it in a bag over night. The Easy Off must have some water in the formula causing the iron to oxidize slightly. Yes, it had a brown tinge when I took it out of the bag. I think putting the Easy Off on the bare iron was a mistake. I think im going to leave it for now until I get a little more practice. Thanks, Bob.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 5, 2013
              You are close about the water Bob. Check out the following :

              http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easy-Off

              BTW Easy Off was invented in Canada. They are known for several more inventions as well. Does Al Gore live in Canada? Apparently they have a lot to do with the internet as well!

              http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_inventions

              Randy Hebert

              www.LeChienCookers.com