Re: My First DOG

  • icookforcrowds
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 30, 2012
      My sister-in-law and I started cooking in our 10 inch deep, flat bottomed Dutch ovens about 10 or 11 years ago while we were camping. We made some kind of casserole with sausage, tomato paste, some seasonings, and cornbread on top (wish we could find that recipe again!) and made biscuits and gravy in the rain the next morning. We were so tired of camping and eating hot dogs, hamburgers and chicken on the grill. Now, we eat better when we go camping than when we're at home! So, I guess that was our first 2-pot DOG!
      Becky

      > What was the first DOG you had planned like in your area?
      >
      > In think it was in 2000 somewhere around there , I had just got Yahoo Groups groups started. I wanted to have a DOG in Mississippi.
      >
      > So I planned a date and time at Pelahatchie Campground. We had 5 cooking groups they came to the event. Only two of us were from Mississippi. The others were from Texas and Kentucky.
      >
      > This one was special because, I had one of THE TWO JERRY's and his son n law from Houston. And Tapscrew from Kentucky. They drove a long way to help me with a DOG.
      >
      > It was small, but we had a great time and friendships were bonded over the years.
      >
      > So, no matter how large or small your group is, it a special time cooking with friends.
      >
      > Biscuit

    • Greg Jacobs
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 31, 2012
        I started cooking in dutch ovens in 1988 at a historical event, all the reenactors cook in black pots, so I guess that the reenactment was my first D.O.G.!Greg Jacobs

        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 31, 2012
          Just a guestimate but I believe I have been cooking in Dutch Ovens for about 15 years.  My son was in scouting and I bought my first DO after going to a leadership training.
          We melted an aluminum 12 DO and ate a dump and cook rice and chicken dish from various cans of meat and soups.
          Bigger being better,  I bought my first DO.  An imported 16 Deep.  After several attempts at making cobblers with out a properly seasoned oven I almost gave up.  I later started cooking again with cake pans and smaller pots inside my 16 deep.  Somewhere around the time I was creating some successful dishes, I found this group and Camp Cooking with Da Cap'n group.   I started reading the posts and learning more about DO Cooking and purchased my first Lodge #12 DO.
          My first DOG was with the Oilpatch Cookers over in Orangefield, TX. They have pretty much fallen to the wayside now but it wasn't much longer the 2007 National DOG in Farmerville (Lake D'Arbonne) rolled around and I made plans to be there.
          I will always consider the NDOG of 07 to be my first DOG because that is where my online family came together with me in attendance for the very first time.
          Oh the memories; they still come to me like it was yesterday.
          Randy Bear
          Aka- Randy (The Stump) Hebert
          www.LeChienCookers.com

        • Dutch Oven Diva
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 31, 2012
            My first official DOG was at Midwest Dutch Oven Gathering in 2008. But it was long before that for attending DOGs. We'd been doing that at Girl Scout camp for many, many years if you could folks cooking in black pot, and having fun while doing just that!

            > What was the first DOG you had planned like in your area?
            >
            > In think it was in 2000 somewhere around there , I had just got Yahoo Groups groups started. I wanted to have a DOG in Mississippi.
            >
            > So I planned a date and time at Pelahatchie Campground. We had 5 cooking groups they came to the event. Only two of us were from Mississippi. The others were from Texas and Kentucky.
            >
            > This one was special because, I had one of THE TWO JERRY's and his son n law from Houston. And Tapscrew from Kentucky. They drove a long way to help me with a DOG.
            >
            > It was small, but we had a great time and friendships were bonded over the years.
            >
            > So, no matter how large or small your group is, it a special time cooking with friends.
            >
            > Biscuit

          • John Frerichs
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 1, 2013
              The troop that I worked with in Boy Scouts dabbled with Dutch ovens, but didn't get into it too much.  Then I got hooked at a Scout Leader training in about 1994 adn went out and bought my first one shortly after that.  So I blame my friend Ric who was teaching the class for starting all this for me.  We still try get together to cook with each other as often as we can.

              My First official DOG was in October of 2005.  I had just joined LSDOS and IDOS that summer and the closest Chapter to us was the Amber Waves Chapter in Kansas so I put down them as my Chapter preference for LSDOS.  A short time later I got an email from Ronda Barnow, kind of suprised we were on her list, but welcomed us to the Chapter.  That fall during my daughter's school break, we made the trip to Kansas to cook with this group of people that we had never met before.  Needless to say we had a great time and met people that have become very close to us and will be life long friends.  In 2006 we had our 1st DOG here in Minnesota and started a Chapter up here as well.  Over the years we have met so many wonderful people that we never would have met if it wasn't for our common love for cooking with the Black Pots.  Those friends we have met along the way are to many to name individually and there are many more that I would love to meet in the
              future.  So to all, thank you for your friendship, whether I have met you personally or not, the journey has been a great one!!

              John
              Little House Cookers
              Minnesota

              Just for your information and those wondering how we got the name "Little House Cookers".  Our 1st DOG was held in Walnut Grove, Minnesota  For those of you who remember the Little House on the Prairie books or TV show, that was the town that the Ingal's family lived and their farmsite and things are still there to see.