Cast Iron Tea Kettle

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 31, 2012
      Personally, I would clean it up best I can with electrolysis and season THE
      HECK OUT OF IT! Then I would fill it about half with water and place it on
      my space heater in the bathroom. It adds moisture to the room. When you add
      water be sure to use a pot holder. I have made that mistake before too!

      They make great conversation pieces too!

      Randy Bear

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 1, 2013
        I also bought a cast iron tea kettle that looked the worse for wear. Kind folks on this site educated me. Apparently these were used to add humidity to the air in the dry winter months. You parked it on the wood burning stove. I like mine. Conversation piece.

        Mike
      • crosscountrydutchovens
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2013
          Bruce,
          My daughter & I use our wok, both indoors(we have a gas range) and outdoors. She found this recipe for Orange Chicken a couple nights ago. Excellent in the wok. We left out the hot spices, but still great recipe.
          http://www.food.com/recipe/panda-express-orange-chicken-103215

          We also make lots of stir fry in our wok. No recipe, since we make it up as we go along-seriously that's how we cook! Lately, we have tried to keep healthier veggies in the frig. Then use whatever we have, we usually heat a small amount of olive or vegetable oil in the wok(sometimes we even use water to cut calories) throw in some sliced or dice chicken(or meat of choice), cook til almost done, then add whatever veggies look good (bell pepper, mushrooms, squash, & always onions, etc.) can also use canned stir fry veggies-if in a hurry. If using water, just make sure to add/keep a little water in the bottom of the wok if needed so everything stays moist and doesn't burn. I sometimes mix in liquid smoke and use the stir fry for fajitas.
          I held off buying the wok a long time, but it is one of the most enjoyable pieces of cast iron I own(& for those that know me -I have more than I care to admit.) Even though I love & teach the DO's many weekends, in my free time-I have more fun with the wok and my Ultimate DO's than any other pieces in my "collection". Enjoy your wok! Let us know what you try.
          Lorri Lyn
          Cross Country Dutch Ovens - Broken Arrow,OK