Re: Desserts?

  • Lynn H. Ogden
    Message 1 of 16 , May 4, 2012
      Mike in NY and Mary Ann in MN,

      Where are the recipes?

      LO

      Message 2 of 16 , May 4, 2012
        The Triple Chocolate Marshmallow cake recipe is in the files section also Lynn. Ronda

        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn H. Ogden" <lynnogden@...> wrote:

        > Mike in NY and Mary Ann in MN,
        >
        > Where are the recipes?
        >
        > LO

      • MaryAnn Frerichs
        Message 3 of 16 , May 4, 2012
          John wasn't home when I posted about it last night and he had the recipe (I've got to get it in my collection, but anyway, here it is.

          TRIPLE CHOCOLATE MARSHMALLOW CAKE

          > 1 -1/2 cup water
          > 1 -10-oz. bag miniature marshmallows
          > 1/4 cup cocoa powder
          > 2 chocolate cake mixes; prepared as directed
          > 1 cup light brown sugar
          > 2 Cadbury Caramello bars
          >
          > 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
          > 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
          > 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
          >
          > Line the bottom and sides of a 8 qt. Dutch oven with
          heavy aluminum foil. Spray the foil well with cooking spray on
          sides and bottom.

          > Mix the water, cocoa powder, and brown sugar together and pour
          into the Dutch oven. Add the bag of marshmallows, spreading them
          out evenly, then cover them with 1/2 of the prepared chocolate cake
          mix.

          > Add a layer of broken up Caramello bars, and then pour the
          remaining batter over the chocolate pieces. Sprinkle chocolate
          chips over the cake batter.

          > Cover oven and bake using 8-10 briquettes bottom and 14-16
          briquettes top for 60 minutes. This is approximately 360 F degrees
          if using gas or charcoal bbq to cook the cake.

          > Serve warm with whipped cream

          MaryAnn
          MN
          Message 4 of 16 , May 5, 2012
            Lynn wrote: Mike in NY and Mary Ann in MN, where are the recipes?

            BANANA BREAD PUDDING

            1 loaf of day old Italian or French bread – depending on the bread, when dry and cut up you want to fill a 12" deep Dutch Oven. So you may go more than a loaf.
            3 eggs, beaten
            1 cup sugar
            1 quart milk
            1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla
            4 large very ripe bananas, mashed
            1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg*
            2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided in half
            2 cup raisins
            2 tablespoons banana extract**
            Original recipe called for Rum.

            Put the milk on low heat (small Dutch Oven – I used my 5").
            Add the raisins.
            Add the banana extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract.
            Put the lid on and let it simmer on low for about 10 minutes. Allows the raisins to plump.
            In a bowl beat the eggs, add the sugar and beat well.
            Add the bananas and mash them into the egg/sugar mix.
            Add the milk, raisins and spices and mix well.
            Cube the bread.
            Grease the Dutch Oven well, especially the bottom. (failure to grease well will cause burning)
            Dump the bread in and then add the wet mix.
            Gently stir the mix making sure that the bananas and raisins are spread throughout.
            Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes until edges look golden and a toothpick comes out clean like testing a cake.
            (12 inch DO – 25 coals – 17 Top / 8 Bott
            Watch it. The bread will absorb all of the wet mix, so go light on the bottom coals so that you do not burn the bottom of the bread pudding.

            Serve hot or allow to cool right out of the DO.
            Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream

            Originally plagiarized from COOKS.COM
            Submitted by: CM
            Then by Randy Herbert
            Modified by Mike Warner

            * fresh grated nutmeg (yeah, it's worth using the nutmeg seed and grinding it on a microplane – made a great demo for the Girl Scouts as I passed around a half ground nutmeg seed for them to sniff)
            ** banana extract – pricey stuff but really worth it.
          • BSAT80ASM@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , May 5, 2012
              "What are some of your favorite desserts?"

              On a recent camp out I did not have my DO, Only my cast iron Frying pan.
              The boys wanted an apple cobbler since they found a #10 can of apple pie filling in the trailer.
              The troop DO were in use.
              I found a few packages of flour tortillas, some eggs and Cinnamon sugar.
              I dipped the tortillas in the egg and then the cinnamon sugar. I put it into an oiled CI pan.
              About 2 minutes and I flipped the tortilla. Added two table spoons of warm apple filling, wrapped
              and served. I made about 60 before running out of tortillas.

              Guess what the ADULTS want with their morning coffee at the next camp out.

              Ken
              The Other Ken

            • Mike
              Message 6 of 16 , May 9, 2012
                A hungry Biscuit wrote: "What are some of your favorite desserts?"

                I started out with K. Hunt's recipe and made a serious left turn somewhere. Sometimes it's the recipe. Sometimes it's what you have in the pantry right now. Made this tonight as Elaine was doing a scratch pea soup.

                CINNAMON PUMPKIN PIE COBBLER (started as a K. Hunt recipe)
                Mike Warner – Western New York Dutch Oven Society
                Serves 10-12

                1 (29oz) can Libby's 100% Pure Pumpkin
                1 box Krusteaz Cinnamon Crumb Cake Mix (a 2 package mix)
                1 Cup skim milk (divided)
                2 eggs whisked
                The limited edition, collectible, 10" deep Camp Chef Dutch oven commemorating the 25th Anniversary of IDOS. (Ok, I'm breaking it in)

                Bowl #1. Fold together the pumpkin and ½ Cup milk and pour into the DO.
                Bowl #2. Pour the bag of cinnamon* from the crumb cake mix into a bowl and set aside.
                Bowl #3. Combine the crumb cake mix with ½ Cup milk, and 2 whisked eggs. Mix well.
                Spread half the batter over the pumpkin mixture.
                Sprinkle half the cinnamon mix evenly over the batter.
                Layer on the other half of the batter.
                Sprinkle the other half of the cinnamon mix over the batter.
                Bake about 45-60 minutes with 13 coals bottom and 6 coals top (325 degrees for a slow bake). Bake until a toothpick inserted into the top cake layer comes out clean.

                Serve hot with whip cream or vanilla ice cream.

                • Note that the "cinnamon mix" that comes with Krusteaz's is a mix of lots of stuff other than cinnamon. See the box for info.
              • Steven
                Message 7 of 16 , May 10, 2012
                  this is strange/usually there are more coals on top than bottom!

                  --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mwarner51@...> wrote:

                  > A hungry Biscuit wrote: "What are some of your favorite desserts?"
                  >
                  > I started out with K. Hunt's recipe and made a serious left turn somewhere. Sometimes it's the recipe. Sometimes it's what you have in the pantry right now. Made this tonight as Elaine was doing a scratch pea soup.
                  >
                  > CINNAMON PUMPKIN PIE COBBLER (started as a K. Hunt recipe)
                  > Mike Warner – Western New York Dutch Oven Society
                  > Serves 10-12
                  >
                  > 1 (29oz) can Libby's 100% Pure Pumpkin
                  > 1 box Krusteaz Cinnamon Crumb Cake Mix (a 2 package mix)
                  > 1 Cup skim milk (divided)
                  > 2 eggs whisked
                  > The limited edition, collectible, 10" deep Camp Chef Dutch oven commemorating the 25th Anniversary of IDOS. (Ok, I'm breaking it in)
                  >
                  > Bowl #1. Fold together the pumpkin and ½ Cup milk and pour into the DO.
                  > Bowl #2. Pour the bag of cinnamon* from the crumb cake mix into a bowl and set aside.
                  > Bowl #3. Combine the crumb cake mix with ½ Cup milk, and 2 whisked eggs. Mix well.
                  > Spread half the batter over the pumpkin mixture.
                  > Sprinkle half the cinnamon mix evenly over the batter.
                  > Layer on the other half of the batter.
                  > Sprinkle the other half of the cinnamon mix over the batter.
                  > Bake about 45-60 minutes with 13 coals bottom and 6 coals top (325 degrees for a slow bake). Bake until a toothpick inserted into the top cake layer comes out clean.
                  >
                  > Serve hot with whip cream or vanilla ice cream.
                  >
                  > • Note that the "cinnamon mix" that comes with Krusteaz's is a mix of lots of stuff other than cinnamon. See the box for info.

                • Dee
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 10, 2012
                    good morning,
                    One of our favs is the Cherry Angel cake.
                    1 can of cherry pie filling (any flavor pie filling)
                    1 box angel food cake mix
                    Stir the dry cake mix powder into the pie filling until
                    batter. This takes alot of stirring!
                    Bake until done..........bon apetit'
                    dee in WV
                    ks8dee

                    > Group photo is a popular dessert made in a Camp Dutch Oven.
                    >
                    > The Pineapple Upside Down Cake
                    >
                    > What are some of your favorite desserts?

                  • Barbara
                    Message 9 of 16 , May 10, 2012
                      Here is a favorite dessert of mine. I developed the recipe for the So Cal Chapter's second cookbook. AND I just recently noticed in the IDOS Newsletter that last yr's Jr World Champion used this recipe for their dessert dish! (would be nice if the winner and newsletter had given credit to our chapter cookbook, which is where they would have gotten the recipe). I just made this in my kitchen oven a few days ago for a cooking club and it is still a hit.

                      Barbara Anderson

                      Mandarin Cheesecake Bread Pudding
                      10" Dutch oven - 350 degrees (14 top/7 bottom)

                      15 oz can mandarin orange segments, drained, juice reserved
                      4 cups dried french bread cubes (6-7 slices)
                      8 oz pkg cream cheese, room temp
                      2 eggs, slightly beaten
                      1 cup reserved mandarin orange juice
                      1 cup half 'n half
                      1/4 cup butter, melted
                      1/2 cup sugar
                      1 tsp ground nutmeg
                      1 tsp vanilla

                      Mandarin Orange Sauce

                      15 oz can mandarin orange segments
                      1 cup sugar
                      2 Tbls cornstarch
                      1/4 cup butter
                      2 tsp vanilla

                      *use real butter for best flavor

                      Drain oranges, reserving juice for use. In large bowl, combine oranges with bread cubes. In another bowl, soften cream cheese by stirring well; add eggs and beat until combined. Slowly add orange juice and half 'n half, mixing well after each addition. (If juice does not equal 1 cup, add half 'n half to make up the difference) Add melted butter, sugar, nutmeg, and vanilla and mix well. Pour over bread cubes and gently combine. Pour into greased 10" Dutch oven and cook at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes. Watch at end of cooking time so it does not burn. Dessert is done when set. Remove coals and lid and allow to cool.

                      Mandarin Orange Sauce; In blender, blend orange segments and juice until liquefied. Pour into saucepan and bring to a boil. In another saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Slowly stir in boiling orange liquid and bring back to boil. Reduce heat and boil gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla. Allow to cool, then pour over bread pudding.

                      This dessert tastes best when allowed to cool completely before eating.
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 10, 2012
                        You're correct. I'm guessing he inadvertently wrote it down backwards. Ronda

                        Message 11 of 16 , May 11, 2012
                          You should write in and take credit for it! I always give credit to whoever gave me the original recipe, even if I've changed the recipe quite a bit. I've noticed some of my recipes in the files section of this group that have been posted by other people, and no credit given to me. Ronda

                          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara" <goldennarri@...> wrote:

                          > Here is a favorite dessert of mine. I developed the recipe for the So Cal Chapter's second cookbook. AND I just recently noticed in the IDOS Newsletter that last yr's Jr World Champion used this recipe for their dessert dish! (would be nice if the winner and newsletter had given credit to our chapter cookbook, which is where they would have gotten the recipe). I just made this in my kitchen oven a few days ago for a cooking club and it is still a hit.
                          >
                          > Barbara Anderson
                          >

                          > Mandarin Cheesecake Bread Pudding
                          > 10" Dutch oven - 350 degrees (14 top/7 bottom)
                          >
                          > 15 oz can mandarin orange segments, drained, juice reserved
                          > 4 cups dried french bread cubes (6-7 slices)
                          > 8 oz pkg cream cheese, room temp
                          > 2 eggs, slightly beaten
                          > 1 cup reserved mandarin orange juice
                          > 1 cup half 'n half
                          > 1/4 cup butter, melted
                          > 1/2 cup sugar
                          > 1 tsp ground nutmeg
                          > 1 tsp vanilla
                          >
                          > Mandarin Orange Sauce
                          >
                          > 15 oz can mandarin orange segments
                          > 1 cup sugar
                          > 2 Tbls cornstarch
                          > 1/4 cup butter
                          > 2 tsp vanilla
                          >
                          > *use real butter for best flavor
                          >
                          > Drain oranges, reserving juice for use. In large bowl, combine oranges with bread cubes. In another bowl, soften cream cheese by stirring well; add eggs and beat until combined. Slowly add orange juice and half 'n half, mixing well after each addition. (If juice does not equal 1 cup, add half 'n half to make up the difference) Add melted butter, sugar, nutmeg, and vanilla and mix well. Pour over bread cubes and gently combine. Pour into greased 10" Dutch oven and cook at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes. Watch at end of cooking time so it does not burn. Dessert is done when set. Remove coals and lid and allow to cool.
                          >
                          > Mandarin Orange Sauce; In blender, blend orange segments and juice until liquefied. Pour into saucepan and bring to a boil. In another saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Slowly stir in boiling orange liquid and bring back to boil. Reduce heat and boil gently for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla. Allow to cool, then pour over bread pudding.
                          >
                          > This dessert tastes best when allowed to cool completely before eating.

                        • Bob Zukowski
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 14, 2012
                            This one has great potential but fell way short. The complete pumpkin was its downfall. I am going to try again put use Libby's pumpkin pie mix as directed. Definitely needs some heat on the bottom to cook the pumpkin. The Krusteaz topping was excellent.