Re: [DUTCH OVEN COOKING] D O competition cook off question

  • Jeff Currier
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2003
      You stated in your comments. "I have a killer desert recipe that I might try. Problem is that you have to chill the glaze prior to pouring on cake." Well here is my 2 cents worth. I have cooked in cookoffs since about 1990 or so. Including 2nd place at the World Championships. Along with a 9th, 7th, 4th & 3rd place there also. The 2 things I would like to tell you is to get a copy of the rules from IDOS at IDOS.com. You will have to e-mail them. Also I cooked a cheese cake as dessert as part of my meal. Back when people told you "You can't cook cheese cake in a Dutch Oven." I used an aluminum dutch oven to cook the cheese cake in, because I would place it in a Dry Ice bath right off the coals. You can't do that with Cast Iron, but you can with Aluminum. So make the your glaze in the aluminum D.O. Then place it in a Ice & Dry Ice bath to cool it. No Problem. But I will tell you tghat if you prepare anything prior to the cook-off, by IDOS rules. You will be disqualified. Hopfully this idea will help you. Good Luck & Good Cookin. JeffC
      DEBRA MASON <mason2@...> wrote:D O Joe,
      I have been competing in dutch oven cookoffs for a couple of years
      now. & what I have learned is that they are typically very casual &
      unorganized. Your question is 1 of the classic problems that I have
      noticed in all of my cooking adventures.
      Most often I have found that if you possibly can, contact them
      & talk to whoever you can about it ahead of time. Get permission.
      Make sure you document who you spoke to about it (they will
      usually tell you it is ok). So, when you get there & somebody
      says something about it you have a "cover you butt" argument.
      That has always worked for me. I have come up with a "last
      ditch" solution also. Often times there is 1 person involved
      that is "anal" about the vague rules. In that case you can
      let them know that you don't appreciate them "changing
      the rules" at the 11th hour & that you are not going to be
      able to compete (they are usually short on dutch oven cooks).
      & gently imply that you will take your cast iron & go home.
      I have never actually had to use this tactic but I would if it
      came down to it.
      There is another solution in this specific case. & that is
      cast iron is an excellent conductor of temp. That is what
      we like about them. We often times don't remember this
      but heat & cold a variables on the same thermometer.
      You can turn your dutch oven into a refrigerator just as
      easily as you can turn it into an oven. I would consider
      cooking the glaze 1st. & chilling it quickly in ice.
      Just my 2 cents worth. & good luck! I would like to hear
      how it goes.
      deb

      At 06:28 PM 2/27/03, you wrote:
      >Howdy gang! After 10 years of DO activity, I have finally decided to
      >enter a local cook off this May. I have a killer desert recipe that
      >I might try. Problem is that you have to chill the glaze prior to
      >pouring on cake. Is there a way that you can do this and not be in
      >any rule violation? I guess I need to know if it can be prepared and
      >chilled prior to the competition, or does ALL cooking and prep have
      >to take place on site? Thanks in advance!
      >
      >D O Joe

      --------------------------------------
      Debra Mason
      Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
      MS L-570 7000 East Avenue PO Box 808
      TRLR 5975 ROOM 500D
      Livermore CA 94550
      (925) 423-9568 / (925) 424-6085 fax
      mason2@...

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2003
        Thanks to all of you for the great tips and advice. I will keep you
        posted!

        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Currier <altapig2@y...>

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        > Debra Mason