My First POT

    Message 1 of 29 , Apr 1, 2011
      My first Dutch Oven was a 10 inch DEEP Camp Oven. It was made by Century
      in Bham , Alabama. This pot got my love for Camp Dutch Oven cooking.

      What was your first pot?
    • John Frerichs
      Message 2 of 29 , Apr 1, 2011
        My first oven was a Lodge 12.  I bought it after watching a demo at a Boy Scout leader training in 1993.  First thing I ever made in it I burned to a crsip but we ate what we could out of the middle and I've been hooked ever since.  That first oven is still my favorite go to pot.

        John

        Message 3 of 29 , Apr 1, 2011
          Mine was a 16" deep!  Like Texas we do things BIG in SW Louisiana.  Firt thing I cooked was burnt.  I tried to cook "in the pot" a few more times then switched to pan baking.  First biscuits I made made the scouts really hungry.  They were eating their pop tarts and we (the scout leaders) had eggs, biscuits and gravy, and ham from breakfast.  While the oven was still warm, I mixed up a box pound cake and baked it for dessert after lunch.  After that, the scouts were always standing around to see what I was going to take out of that ole pot the next time.

          Shortly after, I instituted a meal plan where the Scout master had to approve what they were eating so we could make sure they received some cooking experience while camping.

          Just so we are on the same page, this ppot is still around and last time I used it at a DOG, it was full of Chicken and Sausage Jambalaya.  It was my first time to use coal to cook such a dish.  It came out really good and it took two of us to carry it to the serving table!

          Since then I have baked a turkey and cooked a HUGE pork roast packed in rock salt.  Both came out great!

          Randy Bear

          My first Dutch Oven was a 10 inch DEEP Camp Oven. It was made by Century
          in Bham , Alabama. This pot got my love for Camp Dutch Oven cooking.

          What was your first pot?

        • Doug
          Message 4 of 29 , Apr 1, 2011
            Mine was a Lodge 12 reg...It was the same size that I learned from in Boy Scouts so that was what I had to have. And now 24 Dutch ovens, 5 spiders, and 25 other pieces of cast iron later....I am still on the look off for more. Castironitis is a BAAADDDDD thing to catch!

            Message 5 of 29 , Apr 1, 2011
              10" deep Camp Chef, the old style with the deep lid. I didn't have a clue what I was getting myself into when I bought that pot! Ronda

              > My first Dutch Oven was a 10 inch DEEP Camp Oven. It was made by Century
              > in Bham , Alabama. This pot got my love for Camp Dutch Oven cooking.
              >
              > What was your first pot?

            • Bill Ryan
              Message 6 of 29 , Apr 1, 2011
                My first was a 12" oven in 2001, purchased it after a Scout outing. Since then, I graduated from dump cobblers. I currently have 52 in my collection.

                Bill

              • tedejo69@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 29 , Apr 1, 2011
                  12" deep and that was about 2 yrs ago, then I met y'all n well, the rest is history... Really GOOD history n really GOOD food too THANKS to u! Only problem is I got sick...with castironitis! LMAO! A good illness btw! TERE

                  From: "mississippi_biscuit" <n5hbb@...>
                  Sender: dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 09:21:10
                  To: <dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com>

                  My first Dutch Oven was a 10 inch DEEP Camp Oven. It was made by Century
                  in Bham , Alabama. This pot got my love for Camp Dutch Oven cooking.

                  What was your first pot?

                • Dwayne Lejeune
                  Message 8 of 29 , Apr 1, 2011
                    lol <VBG> I have been cooking in black Iron Pots since I was about 13 years old, But my dad was not much of a outdoors type man so Dutch Ovens was not in his style of cooking, So my very first DO pot was the 10" DO I won cooking my Seafood Gumbo, at the 2010 Nat' DOG at Lake Besteno state park.  Then I went to Bass Pro and bought another 12" DO.... Yep I'm hooked also!

                    Dwayne ~n~ Stephanie
                    "Waiting on New Truck"
                    2007 Flagstaff 831 BHSS
                    " Waiting On Someday"

                    Message 9 of 29 , Apr 1, 2011
                      My first pot, there are actually two, both Lodges a #10 & 12. I have had them since 1988. Since then the collection has grown to 34 pots!

                      Message 10 of 29 , Apr 1, 2011
                        My 1st was a 12" Lodge purchased in 1980, which I still have. Since then, I have
                        lost track of how many I have, not to mention the six 32" Camp Chef tables, five
                        28" Camp Chef tables, three 3-burner stoves, one volcano, four 2-burner stoves,
                        probably 40+ cast iron skillets, lots of waffle irons, cast iron pie-pans,
                        cornbread pans, bread pans, muffin pans, pizza pans, 3 smokers, .......... I
                        have 2 of the Lodge 5" ovens, several of the Camp Chef 5" ovens, SEVERAL: 6"
                        Lodge, 8" Lodge, 10" Lodge, 10" Deep Lodge, 10" Camp Chef, 12" regular Lodge,
                        12" Deep Lodge, 12" regular Camp Chef, 12" Deep Camp Chef, 14" Lodge, 14" Deep
                        Lodge, 14" Camp Chef, 16" Lodge, 16" Camp Chef, 17" MACA, Large oval MACA, 20"
                        Cabela's (made by Camp Chef), 20quart TexSport, 8" potjkie, 1" potjkie, 12"
                        Wenzel, Camp Chef Ultimate Dutch ovens, Camp Chef Aluminum Ultimate Dutch ovens
                        with Enhancement kits, Camp Chef Ultimate Turkey Roasters, Ableskivers pans,
                        Pie-irons, Lewis-Clark Camp Chef Bean Pots, 12" Camp Chef Aluminum, Camp Chef
                        Oval RailRoad oven, and a few other off brand ovens, some with legs, some
                        without. Do I have enough ? Nope, still got my eyes on a few others like some
                        22" MACA's, some 24" American's, some larger Potjkie's, more 12's, 14's, 16's,
                        ..................................and another BARN to put it all in, a
                        Peterbuilt with a large condo sleeper pulling a 3-axle Featherlite trailer to
                        haul the Chuckwagon & all the gear in ....................now, gotta run & check
                        my lottery ticket numbers !!

                        Mark "Dutch" Wilkins

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 29 , Apr 1, 2011
                          That's a good start there, Greg !

                          Mark

                          ________________________________
                          My first pot, there are actually two, both Lodges a #10 & 12. I have had them
                          since 1988. Since then the collection has grown to 34 pots!

                          My first Dutch Oven was a 10 inch DEEP Camp Oven. It was made by Century

                          in Bham , Alabama. This pot got my love for Camp Dutch Oven cooking.

                          What was your first pot?

                        • Greg Jacobs
                          Message 12 of 29 , Apr 1, 2011
                            HAHAHAHAHA!! I have to design a shed for all my iron. Don't you know, I leave the pots alone for a while and a "new" pot appears!!

                            From: mississippi_biscuit <n5hbb@...>

                            To: dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com

                            Date: Friday, April 1, 2011, 4:21 AM

                            Message 13 of 29 , Apr 1, 2011
                              Well, as many a boy scout in the late 60’s-early 70’s, I got my exposure to
                              Dutch oven cooking as a young man, but when I got out of high school, that’s
                              where it became dormant for a while. In 1980 I bought a 12” Lodge oven, but
                              didn’t use it much for a while. Then in 1988 when I began a career driving
                              semi-truck over the road, I learned quickly that truck stop food isn't cheap and
                              for the most part ain't that good either. I adopted the motto that if ya wanted
                              good food, you had to find the hidden places that did not have a paved parking
                              lot. Seemed to be true most times. But sometimes these places were kind of hard
                              to come by, so I began developing my skills as a "Manifold Cook" by cooking on
                              the engine while driving. I started by just heating cans of Ranch Style beans,
                              Spaghetti O's, etc., then advanced to burritos and foil wrapped concoctions;
                              then decided to try a freshly caught trout from a stream near a truck rest area
                              (Kept my fishing pole in the truck for just in case times). I wrapped it in foil
                              with some vinaigrette dressing and other seasonings, placed it on the manifold
                              by the turbo, and went down the road for a little while to the next rest area
                              and there enjoyed my new found treat. From there I graduated to doing
                              potatoes/onions/green peppers in foil along with cornish game hens. A frozen one
                              in Lewiston Idaho would be done by the time I reached Salt Lake city. It was
                              then that I decided hey, I used to could do some pretty good desserts in a Dutch
                              oven so I started carrying a 12 inch Dutch oven in my truck to use at rest
                              areas, or in the back of truck stop parking lots, or other spots when I had some
                              time. It was amazing how many other drivers would see me firing up some charcoal
                              on an old cookie sheet on the ground, & then sitting in a lawn chair preparing
                              my meal, that curiosity would get the best of them and they’d wander over to
                              inquire about my activities and even share in some of the vittles. They always
                              wanted to know which way I was headed next, maybe we’d be going the same way!
                              When I came off the road as a long-haul trucker, I wound up getting involved in
                              Scouting again as a leader, and my love for Dutch ovens has continued to grow
                              ever since. In 2002 I formed the AZ Chapter of the International Dutch Oven
                              Society (IDOS) and have done as much as possible to promote Dutch oven cooking
                              through cooking  demonstrations, potlucks, cookoffs, classes, etc. We have
                              competed in several competitions, including Chuckwagon Cookoffs, which are held
                              to period authentic guidelines like the old cowboys used on the trail in the
                              1880-1890’s. We won the 2007 AZ State Dutch Oven Championship,among other awards
                              in various competitions held throughout Arizona and New Mexico. Our passion for
                              Dutch oven cooking continues to thrive as we share our cooking skills with
                              others as we watch them become infected with “castironitis” and develop their
                              own passion for cooking in cast iron pots.

                              That’s my story........and I'm sticking with it.

                              P.S. NO, I never tried doing any road-kill cooking.....I leave that up to them
                              hillbilly red-necks out further east of me........

                              Mark “Dutch” Wilkins
                              Wittmann, AZ

                              Message 14 of 29 , Apr 1, 2011
                                As a redneck to the East of you, let me give you a tip on roadkill cooking. Always pickup road kill in teams....first you send one person out ahead of you with a can of spray paint and when they find a roadkill have them spraypaint a ring around it. Next have the other member of the Redneck Team go the same route an hour later.
                                The second redneck only picks up roadkill that does not have a ring around it....this ensures that you always have the freshest of roadkill! That's the way we do it!

                                --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Mark & Barbara Wilkins <barb7513@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                > others as we watch them become infected with “castironitis” and develop their
                                > own passion for cooking in cast iron pots.
                                >
                                > That’s my story........and I'm sticking with it.
                                >
                                > P.S. NO, I never tried doing any road-kill cooking.....I leave that up to them
                                > hillbilly red-necks out further east of me........
                                >
                                > Mark “Dutch” Wilkins
                                > Wittmann, AZ
                                >

                                > Sent: Fri, April 1, 2011 7:41:44 AM
                                > Subject: Re: [dutchovencooking] My First POT
                                >

                                > lol <VBG> I have been cooking in black Iron Pots since I was about 13 years old,
                                > But my dad was not much of a outdoors type man so Dutch Ovens was not in his
                                > style of cooking, So my very first DO pot was the 10" DO I won cooking my
                                > Seafood Gumbo, at the 2010 Nat' DOG at Lake Besteno state park.  Then I went to
                                > Bass Pro and bought another 12" DO.... Yep I'm hooked also!

                              • Ken
                                Message 15 of 29 , Apr 1, 2011
                                  Greg, three years ago, my wife had enough of my cooking pots and supplies all over the house, porch, carport, etc. We bought a 12 x 16 foot portable building which was named "The DOG House"

                                  I built shelves down both sides, and built a loft area across the back. Ice chests, coolers, and lightweight items went in the loft. Cast iron was stacked on the floor and bottom shelves, along with chuck boxes, cook tables, and propane stoves.

                                  There is also about 400 pounds of charcoal kept there, along with my electric roasters, fish frying pots, and large propane fryer burners.

                                  I now can walk in the door and down the center most of the way to the middle of the building to find things.

                                  Next project is to build a ramp outside the door. It will be hinged so it can be lifted to the tailgate of the truck, so that I can roll heavier boxes up the ramp to the truck, and roll them back to the building when finished.

                                  BTW: I try to catch the 'buy one get one free' charcoal sales at Lowes and Home Depot during Memorial Day, Fourth of July, and Labor Day to keep stocked.

                                  Ken

                                  --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Greg Jacobs <gkjacobs2001@...> wrote:

                                  > HAHAHAHAHA!! I have to design a shed for all my iron. Don't you know, I leave the pots alone for a while and a "new" pot appears!!

                                • Ken
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Apr 1, 2011
                                    My First pots were recycled from years ago. In 1964 my father remodeled the house, and added a large fireplace with hearth. He built a bar on the side which held a cooking grate and a swing hook. We cooked steaks over the fire in the winter, and soups and stews. The large hearth was fine to pull coals from the fire and cook on them. We had a ten inch long handle dutch oven which people today call a spider.

                                    We later sold that house, and packed up much of the fireplace cast iron. We were too busy to cook with it for many years. When I began to slow down and enjoy life, my first 'new' pot was a 10 inch Lodge. Been buying more ever since then.

                                    BTW: I went into the barn and found that spider when I began dutch oven cooking again. It makes great cornbread.

                                    > My first Dutch Oven was a 10 inch DEEP Camp Oven. It was made by Century
                                    > in Bham , Alabama. This pot got my love for Camp Dutch Oven cooking.
                                    >
                                    > What was your first pot?

                                  • Dwayne Lejeune
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Apr 1, 2011
                                      400 pounds WOW, lol I notice you hit sales, but is their a such thing as buying in stock?

                                      Dwayne ~n~ Stephanie
                                      "Waiting on New Truck"
                                      2007 Flagstaff 831 BHSS
                                      " Waiting On Someday"

                                      Message 18 of 29 , Apr 1, 2011
                                        I've not bought in bulk before. When Lowes & Home Depot have the buy one get one free sales, it's sometimes the 2- 20 pound bags shrink wrapped together. I think last time it was a limit of 2. So you buy 2 shrink wrapped packs, which is 80 lbs., and you get 80 lbs. free. I go through one line, Doug goes through a different line and the daughter or whoever goes to a different checker. Bingo, 480 pounds. lol!! Ronda

                                        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Dwayne Lejeune <poplejeune@...> wrote:

                                        > 400 pounds WOW, lol I notice you hit sales, but is their a such thing as buying in stock?
                                        >

                                        > Dwayne ~n~ Stephanie
                                        > "Waiting on New Truck"
                                        > 2007 Flagstaff 831 BHSS
                                        > " Waiting On Someday"

                                      • Dwayne Lejeune
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Apr 1, 2011
                                          ROFL....... I wonder if they would say something if I tell the the other two bags are for my 2-3 year olds sitting in basket....  I will have to try that

                                          Dwayne ~n~ Stephanie
                                          "Waiting on New Truck"
                                          2007 Flagstaff 831 BHSS
                                          " Waiting On Someday"

                                          I've not bought in bulk before. When Lowes & Home Depot have the buy one get one free sales, it's sometimes the 2- 20 pound bags shrink wrapped together. I think last time it was a limit of 2. So you buy 2 shrink wrapped packs, which is 80 lbs., and you get 80 lbs. free. I go through one line, Doug goes through a different line and the daughter or whoever goes to a different checker. Bingo, 480 pounds. lol!! Ronda

                                          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Dwayne Lejeune <poplejeune@...> wrote:

                                          > 400 pounds WOW, lol I notice you hit sales, but is their a such thing as buying in stock?
                                          >

                                          > Dwayne ~n~ Stephanie
                                          > "Waiting on New Truck"
                                          > 2007 Flagstaff 831 BHSS
                                          > " Waiting On Someday"

                                        • Greg Jacobs
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Apr 1, 2011
                                            Hi Ken,
                                            I saw a design that would do for me, but I'll have to "tweak" the inside a bit!
                                            The shed should be done by July.
                                            Oh the fun of castironitis!!!
                                            Greg

                                            Greg, three years ago, my wife had enough of my cooking pots and supplies all over the house, porch, carport, etc. We bought a 12 x 16 foot portable building which was named "The DOG House"

                                            I built shelves down both sides, and built a loft area across the back. Ice chests, coolers, and lightweight items went in the loft. Cast iron was stacked on the floor and bottom shelves, along with chuck boxes, cook tables, and propane stoves.

                                            There is also about 400 pounds of charcoal kept there, along with my electric roasters, fish frying pots, and large propane fryer burners.

                                            I now can walk in the door and down the center most of the way to the middle of the building to find things.

                                            Next project is to build a ramp outside the door. It will be hinged so it can be lifted to the tailgate of the truck, so that I can roll heavier boxes up the ramp to the truck, and roll them back to the building when finished.

                                            BTW: I try to catch the 'buy one get one free' charcoal sales at Lowes and Home Depot during Memorial Day, Fourth of July, and Labor Day to keep stocked.

                                            Ken

                                            --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Greg Jacobs <gkjacobs2001@...> wrote:

                                            > HAHAHAHAHA!! I have to design a shed for all my iron. Don't you know, I leave the pots alone for a while and a "new" pot appears!!

                                            > --- On Fri, 4/1/11, Mark & Barbara Wilkins <barb7513@...> wrote:

                                            > From: Mark & Barbara Wilkins <barb7513@...>

                                            > Subject: Re: [dutchovencooking] My First POT

                                            > To: dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com

                                            > Date: Friday, April 1, 2011, 10:01 AM

                                            > That's a good start there, Greg !

                                            > Mark

                                            > ________________________________

                                            > From: Greg Jacobs <gkjacobs2001@...>

                                          • Greg Jacobs
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Apr 1, 2011
                                              I do the same thing here. I can't wait for the sales to start!

                                              I've not bought in bulk before. When Lowes & Home Depot have the buy one get one free sales, it's sometimes the 2- 20 pound bags shrink wrapped together. I think last time it was a limit of 2. So you buy 2 shrink wrapped packs, which is 80 lbs., and you get 80 lbs. free. I go through one line, Doug goes through a different line and the daughter or whoever goes to a different checker. Bingo, 480 pounds. lol!! Ronda

                                              --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Dwayne Lejeune <poplejeune@...> wrote:

                                              > 400 pounds WOW, lol I notice you hit sales, but is their a such thing as buying in stock?

                                              > Dwayne ~n~ Stephanie

                                              > "Waiting on New Truck"

                                              > 2007 Flagstaff 831 BHSS

                                              > " Waiting On Someday"

                                              > --- On Fri, 4/1/11, Ken <savage99_250@...> wrote:

                                              > From: Ken <savage99_250@...>

                                              > Subject: [dutchovencooking] Re: My First POT

                                              > To: dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com

                                              > Date: Friday, April 1, 2011, 2:37 PM

                                              > Greg, three years ago, my wife had enough of my cooking pots and supplies all over the house, porch, carport, etc. We bought a 12 x 16 foot portable building which was named "The DOG House"

                                              > I built shelves down both sides, and built a loft area across the back. Ice chests, coolers, and lightweight items went in the loft. Cast iron was stacked on the floor and bottom shelves, along with chuck boxes, cook tables, and propane stoves.

                                              > There is also about 400 pounds of charcoal kept there, along with my electric roasters, fish frying pots, and large propane fryer burners.

                                              > I now can walk in the door and down the center most of the way to the middle of the building to find things.

                                              > Next project is to build a ramp outside the door. It will be hinged so it can be lifted to the tailgate of the truck, so that I can roll heavier boxes up the ramp to the truck, and roll them back to the building when finished.

                                              > BTW: I try to catch the 'buy one get one free' charcoal sales at Lowes and Home Depot during Memorial Day, Fourth of July, and Labor Day to keep stocked.

                                              > Ken

                                              > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Greg Jacobs <gkjacobs2001@> wrote:

                                              > > HAHAHAHAHA!! I have to design a shed for all my iron. Don't you know, I leave the pots alone for a while and a "new" pot appears!!

                                              > > --- On Fri, 4/1/11, Mark & Barbara Wilkins <barb7513@> wrote:

                                              > > From: Mark & Barbara Wilkins <barb7513@>

                                              > > Subject: Re: [dutchovencooking] My First POT

                                              > > To: dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com

                                              > > Date: Friday, April 1, 2011, 10:01 AM

                                              > > That's a good start there, Greg !

                                              > > Mark

                                              > > ________________________________

                                              > > From: Greg Jacobs <gkjacobs2001@>

                                            • beeman
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Apr 1, 2011
                                                Like John, I burnt the scalloped potatoes to a crisp in my first no name Dutch Oven which I bought in 1979. It was all we could do to chip the charcoal out of that DO and I knew nothing about seasoning or heat control. Much water under the bridge later and I now have Lodge, Camp Chef, and MACA DOs. a 6", 8", 10", 10"deep,three 12", a 12"deep, a 13" (MACA and REAL DEEP),two 14", a 14" deep, and two 16".I also have an ultimate DO, an ultimate Turkey Roaster,four skillets, and five different table set-ups...It is ridiculous. The worst is having to buy the 600 pounds of charcoal that goes on sale before the 4th of July!

                                                --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, John Frerichs <owl_c2598@...> wrote:

                                                > My first oven was a Lodge 12.  I bought it after watching a demo at a Boy Scout leader training in 1993.  First thing I ever made in it I burned to a crsip but we ate what we could out of the middle and I've been hooked ever since.  That first oven is still my favorite go to pot.
                                                >

                                                > John

                                              • sami dahdal
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Apr 1, 2011
                                                  I bought the buy one get one free before its a good buy and I am waiting to
                                                  buy again next sale because I am out of stock but be careful to check the
                                                  bags weight Home depot has more pounds each bag than Lowes with the same
                                                  price .
                                                  Sami

                                                  On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 2:38 PM, rlb_51 <rlb_51@...> wrote:

                                                  > I've not bought in bulk before. When Lowes & Home Depot have the buy one
                                                  > get one free sales, it's sometimes the 2- 20 pound bags shrink wrapped
                                                  > together. I think last time it was a limit of 2. So you buy 2 shrink wrapped
                                                  > packs, which is 80 lbs., and you get 80 lbs. free. I go through one line,
                                                  > Doug goes through a different line and the daughter or whoever goes to a
                                                  > different checker. Bingo, 480 pounds. lol!! Ronda
                                                  >
                                                  > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Dwayne Lejeune <poplejeune@...>
                                                  > wrote:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > 400 pounds WOW, lol I notice you hit sales, but is their a such thing
                                                  > as� buying in stock?
                                                  > >

                                                  > > Dwayne ~n~ Stephanie
                                                  > > "Waiting on New Truck"
                                                  > > 2007 Flagstaff 831 BHSS
                                                  > > " Waiting On Someday"

                                                • beeman
                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Apr 1, 2011
                                                    I know we have gotten far off the first pot topic but I just want to say that that pile of charcoal and the Dutchovens are great survival / emergency cooking tools. Look at the disaster in Japan and appreciate that with some areas that aren't irradiated but still remote and with electricity down, it's nice to have an oven like we have to rely on. Or electricity goes down in the winter storm, we cook in our fireplaces with the DO.
                                                    Now back to the topic line. I don't know what happened to my original DO from back in thelate 70's. I think cousin Betsy and her husband took it.

                                                    --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, sami dahdal <samsironworks@...> wrote:

                                                    > I bought the buy one get one free before its a good buy and I am waiting to
                                                    > buy again next sale because I am out of stock but be careful to check the
                                                    > bags weight Home depot has more pounds each bag than Lowes with the same
                                                    > price .
                                                    > Sami
                                                    >
                                                    > On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 2:38 PM, rlb_51 <rlb_51@...> wrote:
                                                    >

                                                    > > I've not bought in bulk before. When Lowes & Home Depot have the buy one
                                                    > > get one free sales, it's sometimes the 2- 20 pound bags shrink wrapped
                                                    > > together. I think last time it was a limit of 2. So you buy 2 shrink wrapped
                                                    > > packs, which is 80 lbs., and you get 80 lbs. free. I go through one line,
                                                    > > Doug goes through a different line and the daughter or whoever goes to a
                                                    > > different checker. Bingo, 480 pounds. lol!! Ronda
                                                    > >
                                                    > > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Dwayne Lejeune <poplejeune@>
                                                    > > wrote:
                                                    > > >
                                                    > > > 400 pounds WOW, lol I notice you hit sales, but is their a such thing
                                                    > > as buying in stock?
                                                    > > >

                                                    > > > Dwayne ~n~ Stephanie
                                                    > > > "Waiting on New Truck"
                                                    > > > 2007 Flagstaff 831 BHSS
                                                    > > > " Waiting On Someday"

                                                  • John Frerichs
                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Apr 1, 2011
                                                      I know what you mean....I'm up to 27 pots now and had to buy a tralier to carry my cooking stuff.  Then found out that my van would not pull the trailer so had to buy a Tahoe to pull the trailer.  LOL  My banker sure likes me!

                                                      John

                                                      Like John, I burnt the scalloped potatoes to a crisp in my first no name Dutch Oven which I bought in 1979. It was all we could do to chip the charcoal out of that DO and I knew nothing about seasoning or heat control. Much water under the bridge later and I now have Lodge, Camp Chef, and MACA DOs. a 6", 8", 10", 10"deep,three 12", a 12"deep, a 13" (MACA and REAL DEEP),two 14", a 14" deep, and two 16".I also have an ultimate DO, an ultimate Turkey Roaster,four skillets, and five different table set-ups...It is ridiculous. The worst is having to buy the 600 pounds of charcoal that goes on sale before the 4th of July!

                                                      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, John Frerichs <owl_c2598@...> wrote:

                                                      > My first oven was a Lodge 12.  I bought it after watching a demo at a Boy Scout leader training in 1993.  First thing I ever made in it I burned to a crsip but we ate what we could out of the middle and I've been hooked ever since.  That first oven is still my favorite go to pot.
                                                      >

                                                      > John

                                                    • Larry Crockett
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Apr 1, 2011
                                                        Yes, I also burned an apple crisp in my first dutch oven. Scraped it out,
                                                        burned it out in a household oven cleaning cycle, and learned how to season.
                                                        Been good ever since.

                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Apr 1, 2011
                                                          I have never burnt anything. But when I first started cooking in the DO, I often had stuff not get done until way later than it shoulda been. One night, maybe my 3rd cooking deal, we didn't eat until almost 11:00 p.m. That was Johnson's DO Sirloin Tips. They were mighty good. Ronda

                                                          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "beeman" <amendment2@...> wrote:

                                                          > Like John, I burnt the scalloped potatoes to a crisp in my first no name Dutch Oven which I bought in 1979. It was all we could do to chip the charcoal out of that DO and I knew nothing about seasoning or heat control. Much water under the bridge later and I now have Lodge, Camp Chef, and MACA DOs. a 6", 8", 10", 10"deep,three 12", a 12"deep, a 13" (MACA and REAL DEEP),two 14", a 14" deep, and two 16".I also have an ultimate DO, an ultimate Turkey Roaster,four skillets, and five different table set-ups...It is ridiculous. The worst is having to buy the 600 pounds of charcoal that goes on sale before the 4th of July!
                                                          >
                                                          > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, John Frerichs <owl_c2598@> wrote:
                                                          > >
                                                          > > My first oven was a Lodge 12.  I bought it after watching a demo at a Boy Scout leader training in 1993.  First thing I ever made in it I burned to a crsip but we ate what we could out of the middle and I've been hooked ever since.  That first oven is still my favorite go to pot.
                                                          > >

                                                          > > John

                                                        • Brent Bolton
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Apr 2, 2011
                                                            You should have seen the look on the Home Depot sales person when I said I needed 2 pallets of Kingsford last summer........we don't have sale limits here in New Mexico. They met me in the parking lot with a fork lift, but said I couldn't have the pallets and off loaded all of it into the truck. She was squatting a bit that day ! LOL Waiting for the sale to pop up again this year..........it only happens once each year. It was about $7.00 for 2 - 20# bags last year.......smoking deal...pun intended.

                                                            Brent Bolton
                                                            Dutchmasters

                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Apr 2, 2011
                                                              No sales limits would be great, but they have limits here!!