Fried apple pies

  • mamabear-kathy
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4, 2010
      I thought I just sent that last message to Biscuit and it came to the group.

      frying those pies really seasoned my camp chef Do really nice.

      Here's the photos

      bye,
      mamabear-kathy
    • Lyla Bybee
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 5, 2010
        CAn you share the recipe for the fried apple pies?  Thanks

        ________________________________
      • mamabear-kathy
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 12, 2010
          Fried apple pies
          from allrecipes.com and then changed a little.

          Dough
          6 cups all purpose flour
          2 cups of shortening
          1 tablespoon salt
          1 1/4 cups cold water or less
          2 tablespoons of vinegar ..mix with water
          1/2 cup of sugar

          apples
          8-9 apples, Granny smith or Jonagold
          1 cup of white sugar
          2 tablespoon butter
          1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

          3 cups or more of Crisco shortening for frying pies in.
          ***** Have the Criso heated to 350° -375° when you start forming the pies.

          1. Peel and thickly slice apples
          add sugar , cinnamon and butter.
          Cook until tender, but still firm.
          Let cool before putting on dough.

          2. Sift flour and salt and sugar together. Cut in the shortening. Add water/vinegar a little at a time and mix with a fork.
          Refrigerate while apples cool.

          3. Roll out to about 1/8 inch thick on a floured board. Cut to about a 6" circle. Use a small saucer, place dough on it.

          4. Put a couple of tablespoons of apples on half the dough that is on the saucer . Moisten edge with a little cold water and fold over. Press edge lightly with a fork. Cut excess dough off . Save to use for other pies.

          Heat Crisco in a 10" or 12" dutchoven. 350°-375° Carefully slide pie into hot Criso. Fry pies 2 at a time, 2-3 minutes on each side. cook until golden brown. drain on paper towels.

          *** Use a dutchoven, less oily spatters than using a cast iron skillet. Seasons the dutchoven nicely too.

          I found too, I raised my kitchen table up about 4" using some cans Under the table legs.. It helps not to have to bend over so much when rolling out the dough. A lot easier on the olde back.