Re: Harbor Freight pot

    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 7, 2012
      We have a 12" deep "no name" oven that we got at Atwoods years ago. I think we have $15 for it, unseasoned. It has a good seasoning on it now and we use it a lot. It's cast evenly, no wobble on the lid or uneven legs. You have to look them over, but they aren't bad! Ronda

      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "James P" <lighthousecreations@...> wrote:

      > I see that Harbor Freight sells a 12" DO for $29 with lots of 20% coupons to be had. Pretty good deal. The reviews were quite positive, with the biggest "CON" being they were too heavy. Little do they know it's not a CON but a PRO.
      >
      > Maybe this has been discussed here before?

    • Ken
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 7, 2012
        When they were $12.00 I bought one with the idea that if I did not like it as a DO I would use it as a fish frying oven. I have been happy with mine for almost ten years.

        HOWEVER: as you have been advised, do not order one of these by mail. Go to the store and inspect the oven. The quality of packing material and boxes harbor Freight uses do not always survive shipping.

        A better alternative for the same price would be to go to Academy and buy their 12 inch deep dutch oven off the shelf. You will have several to inspect and choose between, so you can get the best lid to oven fit. Plus, it will be pre-seasoned. I have one which I bought from Academy and it has served me well over the years.

        Still a third and better option would be ordering a Lodge deep 12 inch dutch oven from Amazon.

        Overall, Harbor Freight does have some good buys on some items, but cast iron is not one of them.

        Ken

        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "James P" <lighthousecreations@...> wrote:

        > I see that Harbor Freight sells a 12" DO for $29 with lots of 20% coupons to be had. Pretty good deal. The reviews were quite positive, with the biggest "CON" being they were too heavy. Little do they know it's not a CON but a PRO.
        >
        > Maybe this has been discussed here before?

      • Bob Zukowski
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 8, 2012
          I agree. They are $30.00 at Harbort freight so if you have a 20% coupon its going to be $24.00 plus sales tax. I would keep on checking Amazon and others for a Lodge. If I can get one for $12.00 I would do it.
        • Bob Zukowski
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 8, 2012
            Tractor Supply Co. has a 12" DO $17.99. Looks like a knock off of the
            Lodge. It is seasoned and looks to have a spiral wire handle. I may have
            to go look at this one for the heck of it. See link:
            http://www.tractorsupply.com/cast-iron-dutch-oven-6-qt--3770303

            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 8, 2012
              Those fit into my 'fish fryer cast iron' category. If you wait until next week, TSC has put them and the skillets on sale on the ad which starts next Wednesday.

              Ken

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 8, 2012
                I checked out the one at TSC. I decided to hold off. They look a little rough so im saving up for a Lodge 14" Deep instead.
              • Greg Jacobs
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 8, 2012
                  It's not a HF pot, but today I lucked into a #14 skillet! It's an old one with a diamond mark on the bottom. It's a bit groady, no rust though and I'll have to wait until Spring to clean and oil it. I can't wait to cook in it!!
                  Greg Jacobs

                • tsims22@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 9, 2012
                    Good choice!

                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 9, 2012
                      My 14 deep is a rescue piece, that is, the person I bought it from was going to drill it and make a planter out of it!!!! It's safe now and performing very well! It took some time to clean and season, but it was worth it!!
                      Everyday, thousands of pieces of innocent cast iron are misused and discarded!
                      Search high and low and rescue a piece of cast iron today!!