Re: Cold Coals and The L:egend of Biscuit Sims

    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 1, 2012
      Thank You Mr. Mike!
      I never in my wildest dreams think I would even become a Legend.
      That recipe is my own creation and developed it many a year ago.
      Sit n in my chair and have me a drink of Doctor Pepper.

      Thanks for the story.

      Biscuit

      I would scrap the counting method of coals and go to the ring method.
      The ring works best for me now.

      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Frank Biffath <biffath@...> wrote:

      > Wow... Replaced coals 5 times in an hour?? Geesh thats ALOT of work
      >
      > Frank E Biffath III
      > Mail Sort ltd
      > 614.557.2598
      > We FLAT out mail
      >
      > Is it still a smart phone if it's operated by a dummy?
      >

      > On Nov 30, 2012, at 3:24 PM, "Mike" <mwarner51@...> wrote:
      >
      > > After many, many changes (see "daughter for sale" posting) I did a double batch of Mississippi Swamp Cake this morning, teaching some DO cooking skills to the grand daughter's girl scout troop. Well, 27 degrees, light snow, 15 mph cutting wind on the shores of Lake Ontario. They're inside. Grandpa's out in the driveway.
      > >
      > > New folks are always asking about how to cook. Well, cooking in the cold and wind bring up a special skill set. Even with great side wind barriers on the cook table, wind and coal play havoc with your coals. They deteriorate VERY quickly and you need to stay on top of them. I find the best gauge is seeing how close my flat palm can get to the top coals and that (and watching coal size shrink) tells me the rate of deterioration. Recipe calls for 17 top and 8 bottom so I replaced bottom when the top ones began to fail. It took 60 minutes to cook and I replenished the coals 5 times. You MUST keep a close eye on them. Rotate lid and pot every 10-15 minutes.
      > >
      > > Now. Girl Scouts, like Boy Scouts, love a story. (I honestly don't know where Mississippi Swamp Cake originated but I got it from Biscuit. And he's a character). "Wellll girls, mah ole bud, Mister Biscuit Sims, lives wayyyy back in the hills of M*I*SS*I*SS*I*PP*I he does. Tale's told that Dah Biscuit was sittin on his front porch one day a rockin on his rockin chair, shotgun in lap ..." Well the story went on through coon dogs and bears and bears and cherry trees and chocolate and the invention of the Mississippi Swamp Cake. Yes, I can spin a tall tale. I'm Irish. Bottom line: from the girls of my Daughter and Grand Daughter's Girl Scout Troop - "Thank You Mister Biscuit."
      > >
      > > They now know your name.
      > >
      > > Mike in Upstate NY

    • Lori
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 1, 2012
        Please tell me about the ring method.
        Lori

        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 2, 2012
          Lori,
          It is in our file section. here is the link. Also you can findout about it on www.lsdos.com under information. There is a booklet you can print out.

          http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sDS7ULteTM4rYqNXbdrg7-rlgS_xD8M7p-hXGI0J5HBD0eJ65fTHbl2Y_Sn1Lmql92jZ5ll9bL77DOSF3nY-/History%20of%20Dinwiddie%20Method

          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Lori <bakequery@...> wrote:

          > Please tell me about the ring method.
          > Lori

        • Sami
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 2, 2012
            Yes I agree with Biscuit the ring method is good and I am using it now and working on making chart for the coals count for each Dutch oven sizes
            Sami

            > Lori,
            > It is in our file section. here is the link. Also you can findout about it on www.lsdos.com under information. There is a booklet you can print out.
            >
            > http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sDS7ULteTM4rYqNXbdrg7-rlgS_xD8M7p-hXGI0J5HBD0eJ65fTHbl2Y_Sn1Lmql92jZ5ll9bL77DOSF3nY-/History%20of%20Dinwiddie%20Method
            >
            > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Lori <bakequery@> wrote:
            > >

            > > Please tell me about the ring method.
            > > Lori

          • L E
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 2, 2012
              Hey biscuit. Is the swamp cake recipe posted? I think I owe my grand kids a taste of history. Lol

              Sent from my iPhone

              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 2, 2012
                Its easy enough to retype it!

                2 can's cherry pie filling poured and leveled in a 12" DO or 9x13 pan
                1 box chocolate cake mix poured of cherries and leveled. (I have used brownie before too!)
                1 12 ounce can or Doctor Pepper Sprinkled over.
                1 small bag (6 ounces?) Pecans scattered over wet cake mix
                1 small bag (8 Ounces?) Shredded Sweet Coconut scattered over pecans

                Bake 350F till firm. I like to say firm because this is a Dump Dessert. Results should yield an extremely moist dessert yet cooked completely.
                I also find that if it looks cooked but slightly loose, I remove from heat and let it rest a while. It will firm up without over cooking.

                Never seen a bad Mississippi Swamp Cake. They are like Pizza, they are ALL GOOD just some could be better than others!

                Randy Bear
                www.LeChienCookers.com

                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 3, 2012
                  Hey Neighbor!

                  If you come into the groups, go to the messages and you can do a search for it. It has been posted many times.

                  Also in our file section is recipes. Look under deserts and it is listed there too.

                  Biscuit

                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 3, 2012
                    MISSISSIPPI SWAMP CAKE

                    12 inch Dutch Oven

                    1 21 ounce can cherry pie filling
                    1 box chocolate cake mix
                    1 12 ounce can "Dr.Pepper"
                    2 cups coconut
                    1 cup chopped pecans
                    1 stick margarine or butter
                    cooking spray
                    aluminum foil

                    Line Dutch oven with aluminum foil. Spray foil with a light coat of cooking
                    spray. Put in cherry pie filling and spread over bottom. Pour dry cake mix in
                    and spread. Pour "Dr. Pepper" over top of cake mix and use a spoon to mix in
                    soda. Stir enough to moisten cake mix. Cover top with coconut and then pecans.
                    Arrange over cake 5 small slices of butter or margarine.

                    Cover and cook for about one hour. Put 17 coals on top and 8
                    on bottom. This will make oven 350 degrees.

                    NOTE: I would use ring method, one ring of coals around bottom edge and a ring of coals around top. Maybe two or three in the middle on top as well.

                    --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, L E <kenswife2003@...> wrote:

                    > Hey biscuit. Is the swamp cake recipe posted? I think I owe my grand kids a taste of history. Lol
                    >
                    > Sent from my iPhone
                    >
                    > On Dec 2, 2012, at 5:39, "mississippi_biscuit" <n5hbb@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Lori,
                    > > It is in our file section. here is the link. Also you can findout about it on www.lsdos.com under information. There is a booklet you can print out.
                    > >
                    > > http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sDS7ULteTM4rYqNXbdrg7-rlgS_xD8M7p-hXGI0J5HBD0eJ65fTHbl2Y_Sn1Lmql92jZ5ll9bL77DOSF3nY-/History%20of%20Dinwiddie%20Method
                    > >
                    > > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Lori <bakequery@> wrote:
                    > > >

                    > > > Please tell me about the ring method.
                    > > > Lori

                  • Lori
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 3, 2012
                      That link didn't work but I was able to go to the website and figure out where it was. Thank you.
                      Lori

                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 3, 2012
                        Oh so THAT'S the official recipe!!!
                        Like most of us I twist it just a bit- I hold the foil (however I have 2 boxes of DO liners in truck.  They are at least 2 years old) and add another can of cherries.

                        Maybe next time I make it, I will use my 10" Deep and just use 1 can of cherries.

                        Randy Hebert

                        www.LeChienCookers.com

                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 3, 2012
                          Your most welcomed.

                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 3, 2012
                            A recipe is just like a road map. You can get there many different ways and take some more site seeing on the way.
                            Biscuit

                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 3, 2012
                              Those are called road trips Biscuit! Lots of fun! Ronda

                              > A recipe is just like a road map. You can get there many different ways and take some more site seeing on the way.
                              > Biscuit
                              >
                              > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Randy Hebert <RandyHebert@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Oh so THAT'S the official recipe!!!
                              > > Like most of us I twist it just a bit- I hold the foil (however I have 2 boxes of DO liners in truck.  They are at least 2 years old) and add another can of cherries.
                              > >
                              > > Maybe next time I make it, I will use my 10" Deep and just use 1 can of cherries.
                              > >
                              > > Randy Hebert
                              > >
                              > > www.LeChienCookers.com

                            • Terri
                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 4, 2012
                                Now. Girl Scouts, like Boy Scouts, love a story. (I honestly don't know where Mississippi Swamp Cake originated but I got it from Biscuit. And he's a character). "Wellll girls, mah ole bud, Mister Biscuit Sims, lives wayyyy back in the hills of M*I*SS*I*SS*I*PP*I he does. Tale's told that Dah Biscuit was sittin on his front porch one day a rockin on his rockin chair, shotgun in lap ..." Well the story went on through coon dogs and bears and bears and cherry trees and chocolate and the invention of the Mississippi Swamp Cake. Yes, I can spin a tall tale. I'm Irish. Bottom line: from the girls of my Daughter and Grand Daughter's Girl Scout Troop - "Thank You Mister Biscuit."

                                LOL Very Cute Story!! I'll need you over whenever my twin sons get to cubscout age. they are almost 3 so we got a ways to go yet. :)