Re: [dutchovencooking] Re: carrying cases? bags?

  • John Frerichs
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 5, 2011
      I like the Cabela's carry bags too.  They have padding in them that I like.  I use cut out wood pieces in the bottom of the bags too.  They help to keep the legs from poking through and when time to serve, you can use the wood circle to put under the hot pot when putting on the table.

      John

      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 5, 2011
        The best DO bags I have found come from Kirkham's Outdoor Pronucts in SLC, Utah. When I need them, I stop in when I travel to see family in the area. They also have a web site.

        Kentv

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Mar 5, 2011, at 2:32 PM, John Frerichs <owl_c2598@...> wrote:

        > I like the Cabela's carry bags too. They have padding in them that I like. I use cut out wood pieces in the bottom of the bags too. They help to keep the legs from poking through and when time to serve, you can use the wood circle to put under the hot pot when putting on the table.
        >
        > John

      • Leon Perkins
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 5, 2011
          HINT ..... I like the 12" bags that are being sold for the 2011 National Dutch
          Oven Gathering in Ohio, July 8-9-10. They will fit a deep 12". $15

          Registration is open and info is on the following link.

          http://2011nationaldog.jigsy.com/
          Leon Perkins

          Western New York Dutch Oven Society

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 5, 2011
            Hey Neighbor! BAGS! I paint a number on bag and have all 25 or so labeled. I know what is in each bag.Also tag your lid and pot.

            Biscuit
            The Happy Dutch Oven Cook
            Need Five Hot Butter Biscuits N5HBB
          • thefatdutchman
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 5, 2011
              When I make dog tags for my new pots, I do 3 - one for the lid, one for the pot, and one for the bag.

              Keith Hansen
              Spartanburg, SC

              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 5, 2011
                OK, I got on the Kirham's site and looked at those. They cost more. Are they really better? Opinions please!! Ronda

                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 5, 2011
                  Are those available if you aren't registered for the DOG? Ronda

                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 5, 2011
                    We have a friend who works at a place that does custom stitching. She puts my initials and a number on the straps of the bags we have. So I just put corresponding tags on the oven and lid. Ronda

                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 5, 2011
                      I meant to add, we also put tags on lid lifters, stove, charcoal starters, etc. Ronda

                      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "thefatdutchman" <keith@...> wrote:

                      > When I make dog tags for my new pots, I do 3 - one for the lid, one for the pot, and one for the bag.
                      >
                      > Keith Hansen
                      > Spartanburg, SC
                      >
                      > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "mississippi_biscuit" <n5hbb@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hey Neighbor! BAGS! I paint a number on bag and have all 25 or so labeled. I know what is in each bag.Also tag your lid and pot.
                      > >
                      > > Biscuit
                      > > The Happy Dutch Oven Cook
                      > > Need Five Hot Butter Biscuits N5HBB

                    • JULIE JORDAN
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 5, 2011
                        Hi Nancy! I live "right down the hill" from you in good old San Bernardino. My
                        name is Julie Jordan and I am the Chapter Director for the Southern California
                        Chapter of the International Dutch Oven Society (SoCalIDOS for short). Please
                        go to our web-site, www.socaldos.org and check out our calendar. We are having
                        our Spring DOG (Dutch Oven Gathering) in Redlands, and our Mountain DOG in June
                        up in Idyllwild. Would LOVE for you to come and cook, fellowship, and eat with
                        us. Smiles, Julie Jordan

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 6, 2011
                          I use pillow cases
                          Chili Bob
                          > We like the Cabela's dutch oven bags. One size fits 10 and 12 inch ovens,
                          > larger size fits 14 & 16 inch. The are $16.99 & $19.99. I couldn't get
                          > the link to paste, but you can go to the website and type in item no.
                          > IK-516422. My husband usually cuts a circle of panelling to put in the
                          > bottom of the bag. I think Sportsman's warehouse used to carry some bags
                          > also. Ronda
                          >
                          > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Nancy Hinz <ncyhnz@...> wrote:
                          >>
                          >> I'm a "newbie" and I enjoy reading your posts and learning as much as I
                          >> can
                          >> about Dutch Oven cooking! The extent of my cooking is in our back yard
                          >> (in
                          >> the Big Bear Lake area in So. Cal.) for friends and neighbors as well as
                          >> for
                          >> our Ham Radio/RV group (Sam's Radio Hams) at various campouts. At this
                          >> time
                          >> I have one 12" two 10" Dutch Ovens.
                          >>
                          >> My question is: How do you transport your various Dutch Ovens? in
                          >> boxes?
                          >> bags? or?
                          >>
                          >> I ordered the book: " Dutch Oven Cooking " by Terry Lewis and it should
                          >> arrive any day. I'm really looking forward to receiving it. Thanks to
                          >> you
                          >> all who post your recipes! They are much appreciated!
                          >>
                          >> Nancy Hinz
                          >> KE6QI

                          > -----
                          > No virus found in this message.

                        • Wally Dennis
                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 6, 2011
                            Ronda
                            I have never used Kirkhams DO Bags, but Kirkhams Makes a quality product no
                            questions asked.  I have one of there tents that I've had for 30 plus years.

                            ________________________________

                            wrote:

                            > The best DO bags I have found come from Kirkham's Outdoor Pronucts in SLC,
                            >Utah. When I need them, I stop in when I travel to see family in the area. They
                            >also have a web site.
                            >
                            > Kentv
                            >
                            > Sent from my iPhone
                            >
                            > On Mar 5, 2011, at 2:32 PM, John Frerichs <owl_c2598@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > I like the Cabela's carry bags too. They have padding in them that I like. I
                            >use cut out wood pieces in the bottom of the bags too. They help to keep the
                            >legs from poking through and when time to serve, you can use the wood circle to
                            >put under the hot pot when putting on the table.
                            > >
                            > > John

                          • David Grover
                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 6, 2011
                              They are one of the best, I have 4 of them.

                              ________________________________

                              wrote:

                              > The best DO bags I have found come from Kirkham's Outdoor Pronucts in SLC,
                              >Utah. When I need them, I stop in when I travel to see family in the area. They

                              >also have a web site.
                              >
                              > Kentv
                              >
                              > Sent from my iPhone
                              >
                              > On Mar 5, 2011, at 2:32 PM, John Frerichs <owl_c2598@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > I like the Cabela's carry bags too. They have padding in them that I like. I

                              >use cut out wood pieces in the bottom of the bags too. They help to keep the
                              >legs from poking through and when time to serve, you can use the wood circle to

                              >put under the hot pot when putting on the table.
                              > >
                              > > John

                            • John Madsen
                              Message 14 of 23 , Mar 6, 2011
                                Kirkhams are made in the USA. Cabela's are made in China.

                                Sent from my iPad
                              • Nancy Hinz
                                Message 15 of 23 , Mar 6, 2011
                                  Thank you for your greeting and introduction, Julie! As I wrote to Barbara,
                                  this will be my first experience with a group DOG and I really don't know
                                  what to expect. Any tips will be appreciated. Looking forward to meeting
                                  you.
                                  Nancy

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Mar 6, 2011
                                    Cooking for the family is one thing Nancy, lots of attention to feed your
                                    crew.

                                    The true test of your ability will be the empty pot at the end of a DOG.

                                    Some people (like me and T-Bone) will eat anything!

                                    Just do your best at the simplest thing you have done a dozen times.

                                    There WILL BE PEOPLE there to eat it!

                                    Randy Bear

                                    PS. Welcome to the group and don't for get to stay in touch with the files
                                    section. There is a WEALTH of information in there.

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Mar 7, 2011
                                      Thanks for the good advice and warm welcome, Randy! I appreciate that!

                                      On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 6:22 PM, Randy Hebert <RandyHebert@...>wrote:

                                      > Cooking for the family is one thing Nancy, lots of attention to feed your
                                      > crew.
                                      >
                                      > The true test of your ability will be the empty pot at the end of a DOG.
                                      >
                                      > Some people (like me and T-Bone) will eat anything!
                                      >
                                      > Just do your best at the simplest thing you have done a dozen times.
                                      >
                                      > There WILL BE PEOPLE there to eat it!
                                      >
                                      > Randy Bear
                                      >
                                      > PS. Welcome to the group and don't for get to stay in touch with the files
                                      > section. There is a WEALTH of information in there.

                                    • Leon Perkins
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Mar 7, 2011
                                        Short answer ... No

                                        Long answer...

                                        "For distribution at the National DOG".
                                        "Last day to accept orders will be May 15, 2011.
                                        No extras will be available."

                                        DUE TO INSURANCE CONSIDERATIONS,
                                        NO ADMITTANCE WITHOUT A PRE-REGISTRATION.
                                        ***** REGISTRATION DEADLINE IS JUNE 1, 2011 *****

                                        http://2011nationaldog.jigsy.com/

                                        Fran???
                                        Leon Perkins

                                        Western New York Dutch Oven Society

                                        ________________________________
                                        Are those available if you aren't registered for the DOG? Ronda

                                        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Leon Perkins <l599336@...> wrote:

                                        > HINT ..... I like the 12" bags that are being sold for the 2011 National Dutch

                                        > Oven Gathering in Ohio, July 8-9-10. They will fit a deep 12". $15
                                        >
                                        > Registration is open and info is on the following link.
                                        >
                                        > http://2011nationaldog.jigsy.com/
                                        > Leon Perkins
                                        >

                                        > Western New York Dutch Oven Society
                                        >

                                        > ________________________________

                                      • fran_lg
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Mar 7, 2011
                                          Addendum to Leon's Long answer ... "orders can be accepted providing you have a way of getting the merchandise. Sorry, no mail orders".

                                          Ronda, don't know when would be the next time I'd see you! But if someone else is going your way, we can send it with them.

                                          Fran L-G
                                          Cleveland OH
                                          http://2011nationaldog.jigsy.com

                                          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Leon Perkins <l599336@...> wrote:

                                          > Short answer ... No
                                          >

                                          > Long answer...
                                          >
                                          > "For distribution at the National DOG".
                                          > "Last day to accept orders will be May 15, 2011.
                                          > No extras will be available."
                                          >
                                          > DUE TO INSURANCE CONSIDERATIONS,
                                          > NO ADMITTANCE WITHOUT A PRE-REGISTRATION.
                                          > ***** REGISTRATION DEADLINE IS JUNE 1, 2011 *****
                                          >
                                          > http://2011nationaldog.jigsy.com/
                                          >
                                          > Fran???
                                          > Leon Perkins
                                          >

                                          > Western New York Dutch Oven Society

                                        • Connie Knie
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Mar 9, 2011
                                            Ok so if I wanted one (or two) of these bags then I need to know if someone from MI is going to the DOG? I have been looking forward to attending this one since it was announced.....so close!!!  But I just got offered my dream job for the summer at Boy Scout camp and really can't/ don't want to turn it down.................
                                            So anyone from MI going and can bring them to me? I can meet you somewhere.......

                                            Connie

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Mar 9, 2011
                                              Has anyone seen these?? What do you think?http://www.chuckwagonsupply.com/catpage5.html#DOCases

                                              Connie