What kind of rice?

  • James P
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 2, 2012
      I made a Chicken and Rice meal a few days ago. Three things: it was quite salty, the rice was somewhat reduced to mush after cooking for an hour and the ratio of rice to chicken was off (in favor of the chicken). I substituted Uncle Ben's Wild Rice medley which was probably the problem on all three counts. I guess it was a precooked rice which wouldn't have expanded like a long grain or medium grain rice. More rice would have absorbed more salt plus I used the seasoning packet from the rice packet which, of course had salt. Am I correct with these assumptions? And my basic question is: which type of rice will stand up to cooking for an hour or longer without breaking down? I think I got the recipe from this group. The type of rice was not specified. After all the problems, I enjoyed it. It was quite good and I want to make it again. Also, the original recipe called for Lipton's Onion Soup Mix, which of course, had a great deal of sodium. I'll probably omit that next time.

      Jim
    • Lori
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 2, 2012
        I'm completely new to DO cooking so I will answer from a chef's prospective. There are a few things that could have gone wrong: too much liquid, it was cooked too long, and it was the wrong kind of rice. I make a chicken dish in my oven using rice which is always cooked for that long, sometimes even longer, until the rice is done. I've never had that problem. That leads me to think there was too much liquid and you used the wrong sort of rice. I always cook with basmati rice. It's a long grain rice.

        Now we'll see what the experienced DO cooks have to say.
        Lori

[...]

      • Greg Jacobs
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 2, 2012
          Try basmati (sp) rice next time!!

[...]

        • beeman
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 3, 2012
            Here is my opinion and I will sayright off that you get what you pay for!
            As far as the rice goes, brown rice takes almost an hour to cook since it hasn't had a lot of the outside layers polished off. It is more complete food that white rice also, generally. OR I would say include less added liquid. Depending on the type of chicken you use, it can have a lot of injected liquid, which is often salty. I am referring to a whole chicken, not necessarily chicken parts. Look at the packaging, which will often say something like 20% solution added. You cut it up to use in the recipe and the liquid will add to the amount as it cooks.

            --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Greg Jacobs <gkjacobs2001@...> wrote:

            > Try basmati (sp) rice next time!!

          • Doubting Thomas
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 3, 2012
              We use "LONG GRAIN"  and or Long Grain/Wild Rice combo.
              cooks up great
              doesn't get all mushy

              Good Luck

              ________________________________
              Here is my opinion and I will sayright off that you get what you pay for!
              As far as the rice goes, brown rice takes almost an hour to cook since it hasn't had a lot of the outside layers polished off. It is more complete food that white rice also, generally. OR I would say include less added liquid. Depending on the type of chicken you use, it can have a lot of injected liquid, which is often salty. I am referring to a whole chicken, not necessarily chicken parts. Look at the packaging, which will often say something like 20% solution added. You cut it up to use in the recipe and the liquid will add to the amount as it cooks.

              --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Greg Jacobs <gkjacobs2001@...> wrote:

              > Try basmati (sp) rice next time!!

            • Rob Millette
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 3, 2012
                There is a recipe for chicken and rice in the booklet that comes with camp stoves from Lodge. Personally, I use the Mahatma long grain rice with a can of condensed cream of chicken soup, a can of water, and a can of chicken broth. The size of the soup can depends on how the size pot I am using. This works very well. It has some seasoning and those partaking can season further to taste.

                Robert J. Millette, P.E., P.L.S.
                P.O. Box 1277
                Florence, MS 39073
                601-940-7374
              • James P
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 3, 2012
                  Thanks to all for your comments. I'm making chicken pot pie today!

                  --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Doubting Thomas <tomdoubts@...> wrote:

                  > We use "LONG GRAIN"  and or Long Grain/Wild Rice combo.
                  > cooks up great
                  > doesn't get all mushy
                  >
                  > Good Luck
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • Greg Jacobs
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 3, 2012
                    That sounds great!! We'll be there in about 10 hours, save us some would you?
                    HAHAHA!!

                    Thanks to all for your comments. I'm making chicken pot pie today!

                    --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Doubting Thomas <tomdoubts@...> wrote:

                    > We use "LONG GRAIN"  and or Long Grain/Wild Rice combo.

                    > cooks up great

                    > doesn't get all mushy

                    > Good Luck

                  • James P