What do I need to get started?

  • cmoe498
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 22, 2012
      I am new to the group and am enjoying reading all of your posts

      I have done a little DO cooking as a leader with a BSA troop.

      Now that I am doing more family camping, I would like to get some equipment of my own.

      What are the basics that I need?

      What size pot should I start out with?

      Is there anything else that a must have?

      Thanks for all the input!

      ~Craig
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 22, 2012
        My first DO was a 10" deep, which is 6 quarts I think. That was just all I could find. My favorites though are the 12 regular and the 12 deep, so I'd say get one of those, depending on how many people you will be cooking for and what kinds of foods you will be cooking. Then you need something to cook on, which can be a disk table, or an old wheel barrow or wagon, or heck, even just cook on the gravel! A lid lifter is nice, but you can also use a claw hammer. We like our Weber charcoal chimney, for starting coals. But again, not necessary. You will probably want some good gloves, like welders gloves, for lifting, turning, moving the pot. A wisk broom for brushing off the coals, and some long handled tongs for placing the charcoal. If you haven't already done so, check out the pictures in the photo section of our group. And ask as many questions as you want / need to! Ronda

        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "cmoe498" <CMOE@...> wrote:

        > I am new to the group and am enjoying reading all of your posts
        >
        > I have done a little DO cooking as a leader with a BSA troop.
        >
        > Now that I am doing more family camping, I would like to get some equipment of my own.
        >
        > What are the basics that I need?
        >
        > What size pot should I start out with?
        >
        > Is there anything else that a must have?
        >
        > Thanks for all the input!
        >
        > ~Craig

      • Bob Zukowski
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 23, 2012
          If I could only own one Dutch Oven it would be a 12" Deep. Add a chimney starter and some charcoal and you are ready to go!