Corn Chowder Recap

  • Ken
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 9, 2012
      Several notes here. First I became side tracked yesterday as other events became more pressing. I cooked the chowder this afternoon.

      Notes:

      1. This will fit nicely into a 10 inch oven.

      2. If you do it the lazy way, as I did, and use canned potatoes, cut the water in half.

      3. Instead of using sausage, I used some pieces of ham from a spiral sliced ham.

      4. My first taste test proved it to be a little bland, so I added a couple (or more) shakes of dried red peppers. Now it tastes better.

      5. I added a can of whole kernel corn because I had too much liquid in it.

      6. Remember the more they cook, the hotter the dried red pepper flakes become.

      7. Serve with cornbread.

      Ken

      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "rlb_51" <rlb_51@...> wrote:

      > That one sounds really good - let me know how it turns out and what sausage you ended up using. Ronda
      >
      > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <savage99_250@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Ronda,
      > >
      > > I usually don't post anything I have not tried, but here is one I am going to cook tomorrow. First, I am not going to go buy canned bacon bits. I am going to take a link of good sausage and cut it into small pieces instead.
      > >
      > > Ken
      > >

      > > Corn Chowder
      > > • Author: CopyKat.com
      > > • Recipe Type: CopyKat Recipes, Soup recipes
      > > • Prep time: 10 minutes
      > > • Cook time: 10 minutes
      > > • Serves: 6
      > >
      > > This soup is a yummy meal starter or a full meal the whole family will love it!
      > > Ingredients
      > > • 2 tablespoon Butter
      > > • 1 Onion, diced
      > > • 1 cup diced Potatoes
      > > • 1 teaspoon Salt
      > > • Dash of Pepper
      > > • 2 cans Cream Style Corn
      > > • 2 cup Milk
      > > • 2 tablespoon Oscar Meyer canned Bacon Bits
      > >
      > > Instructions
      > >
      > > In a large pot add potatoes 2 cups water, salt and pepper. Melt butter in large skillet, chop onion finely and add to butter. Saute onions until they are soft and transparent. Cook until potatoes are tender. Add onions, corn, and milk to this, and bring to a full boil. Add bacon bits and more seasonings if you like.
      > >

      > > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "rlb_51" <rlb_51@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > With winter coming on, I'm thinking soups and stews! And I love one dish meals! Ronda

    • William Johnson
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 10, 2012
        These muffins can be baked in cast iron muffin tins or as balls on the lid of the Dutch oven.
        HAM’N’ CHEESE MUFFINS
        1/3 cup finely chopped onion
        1 Tbsp butter
        2 cups (8 ounces) shredded
        reduced-fat cheddar cheese
        1-1/2 cups reduced-fat
        biscuit/baking mix
        1/2 cup fat-free milk
        1 egg, beaten
        1 cup finely chopped fully cooked ham

        In a seasoned cast iron skillet, sauté onion in butter until tender; set aside. In a bowl, combine cheese and biscuit mix. Stir in milk and egg just until moistened. Fold in ham and onion mixture.
        Coat muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray or use paper liners; fill three-fourths full. Bake at 425° for 13-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.

        Bakin' Bill

        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 11, 2012
          This recipe looks really great! Thank you very much for posting!
          Lori