Hoppin John

  • chloesham
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2003
      Hi,

      Anybody have a great recipe for the traditional News Years "hoppin
      John"

      Thanks,

      Kay
    • K-Bob <Robell@gmx.net>
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 1, 2003
        Eating Hoppin John on New Years Day will bring good luck in the coming year.

        My black eyed peas are cooking right now.

        1# dried blackeye peas (frijol carita), cleaned and soaked
        1 big onion chopped
        1 bell pepper chopped
        2 stalks celery chopped
        2 garlic cloves chopped
        2 jalapeno peppers chopped (optional)
        1 8 oz can tomato sauce
        4 thick slices smoked bacon chopped
        1/2# ham scraps
        1/2 bay leaf
        Tony Chacheres Creole seasoning (used instead of salt)
        black pepper
        TexMati brand light brown rice

        Cook black eyed peas with water to barely cover and 1/2 bay leaf. Be careful with water, as you will want a thick mixture.
        When the peas start getting done, fry bacon and reserve. Then fry all vegies in bacon grease.

        Add cooked bacon, vegies and ham scraps to black eyed peas and simmer uncovered until peas are tender and mixture is thickened. Season to taste and serve over cooked rice.

      • dutchovenben <benjammin@gtemail.net>
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2003
          One of my favorite dishes:

          1/2 lb dried black eyed peas
          1 smoked ham hock, or 1 lb diced ham, or 12 oz diced bacon
          1 medium onion, diced
          1 tsp minced garlic
          1 tsp cayenne pepper
          1 jalapeno, diced with seeds and veins removed
          2 tablespoons Tabasco Smoky Chiptle sauce
          1 cup long grain rice

          Soak peas 1 hour in warm water. Drain. Cook ham hock in enough
          water to cover for 30 minutes. Add peas, onion, garlic, cayenne, and
          jalapeno. Simmer to near boil covered for 45 minutes. Stir in rice
          and tabasco sauce. Cook 30 minutes at low, or until rice and peas
          are tender. Remove ham hock. Dice meat and discard fat and bone.
          Return to pot. Add one can stewed diced tomatoes if desired. About
          6 servings (4 if you have me over for dinner).