Chicken Parm

  • quietlber
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 14, 2010
      I would like to make a nice, but easy chicken parm while camping next week. Anyone have a recipe or direct me where to find one?

      Thanks!
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 14, 2010
        Have you ever made it before, at home? If so, use the same recipe. It doesnt have to be a dutch oven recipe. Ronda

        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "quietlber" <tricia576@...> wrote:

        > I would like to make a nice, but easy chicken parm while camping next week. Anyone have a recipe or direct me where to find one?
        >
        > Thanks!

      • Greg Kline
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 14, 2010
          I'm a newbee to Dutch oven cooking but I tried "Big Woods Chicken" last weekend as my 1st main course entree. Turned out quite well, if I do say so myself. I got the recipe from J. Wayne Fears, "The Complete Book of Dutch Oven Cooking" pg. 111. Since we didn't have all the ingredients, I improvised a bite and it still came out good.

          Good Luck,

          Greg

        • BSAT80ASM@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 14, 2010
            Two Dutch Oven Chicken Parmesan

            In a 12 DO cook thin spaghetti until almost al dente.

            In a second 12 DO start heating about 3/4 of an inch of oil.

            Butterfly a package of chicken breasts,

            Make an egg wash (2 eggs and either some water or milk)

            coat chicken with egg wash and then dip in Italian bread crumbs
            (I like supremo italiano bread crumbs)
            Re dip in egg wash and then bread crumbs.

            Place in oil and cook on each side until almost done.
            Remove and place on a drain tray or paper towels.

            Drain spaghetti and dry DO.
            Coat DO with some oil from DO you cooked the chicken in.
            Drain and wipe out DO you cooked chicken in.

            Divide spaghetti between both DO

            Mix in your favorite gravy (SAUCE)

            Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top add chicken place one teaspoon of sauce on each piece of chicken and spread out. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top of chicken then cover with mozzarella cheese.

            Add coals to both DO about 350 to 400 degrees. About 20 minutes. Check Chicken and cheese.
            If cheese has not browned add more coals and check in five minutes.

            This will serve 16 hungry scouts.

            I have made this ahead of time at home and just dumped the bags of items into a DO and heated for 30 minutes. Tastes almost as good as fresh made but the chicken gets a little soggy.

            Ken
            The Other Ken

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 15, 2010
              Ronda, I get the concept, but I have never used my oven yet and I need as much hand holding as I can get!!!

              But, since you say that I have another question. We will be at the beach and used to have an RV oven to cook stuffies in. I no longer have the RV. Can I do the same with the stuffed quohogs? Just stuff 'em and throw 'em in the DO? Can I layer them in there?

              Thanks again! Tricia

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 15, 2010
                Yes, can use it just like any home or RV oven, just think of it as a smaller
                scale, and able to contain liquids. If boiling, mostly heat underneath; broiling
                = mostly top heat; baking = about 2/3rds top and 1/3rd bottom.

                Mark

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 15, 2010
                  Well I had to google to see what the heck quohogs were! But yeah, you should be able to do those!Just not sure about the layering. I saw two different methods. One they were baked, the other the stuff was all browned, then just kinda heated. Either should be ok. Do you have the heat chart that shows how to determine the heat in the DO? I'm sure it's in the files. If you can't find it let me know & I'll send it to you. I'm not sure about the layering. For sure if you were just reheating the ones with the fried filling layering would work. For baking, I'm not sure. Seems to me you'd have to move them around to get an even heat on all of them, to get them done. That is just not a recipe I'm familiar with! (We're in Kansas.) Maybe you should share some recipes with us!? Ronda

                  --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "quietlber" <tricia576@...> wrote:

                  > Ronda, I get the concept, but I have never used my oven yet and I need as much hand holding as I can get!!!
                  >
                  > But, since you say that I have another question. We will be at the beach and used to have an RV oven to cook stuffies in. I no longer have the RV. Can I do the same with the stuffed quohogs? Just stuff 'em and throw 'em in the DO? Can I layer them in there?
                  >
                  > Thanks again! Tricia
                  >
                  > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "rlb_51" <rlb_51@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Have you ever made it before, at home? If so, use the same recipe. It doesnt have to be a dutch oven recipe. Ronda
                  > >
                  > > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "quietlber" <tricia576@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I would like to make a nice, but easy chicken parm while camping next week. Anyone have a recipe or direct me where to find one?
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks!

                • quietlber
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 25, 2010
                    Thanks all for the information I have received on using my oven! I have been reading all the messages, recipes, books and websites I could find since this past Christmas. I have been so nervous about using it...and getting it clean again! But last week while on vacation at the beach we used it several times. And, all went great. It really is easier than one would think. The chicken parm was the first meal. Thanks for reminding me anything in the oven can be done in the DO!

                    Looking forward to many more meals, Tricia and Mike!