Re: Region II DOG

  • rjferguson67
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 8, 2010
      WOW! What happened to the old days when all you needed to do to participate in a DOG was to SHOW UP, Cook Well and Have FUN?

      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "lilmame" <lilmame@...>

> [...]
      >

      > April 1, 2009
      >

      > No refunds after 3-15-2010
      >

      > Registration fee per family $25.00 (Fri - Sun)
      > Individual $10 (Fri - Sun)
      > Sat only $5.00 per individual
      >

      > Total $______________
      >

      > Make Checks / Money orders payable to: SLO DOG
      >
      > Lillie Merritt
      >
      > PO Box 291
      >
      > Shandon, CA 93461
      >

      > Make your site reservations with the park: NOTE: Tell them you are with Region 2 DOG
      >

      > FOR INFORMATION OR RESERVATIONS CALL: (831) 385-5964
      > ***** Note: This must be included with registration! *****
      >
      > RELEASE OF LIABILITY
      > READ CAREFULLY - THIS AFFECTS YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS
      >

      > In exchange for participation in the 2010 IDOS Region II Dutch Oven Gathering activity of International Dutch Oven Society (IDOS) and SLO DOG, events organized by IDOS or SLO DOG and it's employees, representatives or agents and/or use of the property, facilities owned, rented, or leased by and services of IDOS and SLO DOG. I agree for myself and (if applicable) for the members of my family, to the following:
      >

      > 1. I agree to observe and obey any posted rules and warnings, and further agree to follow any oral instructions or directions given by IDOS or SLO DOG, the employees, representatives or agents of IDOS or SLO DOG..
      >

      > 2. I recognize that there are certain inherent risks associated with the above described activity and I assume full responsibility for personal injury to myself and (if applicable) my family members, and further release and discharge IDOS or SLO DOG, the employees, representatives or agents of IDOS or SLO DOG for injury, loss or damage arising out of my or my family's use of our presence upon the facilities owned, rented, or leased by IDOS or SLO DOG, the employees, representatives or agents of IDOS or SLO DOG, whether caused by the fault of myself, my family, IDOS or SLO DOG, the employees, representatives or agents of IDOS or SLO DOG or other third parties.
      >

      > 3. I agree to indemnify and defend IDOS or SLO DOG, the employees, representatives or agents of IDOS or SLO DOG against all claims, causes of action, damages, judgments, costs or expenses, including attorney fees and other litigation costs, which may in any way arise to my or my family's use of or presence upon the facilities owned, rented, leased by IDOS or SLO DOG, the employees, representatives or agents of IDOS or SLO DOG.
      >

      > 4. I agree to pay for all damages to the facilities owned, rented, leased by IDOS or SLO DOG, the employees, representatives or agents of IDOS or SLO DOG caused by my or my family's negligent, reckless, or willful actions.
      >

      > 5. Any legal or equitable claim that may arise from participation in the above shall be resolved under California law.
      >

      > I HAVE READ THIS DOCUMENT AND UNDERSTAND IT. I FURTHER UNDERSTAND THAT BY SIGNING THIS RELEASE, I VOLUNTARY SURRENDER CERTAIN LEGAL RIGHTS

    • Ken
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 8, 2010
        Personally, this reads more like the registration sheet for a sanctioned cookoff event. Even if you register for the National DOG, you never have any of this to deal with.

        Usually people who are smart enough to light charcoal or boil water don't need all this. Possibly things are different in California.

        Ken

        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "rjferguson67" <rjferguson67@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > >

        > > 4. I agree to pay for all damages to the facilities owned, rented, leased by IDOS or SLO DOG, the employees, representatives or agents of IDOS or SLO DOG caused by my or my family's negligent, reckless, or willful actions.
        > >

        > > 5. Any legal or equitable claim that may arise from participation in the above shall be resolved under California law.
        > >

        > > I HAVE READ THIS DOCUMENT AND UNDERSTAND IT. I FURTHER UNDERSTAND THAT BY SIGNING THIS RELEASE, I VOLUNTARY SURRENDER CERTAIN LEGAL RIGHTS

      • mwarner51
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 9, 2010
          "... personally, this reads more like the registration sheet for a sanctioned cookoff event. ... Usually people who are smart enough to light charcoal or boil water don't need all this. Possibly things are different in California."

          And New York and most of the Great Lakes states. In our "sue 'em every time you break a fingernail" society, you have to cover your ... errr ... ahhh ... deriere from being sued into oblivion.

          Not long ago a cub scout picked up a pack of matches at a local girl scout camp (overnight outing) that was lying on a picnic table. He took it home (watch it - it's coming ...) and playing with the matches, burned down the family house. Parents sued the girl scouts, boy scouts and the pack leaders.

          Maybe life's simpler in the fly-over states and we can just cook.

          Mike in NY
        • beeman
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 9, 2010
            Well, three things come to mind when I read this registration. One is that due to past problems that turned into serious headaches, they need to add this information. The second is that they let a lawyer get involved with the planning of the DOG. Third is that people don't take responsibility for their own actions any more. They are too quick to blame someone else and try to hold them financially responsible even though they come to the vicinity of the event.

          • Don Lohr
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 9, 2010
              I didn't see the "Force Majeure" clause in the agreement.

              WOW... That's a DOG I wouldn't want to attend. I'm sure there are details outlined but not mentioned for:

              - firebuilding
              - use of charcoal
              - safe handling of food
              - proper disposal of refuge... not excluding hot coals and ashes
              - dress code enforcement
              - types of entertainment permitted

              ________________________________
> [...]

              > > 4. I agree to pay for all damages to the facilities owned, rented, leased by IDOS or SLO DOG, the employees, representatives or agents of IDOS or SLO DOG caused by my or my family's negligent, reckless, or willful actions.
              > >

              > > 5. Any legal or equitable claim that may arise from participation in the above shall be resolved under California law.
              > >

              > > I HAVE READ THIS DOCUMENT AND UNDERSTAND IT. I FURTHER UNDERSTAND THAT BY SIGNING THIS RELEASE, I VOLUNTARY SURRENDER CERTAIN LEGAL RIGHTS

            • Mark
              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 9, 2010
                Also, what if a wind comes up and blows ash from your coals on your pots onto the grass or toward someone elses cooking area? Are you going to be fined are sued for that? It sounds as if rouls can be made up as they wish.

                Mark G.

                --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Don Lohr <dfltil@...> wrote:

                > I didn't see the "Force Majeure" clause in the agreement.
                >

                > WOW... That's a DOG I wouldn't want to attend. I'm sure there are details outlined but not mentioned for:
                >
                > - firebuilding
                > - use of charcoal
                > - safe handling of food
                > - proper disposal of refuge... not excluding hot coals and ashes
                > - dress code enforcement
                > - types of entertainment permitted
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Barbara A.
                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 9, 2010
                  Gosh, you guys, someone advertises their event on this forum and you all pick it apart.  Here in California, we do have to be careful about things like coals and ashes or the parks/campgrounds won't let our groups use them.  Some places want us to cover the picnic tables with wood, that we set our hot pots on.  We do what we have to, to hold our DOGs.  Don't know what else was in there that you object to, but I imagine the original sender regrets sending it.

                  Corona~Barb who wishes she COULD get away and attend this great DOG

                • JULIE JORDAN
                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 9, 2010
                    I agree with Barbara.  I hope the people putting on this DOG have a great time!  I think we need to remember the good old, "If you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all" attitude. Julie from San Berdoo

                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 9, 2010
                      I wasn't trying to pick it apart. I just commented about the overabundance (in my view) of rules and regulations.

                      Things must be very different in California.

                      Down here, we believe in Food, Fun, and Fellowship. We also believe people are intelligent enough to do what is proper without having to sign forms and waivers.

                      I hope everything works out for y'all.

                      Ken

                      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Barbara A." <flowergirl909@...> wrote:

                      > Gosh, you guys, someone advertises their event on this forum and you all pick it apart.  Here in California, we do have to be careful about things like coals and ashes or the parks/campgrounds won't let our groups use them.  Some places want us to cover the picnic tables with wood, that we set our hot pots on.  We do what we have to, to hold our DOGs.  Don't know what else was in there that you object to, but I imagine the original sender regrets sending it.
                      >
                      > Corona~Barb who wishes she COULD get away and attend this great DOG

                    • Ellen Williams
                      Message 10 of 26 , Mar 9, 2010
                        It does get crazy and some people try to blame anyone else for their problems, but I would love to go to any place now that is
                        doing a DOG. We have 2 feet of snow and have had fog for 10 days straight. No sun in 10 days makes people grouchy!! Plus
                        we could get 4-6 inches of snow tonight.

                        Oh to see the sun and to cook outside!!!

                        Ellen Williams
                        North Dakota

                        > "... personally, this reads more like the registration sheet for a
                        > sanctioned cookoff event. ... Usually people who are smart enough to
                        > light charcoal or boil water don't need all this. Possibly things are
                        > different in California."
                        >
                        > And New York and most of the Great Lakes states. In our "sue 'em every
                        > time you break a fingernail" society, you have to cover your ... errr
                        > ... ahhh ... deriere from being sued into oblivion.
                        >
                        > Not long ago a cub scout picked up a pack of matches at a local girl
                        > scout camp (overnight outing) that was lying on a picnic table. He
                        > took it home (watch it - it's coming ...) and playing with the
                        > matches, burned down the family house. Parents sued the girl scouts,
                        > boy scouts and the pack leaders.
                        >
                        > Maybe life's simpler in the fly-over states and we can just cook.
                        >
                        > Mike in NY

                      • DOPaul
                        Message 11 of 26 , Mar 9, 2010
                          Hi there. Read your post but I can't find out who you are. I'm a member of the SOCAL chapter and would like to attend, but can't seem to locate the SLO group for additional info on the Region 11 DOG. IDOS only shows the SOCAL, Central Valley, and the Sequoia chapters for California. I must be looking in the wrong place. Do you have a Web site?

                          Thanks,
                        • johnfg2525
                          Message 12 of 26 , Mar 9, 2010
                            "Ken" <savage99_250@...> wrote:

                            > Things must be very different in California.

                            LOL! Hee,hee! You have no idea! I have to laugh about it, otherwise I think I would lose my mind!
                            John
                          • Bill
                            Message 13 of 26 , Mar 9, 2010
                              Go here:

                              Message 14 of 26 , Mar 9, 2010
                                I guess that's why I like the LSDOS so much...

                                Randy Bear

                                Also, what if a wind comes up and blows ash from your coals on your pots
                                onto the grass or toward someone elses cooking area? Are you going to be
                                fined are sued for that? It sounds as if rouls can be made up as they wish.

                                Mark G.

                                --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Don Lohr <dfltil@...> wrote:

                                > I didn't see the "Force Majeure" clause in the agreement.
                                >

                                > WOW... That's a DOG I wouldn't want to attend. I'm sure there are details
                                outlined but not mentioned for:

                                > - firebuilding
                                > - use of charcoal
                                > - safe handling of food
                                > - proper disposal of refuge... not excluding hot coals and ashes
                                > - dress code enforcement
                                > - types of entertainment permitted
                                >

                                > ________________________________

                              • lilmame
                                Message 15 of 26 , Mar 9, 2010
                                  Ok you guys.
                                  Yes things are different in CA. I'm glad you all live where people are responsibly but I can't afford if someone screws up and I'm the one they come after for money. And it is sad that a handshake is not binding anymore. But most of us are grown up and have big girl panties the we pull up and don't let people get us down.
                                  I'm looking forward to this DOG and hope to recruit some new member out of it. and I'm sorry if you are offended by my email but I need to get the registration form out to one who I don't have their yahoo group addy or to the groups who didn't let me post it in the files.

                                  Lillie
                                  SLO DOG

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Mar 10, 2010
                                    Has nothing to do with whether it is LSDOS or IDOS or any other group. Its about liability and the requirements by the property owner or jurisdiction on its use.

                                    ________________________________
                                    I guess that's why I like the LSDOS so much...

                                    Randy Bear

                                    Also, what if a wind comes up and blows ash from your coals on your pots
                                    onto the grass or toward someone elses cooking area? Are you going to be
                                    fined are sued for that? It sounds as if rouls can be made up as they wish.

                                    Mark G.

                                    --- In dutchovencooking@ yahoogroups. com, Don Lohr <dfltil@...> wrote:

                                    > I didn't see the "Force Majeure" clause in the agreement.
                                    >

                                    > WOW... That's a DOG I wouldn't want to attend. I'm sure there are details
                                    outlined but not mentioned for:

                                    > - firebuilding
                                    > - use of charcoal
                                    > - safe handling of food
                                    > - proper disposal of refuge... not excluding hot coals and ashes
                                    > - dress code enforcement
                                    > - types of entertainment permitted
                                    >

                                    > ____________ _________ _________ __

                                  • omar alvarez
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Mar 10, 2010
                                      Well said Mark....do you plan on attending the Taste of Dutch this April at the IDOS April convention ??

                                        Love to cook with the Legendary Mark Wilkins again !!!!!!!!!!

                                                 omar

                                      Has nothing to do with whether it is LSDOS or IDOS or any other group. Its about liability and the requirements by the property owner or jurisdiction on its use.

                                      ____________ _________ _________ __
                                      I guess that's why I like the LSDOS so much...

                                      Randy Bear

                                      Also, what if a wind comes up and blows ash from your coals on your pots
                                      onto the grass or toward someone elses cooking area? Are you going to be
                                      fined are sued for that? It sounds as if rouls can be made up as they wish.

                                      Mark G.

                                      --- In dutchovencooking@ yahoogroups. com, Don Lohr <dfltil@...> wrote:

                                      > I didn't see the "Force Majeure" clause in the agreement.
                                      >

                                      > WOW... That's a DOG I wouldn't want to attend. I'm sure there are details
                                      outlined but not mentioned for:

                                      > - firebuilding
                                      > - use of charcoal
                                      > - safe handling of food
                                      > - proper disposal of refuge... not excluding hot coals and ashes
                                      > - dress code enforcement
                                      > - types of entertainment permitted
                                      >

                                      > ____________ _________ _________ __

                                    • Richard Young
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Mar 10, 2010
                                        Easy Omar, his head is big enough. I've cooked with him several times, ain't nothing special!

                                        Now Gary, that is another conversation.

                                        richard

                                        Well said Mark....do you plan on attending the Taste of Dutch this April at the IDOS April convention ??

                                        Love to cook with the Legendary Mark Wilkins again !!!!!!!!!!

                                        omar

                                        Has nothing to do with whether it is LSDOS or IDOS or any other group. Its about liability and the requirements by the property owner or jurisdiction on its use.

                                        ____________ _________ _________ __
                                        I guess that's why I like the LSDOS so much...

                                        Randy Bear

                                        Also, what if a wind comes up and blows ash from your coals on your pots
                                        onto the grass or toward someone elses cooking area? Are you going to be
                                        fined are sued for that? It sounds as if rouls can be made up as they wish.

                                        Mark G.

                                        --- In dutchovencooking@ yahoogroups. com, Don Lohr <dfltil@...> wrote:

                                        > I didn't see the "Force Majeure" clause in the agreement.
                                        >

                                        > WOW... That's a DOG I wouldn't want to attend. I'm sure there are details
                                        outlined but not mentioned for:

                                        > - firebuilding
                                        > - use of charcoal
                                        > - safe handling of food
                                        > - proper disposal of refuge... not excluding hot coals and ashes
                                        > - dress code enforcement
                                        > - types of entertainment permitted
                                        >

                                        > ____________ _________ _________ __

                                      • Will Shattuck
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Mar 12, 2010
                                          I came to this conversation late, but this one line in the agreement would
                                          prevent me from coming. I read most of the software End User License
                                          Agreements (EULA) that come across my computer, and this one line scares me
                                          more than any. This basically gives all your rights away for a verbal
                                          instruction that may or may not have been heard.

                                          On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 7:37 PM, rlb_51 <rlb_51@...> wrote:

                                          > Me too Randy. Some folks are responsible and take of things the way they
                                          > should. Don't have to worry about folks who will try to place blame
                                          > elsewhere. Ronda
                                          >
                                          > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Hebert" <RandyHebert@...>
                                          > wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > I guess that's why I like the LSDOS so much...
                                          > >
                                          > > Randy Bear

                                          Will Shattuck
                                          Shattuck After Hours Computer Service
                                          http://www.willthecomputerguy.com
                                          http://www.willshattuck.com

                                          "When you get to your wit's end, you'll find God lives there."

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Mar 13, 2010
                                            a couple of reasons
                                              Government
                                              Lawyers

                                            ________________________________
> [...]

                                            > 4. I agree to pay for all damages to the facilities owned, rented, leased by IDOS or SLO DOG, the employees, representatives or agents of IDOS or SLO DOG caused by my or my family's negligent, reckless, or willful actions.
                                            >

                                            > 5. Any legal or equitable claim that may arise from participation in the above shall be resolved under California law.
                                            >

                                            > I HAVE READ THIS DOCUMENT AND UNDERSTAND IT. I FURTHER UNDERSTAND THAT BY SIGNING THIS RELEASE, I VOLUNTARY SURRENDER CERTAIN LEGAL RIGHTS

                                          • Outpost Jim
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Mar 13, 2010
                                              I think killing all of the lawyers is a bit harsh. Maybe just every
                                              third one?
                                            • lilmame
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Mar 23, 2010
                                                I apologize to all life has a way of messing up things. Yes the Region II DOG is on . It's at the San Lorenzo Park in King City. You will need to make your reservation there.

                                                We will have a meet and greet on Fri night Apr 30 about 7pm.
                                                I planned 2 classes on Sat May 1 a Dutch oven 101 and some kind of bread class.
                                                We will have a dessert cook -off due at 3pm on May 1.
                                                The park we are at has many interesting buildings and museums so there will be time to poke around there .
                                                Sun. morning will be a potluck breakfast.

                                                Lillie

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Mar 24, 2010
                                                  Sounds like FUN! If you see Brenda...Give her a ((((Biscuit Speedo Hug))))I went to the Beach dog once and had a wondeful time in Southern Cal.
                                                • JULIE JORDAN
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Mar 24, 2010
                                                    Hi Lillie,I hope you all have a GREAT time at your Region II DOG.  Julie from San Berdoo

                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Apr 26, 2010
                                                      Anyone how hasn't registered yet for the DOG can come anyway. April 30-May 2 at San Lorenzo Park in King City CA

                                                      Lillie
                                                      I don't have a short attention span, I just......Oh look... a kitty !
                                                      Every time I hear the dirty word "exercise"
                                                      I wash my mouth out with chocolate

                                                      Life's journey is not to
                                                      arrive at the grave safely
                                                      in a well preserved body,