Re: [dutchovencooking] First time poster and first DO dinner

  • BSAT80ASM@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , May 3, 2010
      Roger

      Since you will have 2 DO's you can make a quick 40 in 1. 2 cups of cinnamon sugar in a gal. size Ziploc bag.
      Use the cheapest buttermilk biscuits in the tube, Put 5 at a time in the Ziploc bag and shake. Stand up on edge
      in the DO. I can get 40 in both the 12" and 10" DO. Pour the extra Cinnamon sugar on the biscuits. Top with 1
      stick of butter cut into pats. Cook at 350 for about 20 minutes. Let everyone pull off pieces and dip in some icing
      use the ready made icing.

      As far as the wind, I use aluminum flashing from Lowe's with a a few clips in a circle to block the wind, Cheap, easy and adjustable.

      Ken
      The Other Ken

      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2010
        It's hard to get anything to cook right in a 40mph wind ! It will cause coals to burn faster, and the brand/type of charcoal will make a difference as well. Sounds like you did well for the circumstances to contend with.

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2010
          Congrats on your first dinner and getting it done on time. Sounds like you need some wind screens though! That will help with the wind problem. You shouldn't have had to use that much charcoal.
          Get the 12" deep oven - you won't be sorry. We have 4 of those I think, and use them a lot.
          Look in the files section for dessert recipes. Monkey bread is easy, but Mississippi Swamp cake is easy too, and way more impressive! Ronda

          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Roger" <mionerr@...> wrote:

          > Hi, my name is Roger from Pueblo, CO and this is my first post.
          > Earlier this year my children gave me the DO I'd been wanting for a few years. I've been doing a lot of reading on the subject and finally took the plunge yesterday with my first attempt at a meal. See, we're going camping with the children and their families next weekend and I promised them I'd cook a dinner for them one night in the DO they gave me. My loving spouse thought it would be a good idea to practice first. What a concept!
          > I chose a stew recipe for my first attempt, one that has been a favorite of mine for a long time. Well, I went out at 3:00 pm to start the coals and was greeted with 40 mph wind. It took a while to get the coals going. I ended up along the side of the house with a glass topped patio table on it's side as a bit of a wind block. I browned the meat and dumped in the rest of the ingredients and let it it cook. I planned on dinner at 6 and it was ready right on time.
          > Question: I used about half a 10 pound bag of charcoal. seems like a lot. was this normal or due to the wind maybe? I used 16 up and 8 down. (recipe called for 375 degree oven)
          > The part I left out was I used too small of a DO. I have a 10" DO which is a good size for my wife and I. All the vegies didn't fit and I ended up cooking some of them in the kitchen oven. I'll be getting a 12" before Friday, for sure.
          > All in all my first experience went well. My wife thought it was great.
          > Now to come up with a dessert.

        • MaryAnn Frerichs
          Message 4 of 9 , May 4, 2010
            Did the Louisiana Swamp cake variation last Saturday after the race, it was a hit.

            MaryAnn

            Congrats on your first dinner and getting it done on time. Sounds like you need some wind screens though! That will help with the wind problem. You shouldn't have had to use that much charcoal.
            Get the 12" deep oven - you won't be sorry. We have 4 of those I think, and use them a lot.
            Look in the files section for dessert recipes. Monkey bread is easy, but Mississippi Swamp cake is easy too, and way more impressive! Ronda

            --- In dutchovencooking@ yahoogroups. com, "Roger" <mionerr@... > wrote:

            > Hi, my name is Roger from Pueblo, CO and this is my first post.
            > Earlier this year my children gave me the DO I'd been wanting for a few years. I've been doing a lot of reading on the subject and finally took the plunge yesterday with my first attempt at a meal. See, we're going camping with the children and their families next weekend and I promised them I'd cook a dinner for them one night in the DO they gave me. My loving spouse thought it would be a good idea to practice first. What a concept!
            > I chose a stew recipe for my first attempt, one that has been a favorite of mine for a long time. Well, I went out at 3:00 pm to start the coals and was greeted with 40 mph wind. It took a while to get the coals going. I ended up along the side of the house with a glass topped patio table on it's side as a bit of a wind block. I browned the meat and dumped in the rest of the ingredients and let it it cook. I planned on dinner at 6 and it was ready right on time.
            > Question: I used about half a 10 pound bag of charcoal. seems like a lot. was this normal or due to the wind maybe? I used 16 up and 8 down. (recipe called for 375 degree oven)
            > The part I left out was I used too small of a DO. I have a 10" DO which is a good size for my wife and I. All the vegies didn't fit and I ended up cooking some of them in the kitchen oven. I'll be getting a 12" before Friday, for sure.
            > All in all my first experience went well. My wife thought it was great.
            > Now to come up with a dessert.

          • Roger
            Message 5 of 9 , May 4, 2010
              Thanks, The Other Ken,
              If it was my family, sweet is good, but her kids don't have sweet teeth (tooths?) so cinnamon bisquits sound perfect. Wait, this looks like Monkey Bread. That works.
              As far as wind, it was a bit of a surprise that day and died off while we were eating. I might use some old cookie sheets that I have used in the past as a reflector oven for a wind break.
            • Roger
              Message 6 of 9 , May 4, 2010
                Thanks, Ronda,
                I think I have the wind screen problem fixed.
                I tend to cook things from scratch. My wife and I both have food issues and I can control what we eat better. Monkey Bread is similar to a pull apart bread I usually make on Christmas morning. My step daughter will like it for sure; she's mentioned it from her Girl Scout Days. I'm looking forward to trying some of my old standby recipes in the DO as well as some of the DO standbys.

                Roger
              • TERE
                Message 7 of 9 , May 4, 2010
                  One time I put the pickup truck and my Tahoe at the end of our toy hauler making a triangle space and cooked in the middle It helped break the wind. Another time when the wind was quite a problem, the Triple Chocolate Cake was done 3/4 of the sides with 1/4 side of goo... they just got spoons and ate the goo LOL TERE