Re: Things to do around Lake DeGray next year

  • icookforcrowds
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 3, 2012
      Well, Biscuit, I'm a teacher and another one of my friends is a school bus driver. Folks who work for the public school systems don't get vacations in October unfortunately. I've vacationed in the Hot Springs Area with my family before at Lake Ouachita State Park. Beautiful part of the country! This time a weekend is all we'll be able to do. Looking forward to it already!
      Becky

      > OH BECKY!
      > Plan a vacation and stay all week. It is so much fun starting early with a group of friends. A weekend is just not long enough.
      > I may have to stay two weeks.
      >
      > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Eddie & Becky White" <whitecrew5@> wrote:
      > >
      > > My friends and I plan on being there next year! Just for the weekend,
      > > probably arrive on Friday, but more than likely 4 of us from MO!
      > > Becky
      > >
      > > On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 4:16 AM, mississippi_biscuit <n5hbb@> wrote:
      > >
      > > > **
      > > >

      > > > Start thinking about making plans to visit the area for a week or so.
      > > > There are so many things to do in this area. From renting pontoon boats,
      > > > fishing, scuba diving, golfing, Hiking and taking a dip in a Hot Spring. No
      > > > wonder they call Arkansas The Natural State.
      > > >
      > > > I encourage you to go on line an order a Vacation Kit. Tons of information.
      > > >
      > > > http://www.arkansas.com
      > > >
      > > > The 2013 10th Annual National DOG

    • Clyde Dildine
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 3, 2012
        It has been years since I lived in Hot Springs but if they both or either are still there you should visit Stubby's and McClard's BBQ to decide which is the best. It has been a rivalry going on for generations. You won't be disappointed by either.

        Clyde the Guide

        > Start thinking about making plans to visit the area for a week or so. There are so many things to do in this area. From renting pontoon boats, fishing, scuba diving, golfing, Hiking and taking a dip in a Hot Spring. No wonder they call Arkansas The Natural State.
        >
        > I encourage you to go on line an order a Vacation Kit. Tons of information.
        >
        > http://www.arkansas.com
        >
        > The 2013 10th Annual National DOG

      • Ken
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 3, 2012
          I don't think you know it, but Biscuit and I both work for school districts. Or in my case it was 'worked' past tense. Retirement is wonderful.

          I don't know how it is where you teach, but in Texas we have personal days which we either take or lose if we don't take them. They are given by the district.

          I never worried about going to a DOG, and I had plenty of days built up to use. In fact, the last semester I taught, they told me they would not pay me for the days I had left. I took many four day weekends that spring.

          In the many years I spent in the classroom I learned it was easier to find substitutes in the fall than in the spring.

          Ken

        • tpstauffer@aol.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 3, 2012
            Ken,
            Yes, those are valid points for you....but, we have kids in school, and we don't take our kids out of school for "vacations". However, next year, all kids are in college, so I could take vacation. BUT, my wife went back to college, and she would not be able to take off 2 weeks from class. I do like the sound of DeGray. Still not sure about gas... at current prices, it will cost me $1,500 just in gas.
            Tom

            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 3, 2012
              Clyde....GREAT tip!

              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 4, 2012
                Tom
                Don't call it a Vacation. Call it a Field Trip. This is a learning tool. Make it like a distant learning.

                Biscuit

                --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, tpstauffer@... wrote:

                > Ken,
                > Yes, those are valid points for you....but, we have kids in school, and we don't take our kids out of school for "vacations". However, next year, all kids are in college, so I could take vacation. BUT, my wife went back to college, and she would not be able to take off 2 weeks from class. I do like the sound of DeGray. Still not sure about gas... at current prices, it will cost me $1,500 just in gas.
                > Tom

              • Greg Jacobs
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 4, 2012
                  Tom,
                  Biscuit is right! You can write off a "field trip", but not a vacation!! hehehehe!!!
                  Greg