chili recipe

  • rongroenendyk
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 7, 2012
      My wife said that I could make chili for a benefit this coming weekend, I'm looking for the recipe that was made in Canton at the NDOG
      Thanks
    • Dwayne Lejeune
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 7, 2012
        try Cap's recipe....  It's the Bomb.  he has it in files

        Dwayne ~n~ Stephanie
        2011 Chevy 3500 HD 6.6 Duramax
        2012 Voltage V-3950
        http://www.LeChienCookers.com/
        " Waiting On Someday"

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 7, 2012
          That would be Bear Hood's Recipe. I don't have it handy, but here is Da Cap'n's recipe reprinted from message 65043.

          East Texas Camp Chili

          Howdy folks

          This is a Texas Red style chili, it has no tomatoes or beans in it, it cooks up
          very good in a Camp Dutch oven. I cooked up a batch last week over campfire
          coals, hanging off a swing hook, came out mighty tasty.

          Ground meat-beef, or beef and venison--I grind my own and use the
          big hole grinder plate-the beef is usually chuck roast, or brisket.

          High grade chili powder-no salt,sugar,wheat flour or corn flour in
          it-chili powder that has that stuff in it is cheating you cause that
          stuff is cheap to buy.

          white flour
          dried onion flakes
          dried garlic flakes
          dried crushed red chili flakes-pizza chili flakes
          salt
          water--well water if you got it.

          this recipe is for 1 pound of meat-you keep repeating this for as
          big a batch as you need.

          brown 1 pound of lean ground beef meat

          when brown-add

          2 tbl chili powder
          2 rounded tsp onion flakes
          1/4 tsp garlic flakes
          1 pinch red chili flakes
          3 tbl white flour
          1 tsp salt

          mix this all up good and throw into chili pot-then add 2 cups water-
          give it a good stir and simmer about 2.5 to 3 hours-keep browning
          batches of meat and spices till you got enough to feed the folks.

          this will start out kind of thin-leave lid off pot last hour of
          cooking time.

          this chili has no tomatoes,no beans in it.

          Copyright 1998 by Phil Mahan
          Cooking with Da Cap'n

          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "rongroenendyk" <rjgr2973@...> wrote:

          > My wife said that I could make chili for a benefit this coming weekend, I'm looking for the recipe that was made in Canton at the NDOG
          > Thanks

        • Ken
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 7, 2012
            This is the basic chili recipe that I have used in chili dinners for years. It is 'flavorful' and will not destroy your taste buds and burn your throat out. We would cook beans separately and mix with the chili before serving. Remember, this is chili dinner chili, and can be served with beans.

            Ken's Chili By The Pound

            For each pound of meat:

            2 TBS Flour
            2 TBS Chili Powder
            1/4 tsp Salt
            1/4 tsp Camino
            1/8 tsp Red pepper
            1/8 tsp Black pepper
            1/8 tsp garlic powder
            2 TBS dried Onion or 1 chopped medium fresh onion
            1 tsp Worchestershire sauce
            1 tsp Soy Sauce
            1 - 2 beef bullion cubes

            Brown meat in pan and drain off grease
            Mix the spices, onion, and garlic together and add to meat.
            Stir and mix well
            Worchestershire sauce and soy sauce.
            Cover with water. Add water as needed.
            Simmer several hours.

            Ken

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 8, 2012
              Is there a certain recipe you use for the beans you add to this? Ronda

              --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <savage99_250@...> wrote:

              > This is the basic chili recipe that I have used in chili dinners for years. It is 'flavorful' and will not destroy your taste buds and burn your throat out. We would cook beans separately and mix with the chili before serving. Remember, this is chili dinner chili, and can be served with beans.
              >
              > Ken's Chili By The Pound
              >
              > For each pound of meat:
              >
              > 2 TBS Flour
              > 2 TBS Chili Powder
              > 1/4 tsp Salt
              > 1/4 tsp Camino
              > 1/8 tsp Red pepper
              > 1/8 tsp Black pepper
              > 1/8 tsp garlic powder
              > 2 TBS dried Onion or 1 chopped medium fresh onion
              > 1 tsp Worchestershire sauce
              > 1 tsp Soy Sauce
              > 1 - 2 beef bullion cubes
              >
              > Brown meat in pan and drain off grease
              > Mix the spices, onion, and garlic together and add to meat.
              > Stir and mix well
              > Worchestershire sauce and soy sauce.
              > Cover with water. Add water as needed.
              > Simmer several hours.
              >
              > Ken
              >

              > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "rongroenendyk" <rjgr2973@> wrote:
              > >
              > > My wife said that I could make chili for a benefit this coming weekend, I'm looking for the recipe that was made in Canton at the NDOG
              > > Thanks

            • Ken
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 8, 2012
                No. We would cook the beans with very little, if any, seasoning so they would not alter the taste of the chili when mixed with it.

                On average we would cook 8 to 10 roasters of chili and 4 roasters of beans. We would mix beans with the chili just before serving. Since these were 'all you can eat' benefit dinners, the beans made the chili go further.

                Ken