Re: [DUTCH OVEN COOKING] 5" Thoughts

  • DEBRA MASON
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 7, 2003
      John,
      I feel kind of like 1 of those clever people that you hear about all
      the time. That bought something real cheap right before it became
      real valuable. Maybe it is my wounded sense of justice....but I am
      enjoying the mad scramble......I know it is shallow & juvenile.....but!
      deb

      At 05:24 AM 3/7/03, you wrote:
      >Hi All: As I was just scanning e-bay and I came across another 5"
      >Lodge going into the upper price orbit. This is likley to get out of
      >hand real fast! Well this is what I am thinking, there are currently
      >847 members on this group. If everyone of us called or wrote to Lodge
      >asking them to bring back the 5" oven they would have to seriously
      >think about it. I doubt they would ignore the message. And in fact I
      >am certian some of the people on this group have DO friends who are
      >not in this group who could also contact Lodge Imagine 900 or more
      >people writing or calling in about the 5" DO. Let's stop the madness
      >going on on e-bay... do you really want to have to pay $61+ dollars
      >next time you decide you really need a 5" DO.
      >So please take a few minutes and call Write of fax Lodge today.
      >I will get off my soap box now, and go cook up some nice DO Chilli!!
      >
      >If anyone has an E-mail adress for lodge please let us know.
      >
      >Lodge Manufacturing Company
      >PO Box 380
      >South Pittsburg, TN 37580
      >Phone (423)837-7181
      >Fax(423)837-8279

      --------------------------------------
      Debra Mason
      Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
      MS L-570 7000 East Avenue PO Box 808
      TRLR 5975 ROOM 500D
      Livermore CA 94550
      (925) 423-9568 / (925) 424-6085 fax
      mason2@...
    • Jeff Currier
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 7, 2003
        What i would like them to start produceing in the States, is the 10" deep oven that Lodge has been selling in Japan for about 2 years. It is made in the US and shipped to Japan. You would think they would sell some here in the US. JeffC
        John Duprey <J-M-Duprey@...> wrote:Hi All: As I was just scanning e-bay and I came across another 5"
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • John Foster
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 7, 2003
          I've thought that too, because I don't have one, but what would you do
          in them? I have two ten-inch ovens and I about never use them because I
          mostly cook for groups and they are just too small to be useful. I have
          an 1800's bean pot about that size I like to use on my CampChef stove,
          and maybe that serves the same purpose of a 10" deep. I wonder why the
          10 deep suits the Japanese market??

          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Currier <altapig2@y...>
          wrote:

          > What i would like them to start produceing in the States, is the 10" deep oven that Lodge has been selling in Japan for about 2 years. It is made in the US and shipped to Japan. You would think they would sell some here in the US. JeffC
        • Tom T.
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 7, 2003
            Lodge already makes them here in the US so all they have to do is up production and get a box labeled in english.
            Tom

            wrote:

            > What i would like them to start produceing in the States, is the 10" deep oven that Lodge has been selling in Japan for about 2 years. It is made in the US and shipped to Japan. You would think they would sell some here in the US. JeffC

            Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

          • Tom T.
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 7, 2003
              Deb if you are wrong for feeling that way then I am wrong too! One of th efew times in my life I was on time for a bargain. Jus twished I'd have bought a couple more of them little 5's!
              Tom
              DEBRA MASON <mason2@...> wrote:John,

              --------------------------------------

              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 8, 2003
                the Japanesse cooks use a small cook stove that uses kerosane (I think) for fuel. The ten inch fits well on that stove. Also the types of food they prepare is different then ours. you can go out on JDOS web page to see some pic's. But, it is hard to move around on, because the site is in Japanesse. Good Luck, JeffC

                wrote:

                > What i would like them to start produceing in the States, is the 10" deep oven that Lodge has been selling in Japan for about 2 years. It is made in the US and shipped to Japan. You would think they would sell some here in the US. JeffC

                Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

              • pumpdr1
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 8, 2003
                  The 5" is not a group pot, but don't put them down if you haven't
                  tried pot pies in them. I have two 5" that we use a lot just for the
                  two of us. I carry one out on my service rig for hot gumbo or stew
                  on a cold day.

                  I also have two 10" Lodges I like a lot also. I cook pork loin roast
                  and biscuits in them at our RV sites. It will handle biscuits for 4
                  easy without waste. They stack great on a 12". They work well with
                  the Volcano Jr. A lot of us don't cook for crowds, but cook to relax
                  and enjoy it. We use the 8" and 10" DO's at Thanksgiving for
                  potatoes and smaller side dishes. The 10" is also a good bean DO, or
                  a 1 1/2 lb. chili pot. Just right for sourdough coffeecake too.

                  I would like to have a Lodge 10" deep also. It would be a good size
                  for the Volcano Jr. stove.

                  I am going to buy another 8" if I can find a Lodge locally. The 10"
                  is easier to find. No use driving tacks with a 6 lb. hammer. I have
                  found a need and use for all the sizes through 16". I have the
                  big "hammer" if I need it.

                  AllenJ. --- Pump Doc

                  --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "John Foster" <jfoster@d...>
                  wrote:

                  > I've thought that too, because I don't have one, but what would you
                  do
                  > in them? I have two ten-inch ovens and I about never use them
                  because I
                  > mostly cook for groups and they are just too small to be useful. I
                  have
                  > an 1800's bean pot about that size I like to use on my CampChef
                  stove,
                  > and maybe that serves the same purpose of a 10" deep. I wonder why
                  the
                  > 10 deep suits the Japanese market??
                  >

                  > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Currier
                  <altapig2@y...>
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > What i would like them to start produceing in the States, is the
                  10" deep oven that Lodge has been selling in Japan for about 2 years.
                  It is made in the US and shipped to Japan. You would think they would
                  sell some here in the US. JeffC
                • Brian Nielson
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 9, 2003
                    I’ve not had my 5” for very long, but I’ve found it has good uses. Of
                    course all the smaller ovens are nice for reduced quantities, esp,
                    vegetables, smaller desserts, etc. A ten full of veggies used to be perfect
                    for the scout troop and leaders. It is just the right size for gravy to go
                    with a 14 full of biscuits.

                    I’ve found the 5” holds about 2 cans of stuff, so it is nice for warming
                    canned veggies for just my family, or steaming some broccoli for my picky
                    eater. I’ve also used it to make a quick gravy to go with a chicken recipe.
                    Most important; I’ve never once had a woman see it for the first time
                    without commenting on how ‘cute’ it is, and somehow it leads to some more
                    fondness for the black pots of all sizes.

                    I also have a cast iron spoon rest, made by lodge, commemorating the SLC
                    olympics. Not a lot of use for it, but it is hanging in the gear box, a
                    nice display item.

                    Brian

                    Message 9 of 11 , Mar 9, 2003
                      Hey PumpDoc......you needs one of them giant MACA 17" pots! You could cook for half the county with one of them!
                      T-bone sed dat
                      pumpdr1 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:The 5" is not a group pot, but don't put them down if you haven't

                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 9, 2003
                        Hey T Bone,
                        The Lodge 16 is big enough for me, and as heavy as I want to lug
                        around.

                        Pump Doc

                        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Tom T."