Re: OK, I'll ask...TURKEY!

  • James P
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 19, 2012
      If the lid doesn't sit flat, then I'll have to take desperate measures, but after watching a couple of videos on spatchcocking, I'm quite certain that my abilities and lack of very good cutlery will make that procedure "almost" impossible. I do believe that I should be able to close the lid. I also believe the lid may very well contact the bird, especially in the center. I'll just keep the charcoal to the outer perrimiter and hope for the best.

      I appreciate everyone's suggestions. I've also decided to make some blueberry scones to go with the Mountain Man breakfast I'm making tomorrow for the boys.

      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Chris Stahl <cjsredfish@...> wrote:

      > Sorry I forgot to include" after a few hours remove plastic and start cooking turkey on you bed of aromatic veggies" the plastic saves inside of Dutch while the turkey is learning to conform to the shape desired and is more sanitary.
      >
      > On Nov 19, 2012, at 7:21 AM, "beeman" <amendment2@...> wrote:
      >

      > > PLEASE, don't line your Dutch oven with PLASTIC! Removing the backbone, (Called spatchcocking the turkey by the way)is a great way to flatten your Turkey and ensure it doesn't touch the lid where the skin and the meat under it would burn. I like everything else that has been said. Try spatchcocking a chicken and cooking it in the oven first tonight or tomorrow as a trial run. If the chicken looks like it is going to fill up the oven, the Turkey WILL fill it up. Might need a larger Dutch oven...
      > > Dave Fox
      > >
      > > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Chris Stahl <cjsredfish@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Veggies are fine but don't add extra water otherwise you'll have soup . Try and pre-flatten the bird as much as possible. Line Dutch with plastic and butterfly by removing the backbone. Place heavy weight on it for a few hours in the frig otherwise you'll have carbon skin. At the end of the day if you still lack crispy skin then the last 20 minutes create a spacer with 2 bamboo skewers between lid and pot to allow excess steam out and lid heat to crisp.

    • Wally Dennis
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 19, 2012
        If the lid wont set down leave it off and put dome over it.  Volcano and Camp Chef both sell them.  Or cover the top of  the  Turkey with heavy duty  foil.

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 19, 2012
          Great info, Wally, since I do happen to have a Volcano WITH dome lid! Thanks a lot!

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 19, 2012
            Use the Volcano to cook the turky in.  I have I have 9 Volcano's and they work great.  Was at a Thanksgiving Demo Sat.  They were useing volcanos.

            --- In mailto:dutchovencooking%40yahoogroups.com, Wally Dennis <wally.dennis@...> wrote:

            > If the lid wont set down leave it off and put dome over it.  Volcano and Camp Chef both sell them.  Or cover the top of  the  Turkey with heavy duty  foil.

          • Jeff Kidd
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 23, 2012
              Sorry just getting to my emails.

              I have been doing turkeys for a few years now. I put up to a 10lb Turkey in
              a Lodge 14" Deep but that is the max and usually I had to break some bones
              so it sit right. I could usually put 2 x @ 8lb turkeys in the same DO as it
              wasn't about the width, but the height as you know. A few years ago my
              loving wife purchased a 17" Maca DO for me and that has been my Turkey and
              Prime Rib cooker since. The Maca is a beast weighing 70+ lbs by itself and
              I have done a 27lbs bird in it.

              I have done birds with just a trivet, birds with juices (Apple Juice,
              Chicken Broth), birds not stuffed, birds stuffed. My last few have been
              20+lbs stuffed with juices in a roasting bag on a roasting rack that sits in
              my 17" DO. The Bird/roasting bag does not touch the DO. These are some the
              best birds I have ever made. If you are on Facebook have a look at my
              albums for pics of my birds.

              For those on the East coast like me, the shipping for the Maca was more than
              the Dutch Oven Cost.

              Jeff

              https://www.facebook.com/jeff.kidd