12 years and counting

    Message 1 of 21 , Dec 28, 2011
      Happy Birthday or Anniversary to The yahoo dutchovencookinggroup.Next month we will start our 13th year.

      Post some memory you have from this group. A story etc.....

      Biscuit
    • Lori
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 28, 2011
        I love this group!! So many funny stories, good recipes, excellent tips and thrifty bargain hunters!! I got my best DO deals from links posted from this site!   Looking forward to learning more this year!!

        Lori aka Arhillbillychick
        AR

      • B B Palmer
        Message 3 of 21 , Dec 28, 2011
          Congratulations & Happy Birthday!

          Happy Birthday or Anniversary to The yahoo dutchovencookinggroup.Next month we will start our 13th year.

          Post some memory you have from this group. A story etc.....

        • Jean
          Message 4 of 21 , Dec 28, 2011
            Wow, that's hard to believe that we've been doing this group that long. Man how we have grown together.

            Jean
          • ken hammond
            Message 5 of 21 , Dec 28, 2011
              Have been a member of this group for only a few of the 12 years and have thoroughly enjoyed every day's postings. Also picked up a couple of new tricks in DO cooking.
              ken hammond
              2878 bailey road
              sun prairie, wi 53590
              608-837-9778
              kensr_34@...
              kenhammond@...
              kenhammond1@...

              ________________________________
              Happy Birthday or Anniversary to The yahoo dutchovencookinggroup.Next month we will start our 13th year.

              Post some memory you have from this group. A story etc.....

            • icookforcrowds
              Message 6 of 21 , Dec 29, 2011
                I have had a blast just getting to know other DO cooks through this group and then getting to meet them at the few dogs I've been able to travel to! I love this little hobby of mine and it is SO fun to get to know other folks who are as crazy about it (and just plain crazy) as I am!
                Becky
                Still cooking in MO!

                > Happy Birthday or Anniversary to The yahoo dutchovencookinggroup.Next month we will start our 13th year.
                >
                > Post some memory you have from this group. A story etc.....
                >
                > Biscuit

              • Gordon
                Message 7 of 21 , Dec 29, 2011
                  This being my first year with the club ... Happy Birthday .. and many more .. the club is great and i enjoy reading the posts and seeing whats being cooked around the country.
                  Gordon

                  Message 8 of 21 , Dec 29, 2011
                    Most of what I know about Dutch oven cooking came from the folks on this group. Best thing this group ever did was organize that first National Dutch Oven Gathering in Madisonville Texas in 2004. And Doug & I were there! Awesome experience!! The others we have been to have been great, but nothing will EVER compare to that first one for us. We didn't know anybody, except by the posting I'd done on this group. Made some of the best friends we'll ever know that weekend! And got the best memories. Ronda

                  • tpstauffer@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 21 , Dec 29, 2011
                      What you just said is the best synopsis I have seen about this group! The proof is to go into the files section, DL recipes, ask the group a question.. etc. First NDOG I attended was this July in Wooster.... had a great time (beware of judges who change the rules at the last second....)
                      Tom

                      Message 10 of 21 , Dec 29, 2011
                        Nameless ? So now I'm nameless ?  ROFL !!In case you missed this mornings chuckwagon segment we did on Channel 3, check it out here. Our section starts about the 2:48 mark in the video:

                        http://www.azfamily.com/good-morning-arizona/Arizona-National-Livestock-Show-this-weekend-136389493.html

                        Mark "Dutch" Wilkins

                        Message 11 of 21 , Dec 29, 2011
                          I recently made a Mississippi Swamp Cake. This is the third time I've
                          made it. The first time I used charcoal lit in a chimney and had no
                          problems. The second time I used a gas grill and had no problems.
                          This time, I used charcoal, but no chimney was available, so I made a
                          pile and lit it using lighter fluid. Big mistake! The coals on the
                          outside of the pile never got going enough, so I had problems getting
                          the oven hot enough. I ended up using a gas grill to finish. Next
                          time I find myself using charcoal in a pile, I'll double the number of
                          coals and take only the hottest ones from the center of the pile.

                          I also thought (the first two times) that it would be good to add
                          chocolate chips to the recipe, so this time I tried it. Two things
                          happened--one, the chocolate melted, and two, it made the cake too
                          sweet. Next time I'll stick to the recipe!

                          Great stuff, and fun.

                          Greg
                          Message 12 of 21 , Dec 30, 2011
                            Greg,
                            I think the best way to start your coals is in a chimney and using a gas stove to get the going quick.I use my Camp Chef Stove or a small Coleman stove. Just what ever you have on hand. I have seen folks use the single burner and make a bracket for it to hang off the side of their cooking table.

                            Recipes are just a starting point. You change them up to your taste.

                            Glad you enjoy OUR Group.
                            Happy Cooking!
                            Biscuit

                            Message 13 of 21 , Dec 30, 2011
                              There are a few things I would like to share about my cooking experiences on this group.

                              1. All the friendships I have made on the group. Some have passed on and will be stilled in my memory.
                              Tapscrew was a new friend I met here early on. We made friends over a great deal/close out on a Volcano Stove he posted about. They were only $25 buck and only had two of them . He bought one and posted about it. I called him up. He went back and bought the other one for me and shipped it to me. Without any advance payment.That SALE started a lasting friendship.

                              2. One year there was a Gal named Brenda Wildish. She was part of a group in Southern California. They were having Beach DOGs in January. After seeing all the post about this DOG, I wanted to attend one. This old Southern Boy had not been to California, but once in his life time. This was trip number two.

                              I flew out there for a fast 4 day weekend. She helped me with a camp site and camping gear. Cooking gear and picking me up at the air port. I had the best time of my life. All though I had trouble with the time change. I was always on Mississippi Time. Early to bed and up by 3 their time.

                              Thanks for a lasting Memory Brenda! (((((BISCUIT HUGS))))))

                              3. This would be watching the growth of The National Dutch Oven Gatherings. There has never been two alike. They are all a bit different in their own way. As to what part of the country we are in.

                              I have enjoyed planning my vacations around this event and traveling around the country. Meeting new friends and cooking with other. I enjoy setting up next to someone I did not know and cook beside them. Learning tips and sharing stories.

                              In 2007 meeting a group that cooked around a very LARGE Tee pee.I learned some baking tips that year. Lot's of ((((Biscuit Hugs)))) that year too.

                              4. Would be seeing this GROUP grow through the years. I had a vision of having a place where Dutch Oven Cooks could get advice , sharing recipes and cooking adventures.Without you we would not be here. It is OUR GROUP. Thanks for sharing.

                              Biscuit Thoughts
                              Message 14 of 21 , Dec 30, 2011
                                Greg,
                                That dessert has to be my #1 recipe I give to people when I can bring up the subject. Im waiting for the day I show up at a covered dish and someone else brought one too! LOL!

                                When I tell them my friend Biscuit from Mississippi came up with the recipe I get looks.

                                I wonder if the know Biscuit??? Here is my Louisiana twist on MSC. It wont be long and strawberries will be in season!

                                Louisiana Swamp Cake
                                2 can Strawberry Pie Filling, 1 Box Funfetti Cake Mix, 1 12oz can sprite/7up, 8 ounces pecans, 8 ounces coconut dyed red.
                                Randy Bear

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Dec 31, 2011
                                    Howdy Biscuit

                                    Yep!

                                    I remember when you started the group, my first post here was number 20.

                                    met some fine folks in here over the years.

                                    Congrats, Biscuit, and good cooking!

                                    Regards

                                    Cap

                                    > Happy Birthday or Anniversary to The yahoo dutchovencookinggroup.Next month we will start our 13th year.
                                    >
                                    > Post some memory you have from this group. A story etc.....
                                    >
                                    > Biscuit

                                  • Steven Stuckey
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Dec 31, 2011
                                      Thanks for the informative group. I have learned a lot and try to listen and learn. Hopefully there will be another 12 years.

                                      Steven Stuckey - N9WNN - Indiana

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Dec 31, 2011
                                        Hey Cap!
                                        Thanks for the kind words. You have been a real asset to our group.

                                        Biscuit

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jan 2, 2012
                                          Now, if we could only get R(h)onda to only post when she is sober........................ ROFL !!! Hi there skinny chick !! Hope you had a great & safe New Years !! It was 81 degrees here yesterday !!

                                          Mark "the somebody who ticked off Ronda" Wilkins
                                          Wittmann, ARIZONA !

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jan 2, 2012
                                            I mighta felt better if I hadn't been sober - was sick most of last week. Made for a quiet new year's eve!
                                            High of 50 degrees yesterday, 24 degrees when I got up this morning. No snow yet, so I can live with it. Ronda

                                          • barb7513@yahoo.com
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jan 2, 2012
                                              45 degrees here now

                                              Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile