Re: [dutchovencooking] Re: My First POT

  • Greg Jacobs
    Message 1 of 29 , Apr 1, 2011
      Hi Ken,
      I saw a design that would do for me, but I'll have to "tweak" the inside a bit!
      The shed should be done by July.
      Oh the fun of castironitis!!!
      Greg

      Message 2 of 29 , Apr 1, 2011
        I do the same thing here. I can't wait for the sales to start!

        Message 3 of 29 , Apr 1, 2011
          Like John, I burnt the scalloped potatoes to a crisp in my first no name Dutch Oven which I bought in 1979. It was all we could do to chip the charcoal out of that DO and I knew nothing about seasoning or heat control. Much water under the bridge later and I now have Lodge, Camp Chef, and MACA DOs. a 6", 8", 10", 10"deep,three 12", a 12"deep, a 13" (MACA and REAL DEEP),two 14", a 14" deep, and two 16".I also have an ultimate DO, an ultimate Turkey Roaster,four skillets, and five different table set-ups...It is ridiculous. The worst is having to buy the 600 pounds of charcoal that goes on sale before the 4th of July!

          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, John Frerichs <owl_c2598@...> wrote:

          > My first oven was a Lodge 12.  I bought it after watching a demo at a Boy Scout leader training in 1993.  First thing I ever made in it I burned to a crsip but we ate what we could out of the middle and I've been hooked ever since.  That first oven is still my favorite go to pot.
          >

          > John

        • sami dahdal
          Message 4 of 29 , Apr 1, 2011
            I bought the buy one get one free before its a good buy and I am waiting to
            buy again next sale because I am out of stock but be careful to check the
            bags weight Home depot has more pounds each bag than Lowes with the same
            price .
            Sami

            On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 2:38 PM, rlb_51 <rlb_51@...> wrote:

            > I've not bought in bulk before. When Lowes & Home Depot have the buy one
            > get one free sales, it's sometimes the 2- 20 pound bags shrink wrapped
            > together. I think last time it was a limit of 2. So you buy 2 shrink wrapped
            > packs, which is 80 lbs., and you get 80 lbs. free. I go through one line,
            > Doug goes through a different line and the daughter or whoever goes to a
            > different checker. Bingo, 480 pounds. lol!! Ronda
            >
            > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Dwayne Lejeune <poplejeune@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > 400 pounds WOW, lol I notice you hit sales, but is their a such thing
            > as� buying in stock?
            > >

            > > Dwayne ~n~ Stephanie
            > > "Waiting on New Truck"
            > > 2007 Flagstaff 831 BHSS
            > > " Waiting On Someday"

          • beeman
            Message 5 of 29 , Apr 1, 2011
              I know we have gotten far off the first pot topic but I just want to say that that pile of charcoal and the Dutchovens are great survival / emergency cooking tools. Look at the disaster in Japan and appreciate that with some areas that aren't irradiated but still remote and with electricity down, it's nice to have an oven like we have to rely on. Or electricity goes down in the winter storm, we cook in our fireplaces with the DO.
              Now back to the topic line. I don't know what happened to my original DO from back in thelate 70's. I think cousin Betsy and her husband took it.

              --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, sami dahdal <samsironworks@...> wrote:

              > I bought the buy one get one free before its a good buy and I am waiting to
              > buy again next sale because I am out of stock but be careful to check the
              > bags weight Home depot has more pounds each bag than Lowes with the same
              > price .
              > Sami
              >
              > On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 2:38 PM, rlb_51 <rlb_51@...> wrote:
              >

              > > I've not bought in bulk before. When Lowes & Home Depot have the buy one
              > > get one free sales, it's sometimes the 2- 20 pound bags shrink wrapped
              > > together. I think last time it was a limit of 2. So you buy 2 shrink wrapped
              > > packs, which is 80 lbs., and you get 80 lbs. free. I go through one line,
              > > Doug goes through a different line and the daughter or whoever goes to a
              > > different checker. Bingo, 480 pounds. lol!! Ronda
              > >
              > > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Dwayne Lejeune <poplejeune@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > 400 pounds WOW, lol I notice you hit sales, but is their a such thing
              > > as buying in stock?
              > > >

              > > > Dwayne ~n~ Stephanie
              > > > "Waiting on New Truck"
              > > > 2007 Flagstaff 831 BHSS
              > > > " Waiting On Someday"

            • John Frerichs
              Message 6 of 29 , Apr 1, 2011
                I know what you mean....I'm up to 27 pots now and had to buy a tralier to carry my cooking stuff.  Then found out that my van would not pull the trailer so had to buy a Tahoe to pull the trailer.  LOL  My banker sure likes me!

                John

                Like John, I burnt the scalloped potatoes to a crisp in my first no name Dutch Oven which I bought in 1979. It was all we could do to chip the charcoal out of that DO and I knew nothing about seasoning or heat control. Much water under the bridge later and I now have Lodge, Camp Chef, and MACA DOs. a 6", 8", 10", 10"deep,three 12", a 12"deep, a 13" (MACA and REAL DEEP),two 14", a 14" deep, and two 16".I also have an ultimate DO, an ultimate Turkey Roaster,four skillets, and five different table set-ups...It is ridiculous. The worst is having to buy the 600 pounds of charcoal that goes on sale before the 4th of July!

                --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, John Frerichs <owl_c2598@...> wrote:

                > My first oven was a Lodge 12.  I bought it after watching a demo at a Boy Scout leader training in 1993.  First thing I ever made in it I burned to a crsip but we ate what we could out of the middle and I've been hooked ever since.  That first oven is still my favorite go to pot.
                >

                > John

              • Larry Crockett
                Message 7 of 29 , Apr 1, 2011
                  Yes, I also burned an apple crisp in my first dutch oven. Scraped it out,
                  burned it out in a household oven cleaning cycle, and learned how to season.
                  Been good ever since.

                  Message 8 of 29 , Apr 1, 2011
                    I have never burnt anything. But when I first started cooking in the DO, I often had stuff not get done until way later than it shoulda been. One night, maybe my 3rd cooking deal, we didn't eat until almost 11:00 p.m. That was Johnson's DO Sirloin Tips. They were mighty good. Ronda

                    --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "beeman" <amendment2@...> wrote:

                    > Like John, I burnt the scalloped potatoes to a crisp in my first no name Dutch Oven which I bought in 1979. It was all we could do to chip the charcoal out of that DO and I knew nothing about seasoning or heat control. Much water under the bridge later and I now have Lodge, Camp Chef, and MACA DOs. a 6", 8", 10", 10"deep,three 12", a 12"deep, a 13" (MACA and REAL DEEP),two 14", a 14" deep, and two 16".I also have an ultimate DO, an ultimate Turkey Roaster,four skillets, and five different table set-ups...It is ridiculous. The worst is having to buy the 600 pounds of charcoal that goes on sale before the 4th of July!
                    >
                    > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, John Frerichs <owl_c2598@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > My first oven was a Lodge 12.  I bought it after watching a demo at a Boy Scout leader training in 1993.  First thing I ever made in it I burned to a crsip but we ate what we could out of the middle and I've been hooked ever since.  That first oven is still my favorite go to pot.
                    > >

                    > > John

                  • Brent Bolton
                    Message 9 of 29 , Apr 2, 2011
                      You should have seen the look on the Home Depot sales person when I said I needed 2 pallets of Kingsford last summer........we don't have sale limits here in New Mexico. They met me in the parking lot with a fork lift, but said I couldn't have the pallets and off loaded all of it into the truck. She was squatting a bit that day ! LOL Waiting for the sale to pop up again this year..........it only happens once each year. It was about $7.00 for 2 - 20# bags last year.......smoking deal...pun intended.

                      Brent Bolton
                      Dutchmasters

                      Message 10 of 29 , Apr 2, 2011
                        No sales limits would be great, but they have limits here!!