Re: Speaking of Chicken Pot Pie

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 4, 2012
      We like beef pot pie best - hope you enjoy that! Whenever I fix a roast and veggies, the leftovers make a pot pie. Sort of. I just chop the left over beef and veggies up, add the gravy, plus more broth if necessary. Instead of a pastry though, I just grab the whomp biscuits, add to the top of the above mix and bake until the biscuits are done! Way yummy! Ronda

      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "James P" <lighthousecreations@...> wrote:

      > Then I owe you a big thank you for posting it. I have thoroughly enjoyed this. I'm going to use beef next time. Thanks Ken.
      >
      > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <savage99_250@> wrote:
      > >
      > > It sounds like one I posted several years ago. You are welcome to use it and change it in any way that works better.
      > >
      > > Paula Dean is a great source for adaptable recipes.
      > >
      > > Ken
      > >

      > > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "James P" <lighthousecreations@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I thought that I had gotten this recipe from this group, and I may well have, but I couldn't find it. If I did, thanks to whomever posted it. I've made it three times and it's always been superb, and I've only been at this since October. Yes, I'm hooked! I went thought 40# of charcoal my first month. Too much fun!
      > > >
      > > > Chicken Pot Pie
      > > > Adapted to the dutch oven from a Paula Dean recipe.
      > > > 12 inch oven
      > > > 10 coals on bottom
      > > > 16 coals on top
      > > > Cooking time, one hour
      > > > 4 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
      > > > 2 12 ounce packages frozen mixed vegetables
      > > > 2 10 ounce cans cream of chicken soup
      > > > 2 cups chicken broth
      > > > 2 sticks melted butter
      > > > 3 cups Pioneer or Bisquick biscuit mix
      > > > 2 cups milk
      > > > Optional:
      > > > Two cans chopped green chili's
      > > > One medium onion, chopped
      > > > In a small pot, melt the two sticks of butter. Oil a 12 inch dutch oven. Layer the
      > > > chicken in the bottom of the oven. Next layer the onion and chili's if you want to
      > > > include them. Then layer the mix vegetables on top of the chicken. Salt and pepper
      > > > this to taste.
      > > > In a mixing bowl, mix the two cans of soup and the chicken broth. Pour this mixture
      > > > over the vegetables, covering the vegetables.
      > > > In another mixing bowl, mix the biscuit mix and milk. Pour it over the ingredients
      > > > in the oven, making sure to cover all the ingredients. Spread this until it is level in
      > > > the oven. Then slowly pour the melted butter over the biscuit mix. Cook for one
      > > > hour.
      > > >
      > > > Note: I found a great substitute for "Cream of..." soup, that I like because it has little sodium, unlike the real ones you buy. I'll post that too.
      > > >
      > > > I also cut the butter in half with no suffering.

    • Lori
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 5, 2012
        Great idea Rhonda. :-)
        Lori

        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "rlb_51" <rlb_51@...> wrote:

        > We like beef pot pie best - hope you enjoy that! Whenever I fix a roast and veggies, the leftovers make a pot pie. Sort of. I just chop the left over beef and veggies up, add the gravy, plus more broth if necessary. Instead of a pastry though, I just grab the whomp biscuits, add to the top of the above mix and bake until the biscuits are done! Way yummy! Ronda
        >
        > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "James P" <lighthousecreations@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Then I owe you a big thank you for posting it. I have thoroughly enjoyed this. I'm going to use beef next time. Thanks Ken.
        > >
        > > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <savage99_250@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > It sounds like one I posted several years ago. You are welcome to use it and change it in any way that works better.
        > > >
        > > > Paula Dean is a great source for adaptable recipes.
        > > >
        > > > Ken

      • Rob
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 5, 2012
          I did this tonight in an 8" pot, I cut everything in half, it was great!

          Rob
          vwrobb@...