Group Photo: Elk Festival 2009 in Jasper AR (Re: Group Photo?)

  • fran_lg
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 1, 2010
      Oh my gosh! I had no idea the temps were that high! I could see some of the folks had watered their clothing down in some of those photos -- that was the hint that the weather was rather uncomfortable. Did anyone suffer heat stroke? You guys are real troopers.

      Fran L-G
      Cleveland OH

    • billryan@bayoupots.org
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 1, 2010
        No everyone made through the day. Good thing was the area we cooked in was shaded by trees. The amazing thing was Doug made a cheese cake with chocolate topping and it was setup fine.
        Bill

        From: "fran_lg" <fran_lg@...>
        Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 10:40:41
        To: <dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com>
        Subject: [dutchovencooking] Group Photo: Elk Festival 2009 in Jasper AR (Re: Group Photo?)

        Oh my gosh! I had no idea the temps were that high! I could see some of the folks had watered their clothing down in some of those photos -- that was the hint that the weather was rather uncomfortable. Did anyone suffer heat stroke? You guys are real troopers.

        Fran L-G
        Cleveland OH

        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Bill Ryan <billryan@...> wrote:

        > Fran,
        > I was there and it was 100 by 11 AM that day. Made it really interesting cooking. I think the final temp hit about 104 that day.
        >
        > Bill

      • Doug
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 1, 2010
          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, billryan@... wrote:
          >One of my cooking partners got too hot that day and we had to put him in the shade for a little while to cool down. It was tough.
          I got lucky with the cheesecake. Just kept it in a ice chest wrapped in a trash bag till it was turn in time.
          The team in the picture is "The Old Timer's". They are 2 sister's and one of the ladies husband...and the ladies are always in those dresses. And boy can they cook! They are always one of the teams that you have to beat in order to win because they almost always place!

          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 2, 2010
            "The Old Timer's".

            Was one of the Ladies name Jimma? There use to be two ladies that cooked at Rison, called The Grayhawk Grannies. They were good and beat ya everytime.I threw in the towel, when they were cooking.
          • Doug
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 2, 2010
              Yep, Ms Jimma Hampton and her husband Leon....no nicer people in the world and she is still hard to beat!

              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 27, 2010
                Is this a Woody Oven?
              • Dutch Oven Diva
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 27, 2010
                  Yes, but this is only 1/2 of the oven. The bottom 1/2 and the small screw like legs are not showing.