Re: [dutchovencooking] MIL Gave me old dutch oven

  • Douglas Rudisill
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2011
      Hello all! I am new to this group but not to dutch oven cooking. I too have the 12" Dutch oven from my scouting days presented to me from my late daddy and scoutmaster. My patrol saved up about $13.00 back in 1972 to buy one. I was patrol leader then and always wanted to learn how to use one. We burned a lot of food made numerous mistakes in that old oven but it still survived. When the troop folded my dad donated all the gear to another troop except for the old dutch oven. He new I was so fond of it and had learned so much from it. I now have five dutch ovens and many iron cookware pieces my wife trasures as well but my favorite is that old number 12". Had my dad not presented that to me prior to my 30th birthday I may not have enjoyed what has become a wonderful hobby and added inches to the beltline of my life.
      Try using a grinder or drill motor with a cup brush to remove rust then reseason as stated...they can last forever when taken care of.
      Doug

      From: Karen M <okpondlady@...>
      Subject: [dutchovencooking] MIL Gave me old dutch oven
      To: "dutch oven cooking list" <dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Friday, December 31, 2010, 9:59 AM

      My mother in law gave me the dutch oven they used to camp when my husband was in Boy Scouts..30 years ago.

      It is rusted terribly with no seasoning to speak of. Can I use oven cleaner to strip it? I have never stripped a DO before, always bought them new or at least clean and seasoned them. It is a 14 inch with a rimmed lid. I can't wait to cook in it.

      Thanks!!!!

      Karen

    • BSAT80ASM@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2011
        I soak it in a vinegar and water solution overnight. Then wash and dry it. (Use a plastic scrubby if necessary.) Coat with oil (I use canola oil) lightly.
        I then bake it in my gas BBQ at 400 degrees for one hour. Comes out a perfect black coating. I generally coat it 3 times then make dinner in it.
        Ken
        The Other Ken

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 2, 2011
          What do you do if your oven is not self cleaning?
           Steven Stuckey - N9WNN - Indiana

          ________________________________
          I would first try putting it in your oven upside down with the lid on the shelf
          below it and turn the oven on the self clean cycle. When it cools enough to open

          and remove it (still using gloves) wipe it down with Crisco and put it back in
          and bake it at 450 degrees for 1 hour and let cool.

          Mark

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 2, 2011
            do it in a gas grill or charcoal grill

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 2, 2011
              I have more Lodge ironware than any other brand. I will have to say I bought an American Camper deep 10 inch as Lodge does not and seasoned it in my gas grill. It did so well; one couldn't ask for a deeper black finish I got. I also stay in good grace with the wife by not smoking up the house.
              Doug