Dutch Oven Starter Kit

    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 24, 2012
      Where is the LIKE button on this post???

      Prices are a little off from my comparison but not much.  I did notice Wally World had Lodge lid stands for $10 in camping section.  Price for 12" is spot on at my local hardware store and Walmart was several dollars higher.
      My Mair lid lifter (one of the best designs in my options) was $11 to $15 if I recall correctly.

      Randy Bear

    • dutchovencooking165
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 25, 2012
        yep, I have a backpack with all of the stuff listed! If you don't think you need a certain item on this list, you'll realize quickly the first time that you do! (my case with the little broom).

        > 12 inch Camp Dutch Oven
        > Chimney Starter
        > Long Tongs
        > Leather Gloves
        > Lid Stand
        > Wisp Broom
        > Lid Lifter, could be a claw hammer or channel lock pliers
        >
        > metal oil pan to cook in, or aluminum pan or cooking table or roll some foil on the ground.You also could use some patio stones.
        >
        > Ash Bucket
        >
        > And last..an easy recipe to start with.
        >
        > Chicken Dinner
        > Dump Cake
        > Cornbread or Biscuits
        > Mississippi Swamp Cake
        > Pigs N a corn field
        > soup or stew
        > bake a chicken
        > roast

      • dabrat
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 26, 2012
          Thanks for the list. It really helps but I need to know about the wooden spoons. We have the scrapers so I use plastic high temp spatulas.
          Alice

          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, brad_g8 <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > Biscuit -
          > Must agree that this is a great starter kit
          >
          > Dutch Oven is $56 on Amazon (Lodge 6 Quart, 12 inch oven)
          > Chimney starter should be less than $10
          > Leather Gloves -welding gloves are $5 at harbor freight
          > Lid Stand - $8 or so
          > Broom - $3 to $5
          > Lid Lifter - $5 to $10
          > Ash bucket - $10
          > Patio Stones or something similar $3
          >
          > Get started all brand new from the store for under $100.
          >
          > That's the cheap part.
          >
          > Then the disease sets in. Not like we don't talk about it much here!
          > You've got to have one or two of everything.
          >
          > 6 inch oven
          > 8 inch oven
          > 10 inch oven
          > 10 inch deep
          > 12 inch
          > 12 inch deep
          > 14 inch
          > 14 inch deep
          > 16 inch oven
          >
          > Cooking Tables
          > Prep tables and related stuff
          > complete outdoor kitchens
          >
          > antique ovens
          > frying pans from the 6 inch to a 15 inch
          > deep fryers
          > griddles
          > corn bread pans
          > fajita pans
          > anything old (especially if it has gate marks!)
          >

          > then you feel the obligation to rescue your neighbor's rusted iron
          >
          > you start cooking for local get-togethers, and need a food handlers permit, and MORE IRON!
          >
          > and the list goes on, and on, and on.
          >
          > Not a bad way to go! Gotta spend that money somewhere.
          > Brad

        • Greg Jacobs
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 26, 2012
            Hi Alice,
            Wooden spoons and a wooden spatula are also a must have! I have several.
            The plastic scrappers are great to have also, they are cheap enough (Bed Bath & Beyond), only a buck a piece, so I have at least 7 or 8 in my cook box.
            Greg Jacobs

            Thanks for the list. It really helps but I need to know about the wooden spoons. We have the scrapers so I use plastic high temp spatulas.

            Alice

            --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, brad_g8 <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > Biscuit -

            > Must agree that this is a great starter kit

            > Dutch Oven is $56 on Amazon (Lodge 6 Quart, 12 inch oven)

            > Chimney starter should be less than $10

            > Leather Gloves -welding gloves are $5 at harbor freight

            > Lid Stand - $8 or so

            > Broom - $3 to $5

            > Lid Lifter - $5 to $10

            > Ash bucket - $10

            > Patio Stones or something similar $3

            > Get started all brand new from the store for under $100.

            > That's the cheap part.

            > Then the disease sets in. Not like we don't talk about it much here!

            > You've got to have one or two of everything.

            > 6 inch oven

            > 8 inch oven

            > 10 inch oven

            > 10 inch deep

            > 12 inch

            > 12 inch deep

            > 14 inch

            > 14 inch deep

            > 16 inch oven

            > Cooking Tables

            > Prep tables and related stuff

            > complete outdoor kitchens

            > antique ovens

            > frying pans from the 6 inch to a 15 inch

            > deep fryers

            > griddles

            > corn bread pans

            > fajita pans

            > anything old (especially if it has gate marks!)

            > then you feel the obligation to rescue your neighbor's rusted iron

            > you start cooking for local get-togethers, and need a food handlers permit, and MORE IRON!

            > and the list goes on, and on, and on.

            > Not a bad way to go! Gotta spend that money somewhere.

            > Brad

          • Dwayne Lejeune
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 26, 2012
              You could also buy a large Pizza pan and set it on a gas grill, camp or home BBQ grill to set coals pot on.

              Dwayne ~n~ Stephanie
              2011 Chevy 3500 HD 6.6 Duramax
              2012 Voltage V-3950
              http://www.LeChienCookers.com/
              " Waiting On Someday"

              ________________________________
              But starting out you don't necessarily need all that. We didn't have an ash bucket, because we cooked where there was a trash can or a campfire ring to dump ashes. We didn't have a charcoal chimney, just started charcoal in the fire ring. And for a long time, one of us would hold the lid while the other stirred or added more ingredients. But overall, yes, a good list. I would add a whisk broom. Ronda

              --- In mailto:dutchovencooking%40yahoogroups.com, "dutchovencooking165" <dutchovencooking165@...> wrote:

              > yep, I have a backpack with all of the stuff listed! If you don't think you need a certain item on this list, you'll realize quickly the first time that you do! (my case with the little broom).
              >
              > --- In mailto:dutchovencooking%40yahoogroups.com, "mississippi_biscuit" <n5hbb@> wrote:
              > >
              > > 12 inch Camp Dutch Oven
              > > Chimney Starter
              > > Long Tongs
              > > Leather Gloves
              > > Lid Stand
              > > Wisp Broom
              > > Lid Lifter, could be a claw hammer or channel lock pliers
              > >
              > > metal oil pan to cook in, or aluminum pan or cooking table or roll some foil on the ground.You also could use some patio stones.
              > >
              > > Ash Bucket
              > >
              > > And last..an easy recipe to start with.
              > >
              > > Chicken Dinner
              > > Dump Cake
              > > Cornbread or Biscuits
              > > Mississippi Swamp Cake
              > > Pigs N a corn field
              > > soup or stew
              > > bake a chicken
              > > roast

            • Rob
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 26, 2012
                I got a 16" pizza pan for cooking on.
                I have a fold up campstove stand like this
                http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-High-Stove-Stand/9870594
                . I put the propane campstove on the stand and
                the pizza pan on that then use the DO on the pizza pan.
                Works well, the stand takes almost no room
                stored, the camp stove comes with windbreaks
                built in and I carry them with me in my VW anyway.

                Rob
                vwrobb@...
                ps/ I've used the pizza pan on the gas grill at
                home too as the surface to use the DO too....

                At 11/26/2012 01:28 PM,Dwayne Lejeune wrote:

                >You could also buy a large Pizza pan and set it
                >on a gas grill, camp or home BBQ grill to set coals pot on.Â
                >
                >Dwayne ~n~ Stephanie
                >2011 Chevy 3500 HD 6.6 Duramax
                >2012Â Voltage V-3950
                ><http://www.LeChienCookers.com/>http://www.LeChienCookers.com/
                >" Waiting On Someday"
              • Tomsims22
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 27, 2012
                  Wooden spoons
                  Go to link section in group. We have some vendors listed.

                  Wooden spoons are good to use in a Dutch oven. The metal ones the a to scrape off the seasoning of your oven.

                  I find them on sale all the time.

                  A friend in the Tyler Texas Group makes them. His name is Bobby . The ones I have and know who made them are special to me.

                  Biscuit
                  THE HAPPY DUTCH OVEN COOK
                • John
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 27, 2012
                    Heres My list of things I take for cooking. Wishbone

                    • 1 whisk broom
                    • 1 can opener
                    • 1 grater
                    • 1 potato peeler
                    • 1 spatula
                    • 1 serving spoon
                    • 1 serving fork
                    • 1 ladle
                    • 1 salt shaker
                    • 1 pepper shaker
                    • 1 bottle cinnamon
                    • 1 bottle onion powder
                    • 1 bottle chili powder
                    • 1 bottle seasoning salt
                    • 1 zip-loc with wood strike-anywhere matches)
                    • Scotch Brite scrubbing pads in zip-loc
                    • 1 measuring cup set
                    • 1 dutch oven lid lifter
                    • 1 charcoal tongs (aka salad tongs)
                    • 1 pair leather gloves (for cooking only)
                    • 1 apron
                    • 1 sm bottle dish soap
                    • 1 sm bottle cooking oil
                    • 1 bottle squeeze margarine or butter
                    • 1 coffee pot or 1-gallon can
                    • 1 roll aluminum heavy duty foil
                    • 5 lg trash bags
                    • 1 roll paper towels
                    • 1 sm bottle pancake syrup
                    • 1 sm bottle mustard
                    • 1 sm bottle catsup
                    • 1 one-liter bottle juice powder
                    • 1 one-liter bottle hot chocolate powder
                    • 1 one-liter bottle powdered milk
                    • 1 half-liter bottle sugar
                    • 1 pkg paper plates
                    • 1 pkg paper bowls
                    • 1 pkg paper "hot" cups
                    • 1 pkg plastic spoons, forks, knives
                    • 1 metal charcoal starter
                    • 1 first aid kit
                    • 1 box 1-gallon zip-loc freezer bags
                    • 1 box 1-quart zip-loc freezer bags
                    • 1 steel table for dutch oven cooking
                    • 1 five-gallon plastic bucket full of charcoal (more bucketfuls if required by menus or length of campout)
                    • 1 five-gallon water jug
                    • Plastic dish pan
                    • Hot pads