Re: [dutchovencooking] Re: Staying warm for winter cooking.....

  • Dennis Gabler
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 9, 2011
      On 12/9/2011 7:51 AM, Brent Bolton wrote:
      > My understanding is that carbon monoxide is heavier than ambient air. Would it work to leave venting open at the bottom to allow the CO to escape while retaining the heat in the upper area of the enclosure? Just a dumb thought..........

      This is true. Cold air coming in from the top sinks and diffuses it.
      Been doing it for 20 yrs with no ill effects YMMV.

      I personally would be more concerned with heat from the cooking table
      damaging the roof than with CO though.

      Regards,
      Dennis

      --
      Dennis Gabler AAR7DG/AAM7EIA/W5DG
      Adel, IA.
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 9, 2011
        I have a easy up and 2 panels for the sides. I could buy 2 more and totaly enclose it.  I think that would be less expensive than buying  a ice fishing tent.  But if thats what you have by all means use it.

        ________________________________
        On 12/9/2011 7:51 AM, Brent Bolton wrote:
        > My understanding is that carbon monoxide is heavier than ambient air. Would it work to leave venting open at the bottom to allow the CO to escape while retaining the heat in the upper area of the enclosure? Just a dumb thought..........

        This is true. Cold air coming in from the top sinks and diffuses it.
        Been doing it for 20 yrs with no ill effects YMMV.

        I personally would be more concerned with heat from the cooking table
        damaging the roof than with CO though.

        Regards,
        Dennis

        --
        Dennis Gabler AAR7DG/AAM7EIA/W5DG
        Adel, IA.
        Iowa Army MARS Emergency Communications Officer
        Commissioner, Iowa Commission on Volunteer Service

      • Brent Bolton
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 9, 2011
          I agree there....I noticed that the ice fishing tents are insulated and that sounded really good for cooking in sub-freezing temps.....lol.
          To: dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com
          From: wally.dennis@...
          Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 06:31:16 -0800

          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 9, 2011
            Thanks for this info. My feeling is I wouldn't try cooking with fire/charcoal in an enclosure and tempt fate. Just isn't worth the risk is my gut feeling.

            Mark "Dutch" Wilkins
            Wittmann, AZ

            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 9, 2011
              My feelings you should never cook inside a tent with charcol the CO is going to get at some point. If its that cold out and you need heat in a tent to keep warm ... stay home where it is warm.
              Gordon