Re: Dutch Oven Tags

  • Marilyn
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 28, 2012
      I got mine from chuckwagon supply.

      Marilyn Mahan
      Team A&M

      Sent from my iPhone
    • Lori
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 29, 2012
        This looks like the cheapest solution yet! Thanks for sharing.
        Lori
        Kimberton, PA

        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 31, 2012
          Ref. ID tags:
          If you are interested in making your own tags and tags for your fellow DO cooks; go to www.unline.com and look for brass disks.  They have holes already punched in them.  You can get a set of stamps at Harbor Freight to stamp the disks.  Home Depot and Lowes (or any key shop) can supply the rings.  I use Hog Rings and a Hog Ring Tool to attach the disks to the handle of my DOs.  You will need a piece of flat steel to stamp the disks and a heavy hammer.  Be aware that the disks may bow a little when they are hammered.  Have fun.  I have made a bunch for the scouters in my area.

          Carter Crump
          Cast Iron Cooking Club
          Old Hickory Council
          5104 Ramillie Run
          Winston-Salem, NC 27106
          Phone 336-650-2711

          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 31, 2012
            Wrong URL
            http://m.uline.com/mt/www.uline.com/BL_3036/Metal-Tags?un_jtt_redirect%c2%a0

            Randy Bear

            www.LeChienCookers.com

          • Kent Anderson
            Message 5 of 23 , Nov 1, 2012
              Thanks. Those look good

              Kent

              Message 6 of 23 , Nov 1, 2012
                Or if your too cheap like me keep your eye out for scrap sheets of stainless steel. Where? I'm curently using the housing salvaged from a neighbor's dead toaster oven. Cut to any shape/size with tin snips. Drill hole but hold it with pliers cause if it grabs as it breaks thru it can cut you as it spins. Place on soft wood board and use letter set (<$5 at Harbor Freight) to stamp whatever. They always curl but they're easily reflattened with a scrap 2X4 and a wack of the hammer. I never thought of the idea to use a hog ring but love it, especially the price.

                Feels like I've made them for half the troops in the council. I make extras and hand them out at our cooking contests so every troop goes home with the right pot lid. The boys can always use a flat blade screwdriver to create the letters if needed.

                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 1, 2012
                  I use a 3/8" flat washer.  Has room for initials  date number or what you want to use for idenity..

                  Hole in center to use what ever you want to secure it to oven I've used beaded key chains.

                  If you are interested in making your own tags and tags for your fellow DO cooks; go to http://www.unline.com/ and look for brass disks.  They have holes already punched in them.  You can get a set of stamps at Harbor Freight to stamp the disks.  Home Depot and Lowes (or any key shop) can supply the rings.  I use Hog Rings and a Hog Ring Tool to attach the disks to the handle of my DOs.  You will need a piece of flat steel to stamp the disks and a heavy hammer.  Be aware that the disks may bow a little when they are hammered.  Have fun.  I have made a bunch for the scouters in my area.