Re: [dutchovencooking] Re: Cast iron off shore

  • Maria Hillegas
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2010
      We did email Camp Chef to find out where their products were manufactured and they replied that their products are made in China to US specifications.

      I, for one, prefer to purchase the old Griswold products and the Lodge.

      What I am finding the most fun is going to the farmers markets and flea markets around PA and "making finds". So far we have found a few well taken care of pieces.

      The other thing that I found very cool - when I started to discuss with my sister-in-law (husband's sister) about my husband getting into cast iron cooking - she produced
      several pieces that had been their mother's. His mother passed away several years ago from cancer at an early age - her pieces had been in the family for years and
      most came from homes in Johnstown, PA. These pieces mean so much to us.

      Sorry to ramble,

      Maria in PA

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2010
        Camp Chef has great quality control on their stuff and is quite comparable to
        Lodge. Owning & using well over 30 pcs of each, they work great and will all get
        some great use over the next few weeks in some Chuckwagon Cookoffs, the Arizona
        State Championship cookoff, a Boy Scout cooking class, and a couple of catering
        gigs as well.

        ________________________________
        > If I'm not mistaken Camp Chef is made "off shore" for them. I believe Lodge is
        >the only cast iron cook ware made in the United States, in South Pittsburgh, TN.
        >I bought Lodge long before I started working for them and will continue to by
        >there cast iron MADE IN THE USA.

        Yep, Camp Chef is made "off shore" and made from who knows what? I for one will
        never own a piece of Camp Crap made from them. Lodge all the way!!!

      • Wally Dennis
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2010
          The next time you are in a store with Lodge porcelain ovens look at country of
          origin on the boxes.

          ________________________________

          > If I'm not mistaken Camp Chef is made "off shore" for them. I believe Lodge is

          >the only cast iron cook ware made in the United States, in South Pittsburgh, TN.
          >
          >I bought Lodge long before I started working for them and will continue to by
          >there cast iron MADE IN THE USA.

          Yep, Camp Chef is made "off shore" and made from who knows what? I for one will
          never own a piece of Camp Crap made from them. Lodge all the way!!!

        • omar alvarez
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 1, 2010
            I prefer the CampChef pots , and i will be using them at the national D O G next week.
            I now own about 25 C C pots, and 1 Lodge.

            The next time you are in a store with Lodge porcelain ovens look at country of
            origin on the boxes.

            ________________________________

            > If I'm not mistaken Camp Chef is made "off shore" for them. I believe Lodge is

            >the only cast iron cook ware made in the United States, in South Pittsburgh, TN.
            >
            >I bought Lodge long before I started working for them and will continue to by
            >there cast iron MADE IN THE USA.

            Yep, Camp Chef is made "off shore" and made from who knows what? I for one will
            never own a piece of Camp Crap made from them. Lodge all the way!!!

          • blockers
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 1, 2010
              Maria~

              I enjoyed your trip down memory lane. I love to hear people's stories. I can certainly understand your attachment and appreciation for these pieces of cast iron.

              Sue
              Burleson, TX

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 1, 2010
                Yup, Lodge Color series is made in China and it's in really really small print on the box.

                As for CampChef, I've got a couple pieces of it and lots of Lodge. The CampChef of 10 years ago is quite a different animal to the CampChef of today.

                Today's is well made, smooth, evenenly cast compared to the older stuff.

                For someone just getting into DO cooking the price differenct can be quite significant as well.

                A Lodge 12 inch is around $60 where the local Cal-Ranch has the CampChef equivelant for $30 this month.

                I'll continue to buy Lodge just because I like the USA product, but I wouldn't let that keep me from recommending CampChef to someone wanting to dabble in cast iron cooking! Get 'em started, they'll probably move to Lodge over time . . . .
              • Greg Jacobs
                Message 7 of 10 , Oct 1, 2010
                  I was looking at the Lodge enameled ovens a while ago and was going to buy one until I saw where they were made.
                  I bought a LeCrussette instead. After all, the French were the first to come up with the idea and presented one at a fair in London in 1772.
                  That information is in the 1797 edition  Encyclopedia Britanica

                  The next time you are in a store with Lodge porcelain ovens look at country of

                  origin on the boxes.

                  ________________________________

                  > If I'm not mistaken Camp Chef is made "off shore" for them. I believe Lodge is

                  >the only cast iron cook ware made in the United States, in South Pittsburgh, TN.

                  >I bought Lodge long before I started working for them and will continue to by

                  >there cast iron MADE IN THE USA.

                  Yep, Camp Chef is made "off shore" and made from who knows what? I for one will

                  never own a piece of Camp Crap made from them. Lodge all the way!!!

                • castiron_cook2008
                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 1, 2010
                    --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Wally Dennis <wally.dennis@...> wrote:

                    > The next time you are in a store with Lodge porcelain ovens look at country of
                    > origin on the boxes.

                    This is an answer from Lodge to a customer concerned about their enameled Lodge cookware.

                    I do understand the concerns about quality... coming from China. We have the same concerns, which is why the cookware is built to exact specifications. Our enameled cookware is also tested by a third party testing facility to ensure that all standards are met. This testing facility does testing for many of the products you use, US made and otherwise.

                    We are not willing to gamble with anyone's safety, and our own families use this cookware as well. Finally, we do not produce our enameled cookware in China because it is cheaper (it is not). We produce the cookware in China because they have the type of enameling facilities to produce the cookware. At this time we do not have this available in the US.We do not produce our enameled cookware in China to save cost (it is not cheaper to produce). We have to enamel the cookware where there are proper facilities.
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 3, 2010
                      The 2010 Arizona State Championship Dutch Oven Cookoff will be held at the AZ
                      State Fair on November 6, 2010. Entry deadline is Nov. 1, 2010. Contact me for
                      details at cobweb7513@... or at this yahoo address as well.

                      Mark "Dutch" Wilkins