Seasing DO

  • elder
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 29, 2011
      I have seasoned many Do using a gas grill. But can you use a Nice campfire. If so would you use a tripod on the fire and how do keep it upside down. Or would it be better to use a Kettle style charcoal grill. I need to season 2 10" 4 12" Thanks in advance

      Mike M
      Owensboro,KY
    • beeman
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 29, 2011
        That's a lot of DO's to season at once. I think you could maybe get one or two cycles on all of them over a weekend with a grill. Also you could try doing some deep frying in a couple. Also, you could cook a bunch of bacon in a couple of them. BLT sandwiches,or bacon sprinkles in salad come to mind.

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 29, 2011
          Just use the kitchen oven! When I got the new kitchen oven a couple years ago, first thing I did was re-season the 16". I don't see the problem with seasoning in the house. Especially if it's decent weather, and you have an attic fan. And even if you don't. You don't like the smell? Get out of the kitchen or get a candle. Gee whiz folks. Ronda

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 30, 2011
            The late Jim Lewis did a demo on how to season outside.

            Use a lid stand and put your lid on it upside down. Set your pot on
            the lid. Set a bed of coals around the lid. he use metal flashing to put around pot. Then he use a trash can lid and sat on top.

            He may have had all this sitting on some center blocks too? To keep coals from going out.Let some air from bottom.

            I hope this helps. If I can find a photo I will post it.

            Note: Some are beginners on here and are not a well seasoned cook as some. It is always good to get tips from others. We all do it a different way. But the end results are the same.

            There are many roads to ROME, and you can take anyone and get there.

            Biscuit