classes question

  • icookforcrowds
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 27, 2012
      A lot of you know my hubby and I do some big Dutch oven cooking for feeding our boys' high school band when they are away at marching festivals. Usually feed around 100 or so. It goes really well and we have a reputation of having the best fed band anywhere!
      So at one of the festivals a friend of another band parent who is a championship level bbq guy has smoked meat for us the 2 years. He is a good cook all by himself but would like to learn more how to cook in the Dutch ovens. Now what do I teach a guy who already knows how to cook? I'm thinking just giving the basics of how to adjust the heat and maybe the stacking methods (which he already say me doing). Any advice?
      Becky
    • Omar
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 27, 2012
        It can be a rough start do not assume hr can just just jump in. BBQ people do not follow recipes

      • icookforcrowds
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 28, 2012
          I don't follow recipes much either........ :-)
          Becky

        • BSAT80ASM@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 28, 2012
            Becky

            Ask him what his favorite oven dish is that he makes at home in his oven, then convert to a Dutch Oven.
            Anything you can make in an oven at home you can make in a Dutch Oven.

            Ken
            The Other Ken

            A lot of you know my hubby and I do some big Dutch oven cooking for feeding our boys' high school band when they are away at marching festivals. Usually feed around 100 or so. It goes really well and we have a reputation of having the best fed band anywhere!
            So at one of the festivals a friend of another band parent who is a championship level bbq guy has smoked meat for us the 2 years. He is a good cook all by himself but would like to learn more how to cook in the Dutch ovens. Now what do I teach a guy who already knows how to cook? I'm thinking just giving the basics of how to adjust the heat and maybe the stacking methods (which he already say me doing). Any advice?
            Becky

          • Carter Crump
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 31, 2012
              First, Have him join IDOS.  If he does not use DOs, you can make sure he knows the proper care of his cast iron.  Most important thing is manageing heat,time and wind.  You don't want to burn food if you can help it.  I also use trivettes or cooling wire racks in the bottems of my DOs to reduce the chance of burning food.   Do you know on what kind of surface he plans to cook on?   Hope this helps.

              Carter Crump
              Cast Iron Cooking Club
              Old Hickory Council
              5104 Ramillie Run