Artisian Breads

  • Terri
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 29 9:29 AM
      Hello, My name is Terri from the Houston area. New to the group. Saturday I ordered a cheap, but had great reviews, bread machine. And then Sunday I spent most of the day online looking for recipes and after reading and reading and watching videos, and reading some more...I decided a dutch oven is really all I needed. I want to make artisian breads. The bread machine already shipped so I'm debating either keeping it for the kneading dough feature or letting UPS return it "undeliverable". Then last night I ordered a Lodge Logic - 8 quart Camp style dutch oven. The type with legs. I'm really excited about my purchase. I also use a wood burning stove, as much as possible during our cold mornings, and the dutch oven is going to make a pleasant & fun addition to our semi rustic living style. I'm new to dutch oven cooking also and been thinking either I can put the oven inside my wood stove or leave it off to the side and use coals.

      I would love to hear from the bread lovers in the group. Bread recipes and how you use your ovens in the home environment and everyone that uses it in their fireplaces as well.

      Cheers!
    • Rob
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 29 10:30 AM
        You could always use the break machine to kneed the dough for your DO.

        Rob
        vwrobb@...

        At 10/29/2012 09:29 AM,Terri wrote:

        >Hello, My name is Terri from the Houston area. New to the group.
        >Saturday I ordered a cheap, but had great reviews, bread machine.
        >And then Sunday I spent most of the day online looking for recipes
        >and after reading and reading and watching videos, and reading some
        >more...I decided a dutch oven is really all I needed. I want to make
        >artisian breads. The bread machine already shipped so I'm debating
        >either keeping it for the kneading dough feature or letting UPS
        >return it "undeliverable". Then last night I ordered a Lodge Logic -
        >8 quart Camp style dutch oven. The type with legs. I'm really
        >excited about my purchase. I also use a wood burning stove, as much
        >as possible during our cold mornings, and the dutch oven is going to
        >make a pleasant & fun addition to our semi rustic living style. I'm
        >new to dutch oven cooking also and been thinking either I can put
        >the oven inside my wood stove or leave it off to the side and use coals.
        >
        >I would love to hear from the bread lovers in the group. Bread
        >recipes and how you use your ovens in the home environment and
        >everyone that uses it in their fireplaces as well.
        >
        >Cheers!
      • deborah
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 29 10:58 AM
          Have you read the book, Artisan Breads in 5 minutes a Day? You can also google "no knead bread" and get lots of great artisan bread recipes to cook in your dutch oven. I also make a sourdough bread, "San Francisco style" that can cook in a DO. Or an oven.

          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Terri" <chile.pepper@...> wrote:

          > Hello, My name is Terri from the Houston area. New to the group. Saturday I ordered a cheap, but had great reviews, bread machine. And then Sunday I spent most of the day online looking for recipes and after reading and reading and watching videos, and reading some more...I decided a dutch oven is really all I needed. I want to make artisian breads. The bread machine already shipped so I'm debating either keeping it for the kneading dough feature or letting UPS return it "undeliverable". Then last night I ordered a Lodge Logic - 8 quart Camp style dutch oven. The type with legs. I'm really excited about my purchase. I also use a wood burning stove, as much as possible during our cold mornings, and the dutch oven is going to make a pleasant & fun addition to our semi rustic living style. I'm new to dutch oven cooking also and been thinking either I can put the oven inside my wood stove or leave it off to the side and use coals.
          >
          > I would love to hear from the bread lovers in the group. Bread recipes and how you use your ovens in the home environment and everyone that uses it in their fireplaces as well.
          >
          > Cheers!

        • Doubting Thomas
          A Little Time Consuming - but some of the Best Bread Ever... No-Knead Bread
    Ingredients  3 cups all-purpose flour
 1/4 tsp rapid-rise yeast
 1 1/4
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 29 11:08 AM
            A Little Time Consuming - but some of the Best Bread Ever...

            No-Knead Bread

             Ingredients

            3 cups all-purpose flour

            1/4 tsp rapid-rise yeast

            1 1/4 tsp salt

            1 5/8 cups water

            Cornmeal, wheat bran, or more flour
            for dusting

            1. In a large bowl, whisk together
            the flour, yeast, and salt. Add water, and stir with a wooden spoon until the
            dry ingredients are moistened. Then cover the bowl with plastic wrap, and set
            aside for 18 hours.

            2. Dough is ready when its surface is
            dotted with bubbles, as above. Pour the dough onto a lightly floured board.
            Dust the top of the dough with extra flour, and dust your fingers, too. Then
            knead the dough 4 times, by patting it out and then folding it into thirds, as
            if you were folding a letter. Cover with plastic wrap, and let rest for 15
            minutes.

            3. Liberally dust a cotton kitchen
            towel with cornmeal, wheat bran, or flour. Form the dough into ball, and place
            it, seam-side down, on the towel; dust the top of the dough, and cover it with
            another cotton towel. Let rise for 2 hours.

            4. Turn the oven to
            450F, set the covered pot on the center rack, and let it preheat for 30
            minutes. Remove the pot from the oven, place your hand under the towel, and
            flip the dough into the pot, its seam now facing up. If the dough sticks to the
            towel, don’t worry. Just scrape it off as best you can. Shake the pot to help
            center the dough. Bake in the covered pot for 30 minutes, then uncover and bake
            for another 15 minutes or slightly longer, until the crust is perfectly
            browned. Cool on a wire rack.

            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 29 12:54 PM
              Terri,
                I am in the Katy area and just cooked a bread an cobbler yesterday afternoon.,outside on the patio. I used two 10" ovens with charcoal as the fuel base.

                You can e-mail me at omaralvarez.id@..., with any questions ,would be glad to help ypu out.

              ________________________________
[...]

            • daindiana
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 29 2:34 PM
                If you shop Gander Mountain online you can get 20% off Lodge equipment. They gave me the discount at the store also.

                Don

                the online number to get the discount 741852

                SAVE 20%
                thru Nov 3

                (741852)

                I tried last weekend stacking my Dutch Ovens (two 10") it was great making soup in one and biscuits in the other. Could not get the tops of the biscuits to brown on top so I flipped them. 8th time cooking. Food (meat) & Fire what more can you ask from a hobby.
              • Terri
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 29 3:23 PM
                  I couldn't wait until my Lodge oven to get here to make a loaf and when I was at the market (H.E.B.) (for the locals) they had a line called Cocinaware (their own brand) and a 5 quart enamel cast iron dutch oven for $29. Beautiful bold colors! After researching over the weekend I realize that is a great buy and bought a baby blue one. The handle is oven safe to 425 degrees so I am trying a reciepe I found on dutchovenmania.com that bakes at 375 degrees It is called Irish Soda Bread. I have an over the stove covection oven only and it just fits inside sitting on a rack. The loaf seemed a bit big for this pot but it did fit. I'm thinking I should of shaved some off. To late. The recipe didn't call for any yeast...well, there you have it. I'm in this all the way. (ha ha) We love bread around here and I love to cook. I'll be very surprised if it comes out perfect. If it doesn't I'll do it again until I get it right. :)

                  P.S. Hello my Katy neighbor! Don't be surprised if you hear from me.
                • Terri
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 29 3:51 PM
                    I just checked on my creation at the 45 minute mark and it is looking beautiful!! The internal temp was only 160 so I put it back in for another 10. Fingers crossed!
                  • Ken
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 29 4:18 PM
                      Those are great ovens for the price. We bought several of them to use as gifts last Christmas.

                      A couple of years ago they also had an oval shaped oven. I didn't get one, but I will if they ever offer them again.

                      Ken

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 1, 2012
                        Thank you everyone with your comments! I'm already addicted to making breads and I can't seem to stop. Made a cheeder cheese recipe yesterday that my 2 year old twin sons absolutely loved. That loaf was gone by the end of the day. One son walked up to me with a piece hanging out of his mouth, looking up at me, smiling and saying, "yummmm". This son will know how to get things from me. ;) The other son doesn't communicate as well but he kept doing the "more" hand sign. That works for me also. :) He'll get his way also.

                        My Lodge oven came in yesterday so I'm trying to think of something to be our first meal. Good for me I already have a bag of charcole and I believe I have an old rusted wok in my barn I'm going to use to heat the charcole in. Although, not sure if I threw that out a couple of years ago doing some cleaning out. Oh well, I'm sure I'll find something without spending more cash on a charcole gadget.

                        Thank you also to 2011 National Champ Dawn Mills for emailing me. What a great gal!! Btw, we are buds now! (ha ha) And thanks to the other members that also emailed me with recipes. My next recipe will be one using a bottle of beer. Do you know who I'm talking about!?! :))

                        Happy cooking!
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 1, 2012
                          You can use an old cookie sheet to light your charcoal on, as well as cook on it, if that wok dont show up.

                          Mark