Re: Speaking of Chicken Pot Pie

  • Ken
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3 8:21 PM
      It sounds like one I posted several years ago. You are welcome to use it and change it in any way that works better.

      Paula Dean is a great source for adaptable recipes.

      Ken

      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "James P" <lighthousecreations@...> wrote:

      > I thought that I had gotten this recipe from this group, and I may well have, but I couldn't find it. If I did, thanks to whomever posted it. I've made it three times and it's always been superb, and I've only been at this since October. Yes, I'm hooked! I went thought 40# of charcoal my first month. Too much fun!
      >
      > Chicken Pot Pie
      > Adapted to the dutch oven from a Paula Dean recipe.
      > 12 inch oven
      > 10 coals on bottom
      > 16 coals on top
      > Cooking time, one hour
      > 4 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
      > 2 12 ounce packages frozen mixed vegetables
      > 2 10 ounce cans cream of chicken soup
      > 2 cups chicken broth
      > 2 sticks melted butter
      > 3 cups Pioneer or Bisquick biscuit mix
      > 2 cups milk
      > Optional:
      > Two cans chopped green chili's
      > One medium onion, chopped
      > In a small pot, melt the two sticks of butter. Oil a 12 inch dutch oven. Layer the
      > chicken in the bottom of the oven. Next layer the onion and chili's if you want to
      > include them. Then layer the mix vegetables on top of the chicken. Salt and pepper
      > this to taste.
      > In a mixing bowl, mix the two cans of soup and the chicken broth. Pour this mixture
      > over the vegetables, covering the vegetables.
      > In another mixing bowl, mix the biscuit mix and milk. Pour it over the ingredients
      > in the oven, making sure to cover all the ingredients. Spread this until it is level in
      > the oven. Then slowly pour the melted butter over the biscuit mix. Cook for one
      > hour.
      >
      > Note: I found a great substitute for "Cream of..." soup, that I like because it has little sodium, unlike the real ones you buy. I'll post that too.
      >
      > I also cut the butter in half with no suffering.

    • James P
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 4 11:51 AM
        Then I owe you a big thank you for posting it. I have thoroughly enjoyed this. I'm going to use beef next time. Thanks Ken.

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 4 8:02 PM
          We like beef pot pie best - hope you enjoy that! Whenever I fix a roast and veggies, the leftovers make a pot pie. Sort of. I just chop the left over beef and veggies up, add the gravy, plus more broth if necessary. Instead of a pastry though, I just grab the whomp biscuits, add to the top of the above mix and bake until the biscuits are done! Way yummy! Ronda

          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "James P" <lighthousecreations@...> wrote:

          > Then I owe you a big thank you for posting it. I have thoroughly enjoyed this. I'm going to use beef next time. Thanks Ken.
          >
          > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <savage99_250@> wrote:
          > >
          > > It sounds like one I posted several years ago. You are welcome to use it and change it in any way that works better.
          > >
          > > Paula Dean is a great source for adaptable recipes.
          > >
          > > Ken
          > >

          > > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "James P" <lighthousecreations@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I thought that I had gotten this recipe from this group, and I may well have, but I couldn't find it. If I did, thanks to whomever posted it. I've made it three times and it's always been superb, and I've only been at this since October. Yes, I'm hooked! I went thought 40# of charcoal my first month. Too much fun!
          > > >
          > > > Chicken Pot Pie
          > > > Adapted to the dutch oven from a Paula Dean recipe.
          > > > 12 inch oven
          > > > 10 coals on bottom
          > > > 16 coals on top
          > > > Cooking time, one hour
          > > > 4 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
          > > > 2 12 ounce packages frozen mixed vegetables
          > > > 2 10 ounce cans cream of chicken soup
          > > > 2 cups chicken broth
          > > > 2 sticks melted butter
          > > > 3 cups Pioneer or Bisquick biscuit mix
          > > > 2 cups milk
          > > > Optional:
          > > > Two cans chopped green chili's
          > > > One medium onion, chopped
          > > > In a small pot, melt the two sticks of butter. Oil a 12 inch dutch oven. Layer the
          > > > chicken in the bottom of the oven. Next layer the onion and chili's if you want to
          > > > include them. Then layer the mix vegetables on top of the chicken. Salt and pepper
          > > > this to taste.
          > > > In a mixing bowl, mix the two cans of soup and the chicken broth. Pour this mixture
          > > > over the vegetables, covering the vegetables.
          > > > In another mixing bowl, mix the biscuit mix and milk. Pour it over the ingredients
          > > > in the oven, making sure to cover all the ingredients. Spread this until it is level in
          > > > the oven. Then slowly pour the melted butter over the biscuit mix. Cook for one
          > > > hour.
          > > >
          > > > Note: I found a great substitute for "Cream of..." soup, that I like because it has little sodium, unlike the real ones you buy. I'll post that too.
          > > >
          > > > I also cut the butter in half with no suffering.

        • Lori
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 5 5:46 AM
            Great idea Rhonda. :-)
            Lori

            --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "rlb_51" <rlb_51@...> wrote:

            > We like beef pot pie best - hope you enjoy that! Whenever I fix a roast and veggies, the leftovers make a pot pie. Sort of. I just chop the left over beef and veggies up, add the gravy, plus more broth if necessary. Instead of a pastry though, I just grab the whomp biscuits, add to the top of the above mix and bake until the biscuits are done! Way yummy! Ronda
            >
            > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "James P" <lighthousecreations@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Then I owe you a big thank you for posting it. I have thoroughly enjoyed this. I'm going to use beef next time. Thanks Ken.
            > >
            > > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <savage99_250@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > It sounds like one I posted several years ago. You are welcome to use it and change it in any way that works better.
            > > >
            > > > Paula Dean is a great source for adaptable recipes.
            > > >
            > > > Ken

          • Rob
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 5 7:47 PM
              I did this tonight in an 8" pot, I cut everything in half, it was great!

              Rob
              vwrobb@...