peas and onions in a white sauce

  • Da Cap'n
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 12, 2012
      Howdy folks

      This is one of my most favorite side dishes for turkey day, and I will be
      cooking it at the upcoming LSDOS, Sam Houston chapter , Turkey day DOG, 17Th
      Nov. at Willis, Texas.

      being a lazy cook, I have devised a way to cook this easily and it comes out
      great every time.

      You will need:

      1 lb fresh frozen English peas

      1 10 to 12 oz pack of pearl onions (young onions in their skins, about an inch
      in diameter, sometimes called boiling onions, they come in a net bag.)

      2 packets Pioneer brand white gravy mix.

      2 chicken flavored bouillon cubes.

      a shake of cayenne red pepper (optional)

      prep:

      parboil onions in a sauce pan on a camp stove for 3 minutes, remove and cool,
      cut off the root end, then squeeze the other end, the onion will pop out with no
      trouble. place onions in a sauce pan and boil till almost fork tender (about 10
      minutes), remove and drain.

      place peas in a sauce pan and boil according to package directions, drain peas.

      prepare the white gravy according to package directions, add the bullion cubes
      while cooking, when done set aside.

      In a Dutch oven, add the onions and peas, then the white gravy till the
      vegetables are well sauced (do not over sauce) then start simmering at low coals
      for about 10 more minutes, then serve.

      You may endup with extra gravy, if that's the case you will have to figure out
      what to do with it, however, being seasoned campers, I don't think that will be
      a problem!

      Cooking with Da Cap'n

      Regards

      Cap