Re: Cast Iron Tea Kettle &Wok

  • crosscountrydutchovens
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2013
      Bruce,
      My daughter & I use our wok, both indoors(we have a gas range) and outdoors. She found this recipe for Orange Chicken a couple nights ago. Excellent in the wok. We left out the hot spices, but still great recipe.
      http://www.food.com/recipe/panda-express-orange-chicken-103215

      We also make lots of stir fry in our wok. No recipe, since we make it up as we go along-seriously that's how we cook! Lately, we have tried to keep healthier veggies in the frig. Then use whatever we have, we usually heat a small amount of olive or vegetable oil in the wok(sometimes we even use water to cut calories) throw in some sliced or dice chicken(or meat of choice), cook til almost done, then add whatever veggies look good (bell pepper, mushrooms, squash, & always onions, etc.) can also use canned stir fry veggies-if in a hurry. If using water, just make sure to add/keep a little water in the bottom of the wok if needed so everything stays moist and doesn't burn. I sometimes mix in liquid smoke and use the stir fry for fajitas.
      I held off buying the wok a long time, but it is one of the most enjoyable pieces of cast iron I own(& for those that know me -I have more than I care to admit.) Even though I love & teach the DO's many weekends, in my free time-I have more fun with the wok and my Ultimate DO's than any other pieces in my "collection". Enjoy your wok! Let us know what you try.
      Lorri Lyn
      Cross Country Dutch Ovens - Broken Arrow,OK