Biscuits in a DO

  • Chuck
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 21, 2010
      Hello All,
      I am wanting to fix some Biscuits and Gravy next weekend. I see pictures of Biscuits in the DO's do you use Canned biscuits and then flour each end or do you all use mix and hand cut them? Thanks!
    • Wally Dennis
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 21, 2010
        I use booth canned and made from scratch.
        Wa.lly

        ________________________________
        I am wanting to fix some Biscuits and Gravy next weekend. I see pictures of Biscuits in the DO's do you use Canned biscuits and then flour each end or do you all use mix and hand cut them? Thanks!

      • Greg Jacobs
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 22, 2010
          Hello,I have done both. Depending upon the people who were over for dinner, if they are close friends, I made the biscuts from scratch. Otherwise Pilsbury Grands.

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 22, 2010
            Here is the recipe that I us in all of my Seminars. I recommend them if
            prepared and baked as described.

            Dave Horton
            Course Advisor
            Committee Chairman
            "WHITE BUFFALO"
            NYLT 2010
            4700 Langford Rd
            North Collins, NY 14111
            C-238-3599
            dave@...
            _www.dutchovendave.com_ (http://www.dutchovendave.com/)
            "I Used To Be A Beaver"
            WB NEVII -5

            Don't follow where the path may lead... Go where there is no path and
            leave a trail."

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 22, 2010
              I didn't see the recipe you propose. Can you resend ?

              Mark

              ________________________________

              dave@dutchovendave. com
              _www.dutchovendave. com_ (http://www.dutchovendave.com/)
              "I Used To Be A Beaver"
              WB NEVII -5

              Don't follow where the path may lead... Go where there is no path and
              leave a trail."

              Reply to sender | Reply to group Messages in this topic (4)
              Recent Activity: * New Members 3 * New Photos 2 * New Links 13
              Visit Your Group Start a New Topic
              Then click on "Leave Group".

              .

            • fran_lg
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 22, 2010
                Hi Mark,

                Check out Dave's recipes -- "Sonja's Biscuits" at
                http://www.dutchovendave.com/recipes/recipes.html

                If I remember the story correctly, Sonja is a grandmother of Native American descent that gave Dave the recipe.

                Fran L-G
                Cleveland OH

              • DutchOvenDave@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 23, 2010
                  SONJA’S BISCUITS
                  Grandmother’s Recipe

                  Prep: Approximately 10 minutes
                  Cook: 12 minutes
                  Serves: 12 large biscuits or 24 small biscuits
                  3- cups Flour
                  3-(heaping) Tbls Baking Powder
                  1-tsp Salt
                  1-Handful Crisco (1-cup)
                  2-cups Milk
                  Stir
                  Knead
                  Blend until pasty
                  Cut into shape 1 ½” thick
                  Cook at 500 degrees for 12 minutes
                  14” DO
                  BAKING-
                  Oven Diameter X 2= # of coals for 350deg.
                  Oven Diameter X 3= # of coals for 450deg.
                  Each briquette is worth approximately 10 degrees so add enough to meet
                  temperature requirements
                  - place 2/3 + 2 on top, 1/3 - 2 underneath.
                  - if using a deep oven, treat it as if 2" wider, FOR TOP ONLY
                  For example, 14” DO use approximately 50 Charcoal briquettes, 14 on
                  bottom-36 on top.

                • Jean
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 23, 2010
                    I just glanced at the subject & thought it said "Biscuit, in a DO" as in Mississippi Biscuit in a DO.

                    Shows how tired I am this evening.

                    LOL
                    Jean in NC
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 24, 2010
                      Hey Jean! How in the world have yall been? Have not heard from you in a long time. What's cooking in NC?

                      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Jean" <JGWatts@...> wrote:

                      > I just glanced at the subject & thought it said "Biscuit, in a DO" as in Mississippi Biscuit in a DO.
                      >
                      > Shows how tired I am this evening.
                      >
                      > LOL
                      > Jean in NC

                    • Jean
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 27, 2010
                        Just working & watching the snow melt. Haven't been able able to do much Dutch Oven cooking. Oh, yeah & making sure Rick gets to work at his new job.