Re: I'm ready for a new recipe!!

  • Bob Zukowski
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 7, 2012
      Ronda, I found your Posole recipe at:
      http://relish.com/recipes/new-mexico-style-posole-recipe/
      <http://relish.com/recipes/new-mexico-style-posole-recipe/>

      Take a look at the green one too. Scroll down on the left side of the
      page.

      Bob

    • James P
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 7, 2012
        Clyde, what a great website! I really enjoyed the video and found several recipes that I can't wait to try!

        Jim

        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 7, 2012
          Thanks for sharing that link Bob. Don't know why I never thought about checking American Profile online. Duhh!! Senior moments I guess. Yes, the green one sounds tasty also, and doesn't make nearly as much. Ronda

          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Zukowski" <bob.zukowski@...> wrote:

          > Ronda, I found your Posole recipe at:
          > http://relish.com/recipes/new-mexico-style-posole-recipe/
          > <http://relish.com/recipes/new-mexico-style-posole-recipe/>
          >
          > Take a look at the green one too. Scroll down on the left side of the
          > page.
          >
          > Bob

        • Ken
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 7, 2012
            Ronda,

            I usually don't post anything I have not tried, but here is one I am going to cook tomorrow. First, I am not going to go buy canned bacon bits. I am going to take a link of good sausage and cut it into small pieces instead.

            Ken

            Corn Chowder
            • Author: CopyKat.com
            • Recipe Type: CopyKat Recipes, Soup recipes
            • Prep time: 10 minutes
            • Cook time: 10 minutes
            • Serves: 6

            This soup is a yummy meal starter or a full meal the whole family will love it!
            Ingredients
            • 2 tablespoon Butter
            • 1 Onion, diced
            • 1 cup diced Potatoes
            • 1 teaspoon Salt
            • Dash of Pepper
            • 2 cans Cream Style Corn
            • 2 cup Milk
            • 2 tablespoon Oscar Meyer canned Bacon Bits

            Instructions

            In a large pot add potatoes 2 cups water, salt and pepper. Melt butter in large skillet, chop onion finely and add to butter. Saute onions until they are soft and transparent. Cook until potatoes are tender. Add onions, corn, and milk to this, and bring to a full boil. Add bacon bits and more seasonings if you like.

            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 7, 2012
              This is a CopyKat recipe. I have cooked it, and it makes a lot of soup. It is good.

              I have two modifications which I will try the next time I cook it. First is to substitute butter for the vegetable oil. Second is to cut the Masa in half. Masa has a strong flavor used in the soup.

              If this looks like it is a lot of work, it is.

              Ken

              Chili's Chicken Enchilada Soup

              1/2 cup Vegetable oil
              1/4 cup Chicken base
              3 cups diced Yellow Onions
              2 tsp. ground Cumin
              2 tsp. Chili Powder
              2 tsp. granulated Garlic
              1/2 tsp. Cayenne pepper
              2 cups Masa Harina
              4 quarts Water (divided)
              2 cups crushed Tomatoes
              1/2 lb. processed American cheese, cut in small cube
              3 lb. cooked, cubed chicken

              In large pot, place oil, chicken base, onion and spices. Saut until onions are soft and clear, about 5 minutes In another container, combine Masa Harina with 1 quart water. Stir until all lumps dissolve. Add to sauted onions, bring to boil. Once mixture starts to bubble, continue cooking 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. This will eliminate any raw taste from Masa harina. Add remaining 3 quarts water to pot. Add tomatoes; let mixture return to boil stirring occasionally. Add cheese to soup. Cook stirring occasionally, until cheese melts. Add chicken; heat through. Makes 1 1/2 gallons or 16-20 servings.

              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 8, 2012
                That one sounds really good - let me know how it turns out and what sausage you ended up using. Ronda

                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 9, 2012
                  Several notes here. First I became side tracked yesterday as other events became more pressing. I cooked the chowder this afternoon.

                  Notes:

                  1. This will fit nicely into a 10 inch oven.

                  2. If you do it the lazy way, as I did, and use canned potatoes, cut the water in half.

                  3. Instead of using sausage, I used some pieces of ham from a spiral sliced ham.

                  4. My first taste test proved it to be a little bland, so I added a couple (or more) shakes of dried red peppers. Now it tastes better.

                  5. I added a can of whole kernel corn because I had too much liquid in it.

                  6. Remember the more they cook, the hotter the dried red pepper flakes become.

                  7. Serve with cornbread.

                  Ken

                  --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "rlb_51" <rlb_51@...> wrote:

                  > That one sounds really good - let me know how it turns out and what sausage you ended up using. Ronda
                  >
                  > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <savage99_250@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Ronda,
                  > >
                  > > I usually don't post anything I have not tried, but here is one I am going to cook tomorrow. First, I am not going to go buy canned bacon bits. I am going to take a link of good sausage and cut it into small pieces instead.
                  > >
                  > > Ken
                  > >

                  > > Corn Chowder
                  > > • Author: CopyKat.com
                  > > • Recipe Type: CopyKat Recipes, Soup recipes
                  > > • Prep time: 10 minutes
                  > > • Cook time: 10 minutes
                  > > • Serves: 6
                  > >
                  > > This soup is a yummy meal starter or a full meal the whole family will love it!
                  > > Ingredients
                  > > • 2 tablespoon Butter
                  > > • 1 Onion, diced
                  > > • 1 cup diced Potatoes
                  > > • 1 teaspoon Salt
                  > > • Dash of Pepper
                  > > • 2 cans Cream Style Corn
                  > > • 2 cup Milk
                  > > • 2 tablespoon Oscar Meyer canned Bacon Bits
                  > >
                  > > Instructions
                  > >
                  > > In a large pot add potatoes 2 cups water, salt and pepper. Melt butter in large skillet, chop onion finely and add to butter. Saute onions until they are soft and transparent. Cook until potatoes are tender. Add onions, corn, and milk to this, and bring to a full boil. Add bacon bits and more seasonings if you like.
                  > >

                  > > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "rlb_51" <rlb_51@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > With winter coming on, I'm thinking soups and stews! And I love one dish meals! Ronda

                • William Johnson
                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 10, 2012
                    These muffins can be baked in cast iron muffin tins or as balls on the lid of the Dutch oven.
                    HAM’N’ CHEESE MUFFINS
                    1/3 cup finely chopped onion
                    1 Tbsp butter
                    2 cups (8 ounces) shredded
                    reduced-fat cheddar cheese
                    1-1/2 cups reduced-fat
                    biscuit/baking mix
                    1/2 cup fat-free milk
                    1 egg, beaten
                    1 cup finely chopped fully cooked ham

                    In a seasoned cast iron skillet, sauté onion in butter until tender; set aside. In a bowl, combine cheese and biscuit mix. Stir in milk and egg just until moistened. Fold in ham and onion mixture.
                    Coat muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray or use paper liners; fill three-fourths full. Bake at 425° for 13-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.

                    Bakin' Bill

                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 11, 2012
                      This recipe looks really great! Thank you very much for posting!
                      Lori