Another good reason to be in this group!

  • Tom X
    Message 1 of 25 , May 31 9:24 PM
      I have ALWAYS used bacon to season my DOs and skillets... this seems to be worth a shot..

      From: barb7513@...
      Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 20:46:30 -0700

      If the food does not make contact with the surface of the oven, it has no chance
      to carbonize on the oven. Try cooking biscuits in a liner pan in an oven for a
      morning. It will burn out your patina and you have to reaseason. We do it every
      December at the Cowboy Poetry Gathering in Wickenburg where we use 5 ovens and
      liner pans to crank out 600+ biscuits in about an hour and a half of serving
      biscuits & gravy.

      Mark

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 1, 2011
        Hey Tom........gotta tell ya.......after 30 plus years of cooking, it was an eye opener for me. Once you really understand the "science" behind these articles, it all makes a lot of sense. No more sticky ovens ! LOL

        Brent

        To: dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com
        From: dome526@...
        Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 21:24:28 -0700
        Subject: [dutchovencooking] Another good reason to be in this group!

        I have ALWAYS used bacon to season my DOs and skillets... this seems to be worth a shot..

        Did I read that right?......"foil works against seasoning?" How so?

        > To: dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com
        > From: barb7513@...
        > Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 03:21:01 +0000
        > Subject: Re: [dutchovencooking] Re: First - Mark she used the F word!!
        >
        > I understand the concept of a foil dinner, but wouldn't do one in the dutch
        >oven. It works against your seasoning \ patina. Why not just put the ingredients
        >directly in the oven ?
        >

        > Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

      • JULIE JORDAN
        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 1, 2011
          We LOVE Mark's Triple Chocolate Cake.  We even made it "Quadruple" by using choc. milk in it instead of white milk.  This cake does not need frosting since it SO rich, just as it is.  YUMMY!  Julie from San Berdoo