STORM WARNINGS!

  • Mike
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 29, 2012
      Hey gang,

      Our impending storm brings to mind what we as DO cooks can do to be prepared. Yeah, I stock up on stuff before going to a DOG but as NY slides into Winter, getting cut off from life sometimes happens. We get a nasty ice storm about every 15 years and we may be looking at power outages as Sandy comes North and West.

      Always be stocked up on;

      canned or boxed broth
      canned veggies
      canned meats (chicken, beef, tuna, ...)
      canned evaporated milk
      canned fruits and a couple of cake mixes for cobblers
      spices, spices, spices
      lots of Spam (some folks refuse to classify it as "meat")
      flour and bread making materials
      charcoal
      enough propane for the grill, two burner Camp Chef, Coleman 2 burner
      flashlights and batteries (Jack Wallace suggests headlamps for ease of use)

      Other suggestions?

      As Jack reminds us, using charcoal inside is a no-no from a fire standpoint and a CO2 issue as well.

      This morning we filled all kinda Tupperware with water - about 20 gallons worth.

      Keep us in the Northeast in prayer - several IDOS Chapters will be under the gun. Here in Rochester, NY were looking at 20 foot waves off Lake Ontario and 50+ mph winds.

      Mike Warner
      Secretary Western New York Dutch Oven Society - IDOS
      Region 8 Representative - IDOS
    • tpstauffer@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 29, 2012
        Water. Stock up, fill your containers...

        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 29, 2012
          Another good item to have on hand is a military 5 gallon water can!

          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 29, 2012
            At 10/29/2012 09:42 AM,Mike wrote:

            >Hey gang,
            >
            >Our impending storm brings to mind what we as DO cooks can do to be
            >prepared. Yeah, I stock up on stuff before going to a DOG but as NY
            >slides into Winter, getting cut off from life sometimes happens. We
            >get a nasty ice storm about every 15 years and we may be looking at
            >power outages as Sandy comes North and West.
            >
            >Always be stocked up on;
            >
            >Other suggestions?

            Those handcrank radios are real handy when the power goes off, they
            will work on batteries too. If I buy another it will come with the
            shortwave bands....

            Rob
            vwrobb@...
          • Leslie Lovett
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 29, 2012
              Don't forget medications!

              Radio

              Ya'll be safe!!
              Leslie

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 29, 2012
                I also fill our tub and washer with water.

                Leslie

              • Ken
                Message 7 of 16 , Oct 29, 2012
                  Howdy, Mike.

                  Welcome to hurricane season. We keep these and many other items stocked up year around.

                  Ken

                  --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mwarner51@...> wrote:

                  > Hey gang,
                  >
                  > Our impending storm brings to mind what we as DO cooks can do to be prepared. Yeah, I stock up on stuff before going to a DOG but as NY slides into Winter, getting cut off from life sometimes happens. We get a nasty ice storm about every 15 years and we may be looking at power outages as Sandy comes North and West.
                  >
                  > Always be stocked up on;
                  >
                  > canned or boxed broth
                  > canned veggies
                  > canned meats (chicken, beef, tuna, ...)
                  > canned evaporated milk
                  > canned fruits and a couple of cake mixes for cobblers
                  > spices, spices, spices
                  > lots of Spam (some folks refuse to classify it as "meat")
                  > flour and bread making materials
                  > charcoal
                  > enough propane for the grill, two burner Camp Chef, Coleman 2 burner
                  > flashlights and batteries (Jack Wallace suggests headlamps for ease of use)
                  >
                  > Other suggestions?
                  >
                  > As Jack reminds us, using charcoal inside is a no-no from a fire standpoint and a CO2 issue as well.
                  >
                  > This morning we filled all kinda Tupperware with water - about 20 gallons worth.
                  >
                  > Keep us in the Northeast in prayer - several IDOS Chapters will be under the gun. Here in Rochester, NY were looking at 20 foot waves off Lake Ontario and 50+ mph winds.
                  >
                  > Mike Warner
                  > Secretary Western New York Dutch Oven Society - IDOS
                  > Region 8 Representative - IDOS

                • John Frerichs
                  Message 8 of 16 , Oct 29, 2012
                    Stay Safe everybody!
                    John

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 16 , Oct 29, 2012
                      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mwarner51@...> wrote:

                      Sounds like ya'll are ready to hunker down! My prayers are with you and your family. And all of the other Yankees. :)

                    • Dwayne Lejeune
                      Message 10 of 16 , Oct 29, 2012
                        We down South feel your pain!  I'm offshore at work (Gulf Of Mexico) pinned to the TV watching and Praying for ya'll.

                        Dwayne ~n~ Stephanie
                        2011 Chevy 3500 HD 6.6 Duramax
                        2012 Voltage V-3950
                        http://www.LeChienCookers.com/
                        " Waiting On Someday"

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 16 , Oct 29, 2012
                          One of my daughters is in Manhattan, in a dorm. The building is swaying, due to 100 mph winds. One apartment building lost the entire front facade, and a crane is dangling. She just recd a text saying that Zone B, where she is, is now in a state of emergency. NYC is getting pounded right now. Another daughter is in DC, just waiting for the power to go out. Other family members had a HUGE tree crush their house, and they are now evacuating. Another family member lives on a street that was ordered to evacuate, and the surge from Long Island Sound is pushing water up the street. Somehow, we still have power. Over 300,000 are already out of power in CT. Could be a long night. BUT, I have charcoal, and my ovens. We will not starve!
                          Tom

                          Message 12 of 16 , Oct 29, 2012
                            It's really blowing up a storm up here in Southeastern Pennsylvania. We still have lights but hundreds of thousands do not. I sure hope the roof does not blow off the chicken coop. I am charging my good camera right now so I can hopefully get a good video of the wind.
                            Lori

                            Message 13 of 16 , Oct 29, 2012
                              My sister texted to tell me her husband was outside with the dog when half of one of her trees fell down in her back yard. It hit a power line and sparks were flying everywhere. She was terrified. She lives in Wyncote, PA. No one was hurt thank God. She has some HUGE trees in her back yard. I'd be scared to go to bed if I was her. I'd make my husband drive me to a hotel. LOL.
                              Lori

                              Message 14 of 16 , Oct 29, 2012
                                yea I was thinking about all yall. You T-bone etc, man Y'll brave, Me I would have hooked and ran, Heck We are having 10' seas and 25 MPH winds in the gulf right now ans we are many miles away from Sandy.....  Stay safe my cooking friend.

                                Message 15 of 16 , Oct 29, 2012
                                  Our thoughts and prayers are with you and all on the sharp end right now!!!
                                  Greg Jacobs

                                  From: Mike <mailto:mwarner51%40yahoo.com>;

                                  To: mailto:dutchovencooking%40yahoogroups.com

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Oct 30, 2012
                                    We on the West Coast are praying for you and as I was thinking about
                                    those who have dutch ovens, what a blessing it is to have the knowledge to
                                    be able to use them for emergencies and actually a good time to help your
                                    neighbors realize the importance of them in an emergency. I am from
                                    Seattle and we have taught classes. Shortly after one of our classes, a
                                    community lost power for several days and one couple emailed us and thanked
                                    us for the training. They didnt lose any of thier food. Wish my friend
                                    and I were closer and would love to help

                                    *Gary Butterfield*

                                    G.B. Custom Carts and Designs
                                    G.B. Home Renovations

                                    glb049@...