Re: I'm ready for a new recipe!!

  • James P
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 7, 2012
      I am going to try this over the weekend. I'm a bit puzzled by the instruction "preheat your dutch oven lid." I'm not a baker. Maybe if I was it would make sense to me.

      Mock Sourdough Bread
      10" dutch oven

      2 cups plain yogurt
      1 Tbs. yeast
      1/4 cup warm water
      1 Tbs. honey
      2 tsp. salt
      1 Tbs. oil
      4-5 cups flour

      Heat yogurt just to lukewarm. Dissolve the yeast in warm water. Stir in yogurt, honey, salt, oil and 2 cups of flour. Beat until smooth. Gradually add the remaining flour just to make a soft dough. Knead until smooth and elastic.

      Place the dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours. Punch dough down. Form dough into a round loaf and place inside a greased dutch oven. Cover and let rise about 45 minutes.

      Preheat your dutch oven lid, then bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until the bread is browned and sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from pot and cool on a wire rack.

      The link with picture is here: http://dutchovenmadness.blogspot.com/2011/12/mock-sourdough-bread.html

      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "rlb_51" <rlb_51@...> wrote:

      > Somebody post something!! Ronda

    • Mike
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 7, 2012
        Ronda,
        At a recent DOG someone made a quick bread. It was really good. I didn't ask for his recipe but found some online. Here is one I made yesterday and all who had it said it was great.

        It calls for self-rising flour but I made my own self-rising flour:
        1 cup flour
        1/2 teaspoon salt
        1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

        Beer Bread
        12 ounces beer
        3 cups self-rising flour (triple the above recipe, obviously)
        3 Tablespoons sugar

        In a large bowl, mix together the sugar and flour. Add beer and continue to mix, first using a wooden spoon, then your hands. Batter will be sticky. Put in greased dutch oven or greased bread pans if cooking indoors. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes. . The top will be crunchy, and the insides will be soft.

        Very chewy and delicious. Give it a try.
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 7, 2012
          Clearly.speculation on my part but it sounds to me by preheating the lid you are giving the top of bread a jump start to fineness for Browning.  One problem some bread bakers experience in DO's is Browning top without over cooking.

          Randy Hebert

          www.LeChienCookers.com

        • James P
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 7, 2012
            Thanks Randy. Makes sense. I'll give a report after I see the results.

            --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Randy Hebert <RandyHebert@...> wrote:

            > Clearly.speculation on my part but it sounds to me by preheating the lid you are giving the top of bread a jump start to fineness for Browning.  One problem some bread bakers experience in DO's is Browning top without over cooking.
            >
            > Randy Hebert
            >
            > www.LeChienCookers.com

          • Bob Zukowski
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 7, 2012
              Ronda,

              I want to try your New Mexico Posole recipe. How much Cumin do you add? Anything else I should do to your original recipe? Did you get another good recipe from Kristie Jones? I saw her name when I searched your Posole recipe.

              PS. People in Michigan have no idea what Posole is!

              Thanks,

              Bob
            • icookforcrowds
              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 7, 2012
                Main dish, side, dessert, bread? All of the above?
                Becky

                --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "rlb_51" <rlb_51@...> wrote:

                > Somebody post something!! Ronda

              • Clyde Dildine
                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 7, 2012
                  Check out the ones submitted by raft guides to my non-commercial website - http://www.stupidguidetricks.com/recipes.html

                  Clyde the Guide

                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 7, 2012
                    I did this one for the high school band (around 120 folks) and it was a big hit. This is the normal size portion recipe that fits a 12 regular.
                    Smoked Sausage & Cheesy Potato Casserole
                    1 package smoked sausage, sliced in 1/2 inch pieces (I like turkey smoked sausage)
                    1 bag southern style hash brown potatoes
                    2 cup(s) (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese (seems like I always end up using a lot more than this)
                    1 cup(s) sour cream
                    1 bunch green onoins, chopped
                    1 can cream of mushroom soup
                    1/2 stick butter

                    Saute green onions in butter, combine with potatoes. Add remaining ingredients and then top with more cheese when almost done baking. 350 for about an hour.
                    Becky

                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 7, 2012
                      Bob I had to search to find out who Kristie Jones was!! She never did respond to my request for her recipe, and in fact, never posted again following her mention of posole!!
                      I'd have to guess on the amount of cumin, as I don't add it all at once, and don't measure. Doug & I both like spicy foods, so I'm going to say close to a tablespoon total. Black pepper is another thing that I increase, again, to suit our taste!
                      I found that recipe in a little magazine that used to come once a week with our local newspaper. We sure have fixed it a lot! Hope you like it. The heat can be regulated by how many green chilis you use, and by using mild or hot sauce, the amount of cumin, etc. Ronda

                      Message 10 of 24 , Dec 7, 2012
                        With winter coming on, I'm thinking soups and stews! And I love one dish meals! Ronda

                        Message 11 of 24 , Dec 7, 2012
                          I book marked that site - thanks Clyde. Ronda

                          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Clyde Dildine" <clyde318000@...> wrote:

                          > Check out the ones submitted by raft guides to my non-commercial website - http://www.stupidguidetricks.com/recipes.html
                          >
                          > Clyde the Guide
                          >
                          > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "rlb_51" <rlb_51@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Somebody post something!! Ronda

                        • Dennis Gabler
                          Message 12 of 24 , Dec 7, 2012
                            This one isn't too bad...

                            Regards,
                            Dennis

                            Beef Pasta and Mushroom Soup

                            1 pound lean ground beef
                            1 medium chopped onion (1/2 cup)
                            6 cups hot water
                            1 package Hamburger Helper beef pasta
                            1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves, crushed
                            1/2 teaspoon salt
                            1/8 teaspoon pepper
                            2 medium cloves garlic, crushed
                            1 can (4 ounces) mushroom pieces and stems, drained
                            2 tablespoons dry red wine, if desired
                            2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

                            Cook beef and onion in Dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring
                            occasionally, until beef is brown; drain. Stir in hot water, Sauce Mix,
                            basil, salt, pepper and garlic. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
                            Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in
                            uncooked Pasta, mushrooms and wine. Cover and cook 10 minutes longer.
                            Stir in parsley.

                            --
                            Dennis Gabler
                            Adel, IA.
                            Message 13 of 24 , Dec 7, 2012
                              Ronda, I found your Posole recipe at:
                              http://relish.com/recipes/new-mexico-style-posole-recipe/
                              <http://relish.com/recipes/new-mexico-style-posole-recipe/>

                              Take a look at the green one too. Scroll down on the left side of the
                              page.

                              Bob

                            • James P
                              Message 14 of 24 , Dec 7, 2012
                                Clyde, what a great website! I really enjoyed the video and found several recipes that I can't wait to try!

                                Jim

                                Message 15 of 24 , Dec 7, 2012
                                  Thanks for sharing that link Bob. Don't know why I never thought about checking American Profile online. Duhh!! Senior moments I guess. Yes, the green one sounds tasty also, and doesn't make nearly as much. Ronda

                                  --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Zukowski" <bob.zukowski@...> wrote:

                                  > Ronda, I found your Posole recipe at:
                                  > http://relish.com/recipes/new-mexico-style-posole-recipe/
                                  > <http://relish.com/recipes/new-mexico-style-posole-recipe/>
                                  >
                                  > Take a look at the green one too. Scroll down on the left side of the
                                  > page.
                                  >
                                  > Bob

                                • Ken
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Dec 7, 2012
                                    Ronda,

                                    I usually don't post anything I have not tried, but here is one I am going to cook tomorrow. First, I am not going to go buy canned bacon bits. I am going to take a link of good sausage and cut it into small pieces instead.

                                    Ken

                                    Corn Chowder
                                    • Author: CopyKat.com
                                    • Recipe Type: CopyKat Recipes, Soup recipes
                                    • Prep time: 10 minutes
                                    • Cook time: 10 minutes
                                    • Serves: 6

                                    This soup is a yummy meal starter or a full meal the whole family will love it!
                                    Ingredients
                                    • 2 tablespoon Butter
                                    • 1 Onion, diced
                                    • 1 cup diced Potatoes
                                    • 1 teaspoon Salt
                                    • Dash of Pepper
                                    • 2 cans Cream Style Corn
                                    • 2 cup Milk
                                    • 2 tablespoon Oscar Meyer canned Bacon Bits

                                    Instructions

                                    In a large pot add potatoes 2 cups water, salt and pepper. Melt butter in large skillet, chop onion finely and add to butter. Saute onions until they are soft and transparent. Cook until potatoes are tender. Add onions, corn, and milk to this, and bring to a full boil. Add bacon bits and more seasonings if you like.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Dec 7, 2012
                                      This is a CopyKat recipe. I have cooked it, and it makes a lot of soup. It is good.

                                      I have two modifications which I will try the next time I cook it. First is to substitute butter for the vegetable oil. Second is to cut the Masa in half. Masa has a strong flavor used in the soup.

                                      If this looks like it is a lot of work, it is.

                                      Ken

                                      Chili's Chicken Enchilada Soup

                                      1/2 cup Vegetable oil
                                      1/4 cup Chicken base
                                      3 cups diced Yellow Onions
                                      2 tsp. ground Cumin
                                      2 tsp. Chili Powder
                                      2 tsp. granulated Garlic
                                      1/2 tsp. Cayenne pepper
                                      2 cups Masa Harina
                                      4 quarts Water (divided)
                                      2 cups crushed Tomatoes
                                      1/2 lb. processed American cheese, cut in small cube
                                      3 lb. cooked, cubed chicken

                                      In large pot, place oil, chicken base, onion and spices. Saut until onions are soft and clear, about 5 minutes In another container, combine Masa Harina with 1 quart water. Stir until all lumps dissolve. Add to sauted onions, bring to boil. Once mixture starts to bubble, continue cooking 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly. This will eliminate any raw taste from Masa harina. Add remaining 3 quarts water to pot. Add tomatoes; let mixture return to boil stirring occasionally. Add cheese to soup. Cook stirring occasionally, until cheese melts. Add chicken; heat through. Makes 1 1/2 gallons or 16-20 servings.

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Dec 8, 2012
                                        That one sounds really good - let me know how it turns out and what sausage you ended up using. Ronda

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Dec 9, 2012
                                          Several notes here. First I became side tracked yesterday as other events became more pressing. I cooked the chowder this afternoon.

                                          Notes:

                                          1. This will fit nicely into a 10 inch oven.

                                          2. If you do it the lazy way, as I did, and use canned potatoes, cut the water in half.

                                          3. Instead of using sausage, I used some pieces of ham from a spiral sliced ham.

                                          4. My first taste test proved it to be a little bland, so I added a couple (or more) shakes of dried red peppers. Now it tastes better.

                                          5. I added a can of whole kernel corn because I had too much liquid in it.

                                          6. Remember the more they cook, the hotter the dried red pepper flakes become.

                                          7. Serve with cornbread.

                                          Ken

                                          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "rlb_51" <rlb_51@...> wrote:

                                          > That one sounds really good - let me know how it turns out and what sausage you ended up using. Ronda
                                          >
                                          > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <savage99_250@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Ronda,
                                          > >
                                          > > I usually don't post anything I have not tried, but here is one I am going to cook tomorrow. First, I am not going to go buy canned bacon bits. I am going to take a link of good sausage and cut it into small pieces instead.
                                          > >
                                          > > Ken
                                          > >

                                          > > Corn Chowder
                                          > > • Author: CopyKat.com
                                          > > • Recipe Type: CopyKat Recipes, Soup recipes
                                          > > • Prep time: 10 minutes
                                          > > • Cook time: 10 minutes
                                          > > • Serves: 6
                                          > >
                                          > > This soup is a yummy meal starter or a full meal the whole family will love it!
                                          > > Ingredients
                                          > > • 2 tablespoon Butter
                                          > > • 1 Onion, diced
                                          > > • 1 cup diced Potatoes
                                          > > • 1 teaspoon Salt
                                          > > • Dash of Pepper
                                          > > • 2 cans Cream Style Corn
                                          > > • 2 cup Milk
                                          > > • 2 tablespoon Oscar Meyer canned Bacon Bits
                                          > >
                                          > > Instructions
                                          > >
                                          > > In a large pot add potatoes 2 cups water, salt and pepper. Melt butter in large skillet, chop onion finely and add to butter. Saute onions until they are soft and transparent. Cook until potatoes are tender. Add onions, corn, and milk to this, and bring to a full boil. Add bacon bits and more seasonings if you like.
                                          > >

                                          > > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "rlb_51" <rlb_51@> wrote:
                                          > > >
                                          > > > With winter coming on, I'm thinking soups and stews! And I love one dish meals! Ronda

                                        • William Johnson
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Dec 10, 2012
                                            These muffins can be baked in cast iron muffin tins or as balls on the lid of the Dutch oven.
                                            HAM’N’ CHEESE MUFFINS
                                            1/3 cup finely chopped onion
                                            1 Tbsp butter
                                            2 cups (8 ounces) shredded
                                            reduced-fat cheddar cheese
                                            1-1/2 cups reduced-fat
                                            biscuit/baking mix
                                            1/2 cup fat-free milk
                                            1 egg, beaten
                                            1 cup finely chopped fully cooked ham

                                            In a seasoned cast iron skillet, sauté onion in butter until tender; set aside. In a bowl, combine cheese and biscuit mix. Stir in milk and egg just until moistened. Fold in ham and onion mixture.
                                            Coat muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray or use paper liners; fill three-fourths full. Bake at 425° for 13-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.

                                            Bakin' Bill

                                            Message 21 of 24 , Dec 11, 2012
                                              This recipe looks really great! Thank you very much for posting!
                                              Lori