Re: BBQ and sweets for the fourth of July

  • TERE
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 30, 2010
      HOT FUDGE PUDDIN' CAKE

      1 1/2 cups sugar
      2 cups flour
      6 Tbsp cocoa
      4 tsp baking powder
      1/2 tsp salt
      2/3 cup melted butter, cooled
      1 cup milk
      3-4 tsp vanilla

      Mix above ingredients together & pour into a greased 12" Dutch oven ...

      Combine..

      1 cup sugar
      1 cup brown sugar
      8 Tbsp cocoa

      And sprinkle evenly over the top of the cake mix... Then pour

      2 1/2 cups hot water on top. DO NOT STIR!!!!!!!!! Trust Me it will work.

      Bake 35-40 minutes at 350 degrees.
      (8 coals on bottom/ 17 on top (19 if deep))

      COWBOY CARMEL APPLE CAKE (Cromer)

      2 Cups flour
      1 stick butter (use the real thing You won't regret it!)
      2 cups sugar
      3 Golden Delicious Apples, cored & sliced
      4 teaspoons baking powder
      1 cup brown sugar
      1/4 teaspoon salt
      1/2-1 tablespoon cinnamon (depends on liking of cinnamon)
      1 1/2 cups milk
      1/4 cup slivered almonds, optional for cake topping or guest's use
      1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping, optional for cake top/guest's use

      Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and milk together. Do not over mix batter. Get a 12" Dutch oven Hot on top & bottom. Melt the butter in the oven and let it sit for a few minutes. Add cake batter into the Dutch oven, then add the apple slices to the top of the batter, just put them on the top. Sprinkle the brown sugar on the top of the cake and sprinkle the cinnamon right on the top also.

      Cook for about 40 minutes with 12 pieces of charcoal on the bottom and about 14-16 on top (16-18 if deep). At 40 minutes stick a knife in the cake and make sure it comes out clean (then it is done). Remove from the bottom charcoal and leave the charcoal on the top. let the top brown real nice on the cake. When done You can either drizzle the cake with the caramel topping and sprinkle with the almonds or just make both available for those guests who want to add those to their pieces. With the nuts allergies it is sometimes best to leave nuts off! ENJOY Adding ice cream or regular cream can make this a real decadent treat. (And yes I do make this at Round Ups but no ice cream just a tall glass of milk!!)

      COOKED APPLES

      8 apples (Golden Delicious work great!)
      4 tablespoons butter, softened
      1/2 cup brown sugar
      2 tablespoons corn starch
      1/2 teaspoon salt
      1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
      1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
      1/8 teaspoon cloves (if desired)
      extra butter for inside of Dutch oven

      Preheat Dutch oven to 300 degrees
      10" 3 coals on bottom / 13 on top (14-15 if deep)
      12" 5 coals on bottom / 13 on top (15 if deep)

      Put butter out to soften (if you forgot be sure to cut into very small pieces).
      Core apples & cut into desired size. (quartered or sliced but not too thin) I put them into lightly salted water to prevent them from turning brown. (Don't have lemon with me on Round Ups or camping trips but do have salt.) Drain well before putting in Dutch oven.

      Mix brown sugar, corn starch, salt, cinnamon & nutmeg (cloves, if desired).

      Butter the inside & lid of the preheated Dutch oven with the extra butter. Now put the 4 tablespoons of butter in preheated Dutch oven as it is melting add the sugar mixtures, when butter is almost completely melted add the apples and stir until all is mixed well and apples are coated well with the sugar mixture. If a few, are not coated, cover and stir later try not lose too much heat.

      Cover & cook 10 minutes. Uncover and stir making sure all is mixed well again. Cover & cook 20-30 minutes or until apples & sauce are to your liking. Your sauce will thicken and may become somewhat clear. Some of this will depend of how thick you made your apples. If too thin you will end up with applesauce....

      Hope these are some things you can use and enjoy for your 4th of July BBQ!!! TERE who is headed for San Diego where it isn't 113+ in the shade like on her back porch in hot KofA

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 3, 2010
        Some good recipe's there Tere !  Have a safe trip !